Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 21,618 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys:

We are a married couple in our mid thirties without kids, and we want to move into a safe neighborhood within walking distance of shopping/restaurant life. Currently we're looking to buy our first home but we don't know much about Providence. We saw nice houses in Hope Village but we are not sure it there are sketchy parts. Could you recommend me some neighborhoods to look at?

Thanks a lot for all the help....

Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 02:36 AM

6 posts, read 10,378 times
Hi Susan! You will want to stay on the other side of Hope St away from North Main. The best area of the East Side is between Hope St & Gano. The closer you get to Gano & North Main, the more "city" it will feel. Another idea is the Pawtuxett Village area in Cranston. A lot of people are choosing that area over the East Side because it's much less expensive, cheaper taxes, & still a "hip" area. Hope this helps!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:05 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhannon View Post
Hi Susan! You will want to stay on the other side of Hope St away from North Main. The best area of the East Side is between Hope St & Gano. The closer you get to Gano & North Main, the more "city" it will feel. Another idea is the Pawtuxett Village area in Cranston. A lot of people are choosing that area over the East Side because it's much less expensive, cheaper taxes, & still a "hip" area. Hope this helps!
I think this paints the East Side of the city with far too broad a brush. You must not specialize in Providence real estate.

Gano St. doesn't go north of Angell St. North of Angell St., if Gano were to continue, the street is called Taber Ave. and it is indeed nice. There are lots of nice places east of there. Blackstone Blvd comes to mind. But none of these are in the area the OP asked about. Hope Village is the commercial district along Hope St. near Rochambeau.

I have friends with two kids who own a house in Hope Village on one of the cross streets to the west of Hope (but east of Camp), purchased approx. one year ago. They find it quite safe. I myself looked for a house over there several years back, but some old school Rhode Islanders, who rarely go to the city and remembered it from 25 years ago, tried to talk me out of it. If I had found a house there at a reasonable price, I would have bought without question. I chose elsewhere in the city but I don't see any reason to steer somebody away from Hope Village area beyond price and a competitive market.

I think there are better values to be had elsewhere in the city, but some folks just want that east side address.

Pawtuxet Village is certainly nice and I agree it is worth consideration, though it is not in the city.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:58 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Hope Village is the area bounded roughly by Rochambeau, East Ave on the Pawtucket line, and North Main Street. It is primarily west of Hope St except for maybe a block or two. It is a solid area for those who can't afford the more expensive sections of the east side- it's a very convenient area in terms of walking and shopping- good access to bus lines. Don't get too close to Miriam or to North Main. The area west of Hope and south of Rochambeau called Mt Hope can be sketchy in parts. A black neighborhood with a drug and crime problem for many years, it is now a mixed bag.The worst parts of the east side, however, have primarily theft and larceny issues- very little violent crime.

Amhannon: The best parts of the East side are the Blackstone and College Hill neighborhoods- the area you described is a small section of College Hill. The Prospect Park environs are better.
Also, I believe most of Pawtuxet Village is in Warwick.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:12 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
The whole point of city data is to give honest advice according to individual perception coupled with factual information and thus to "steer" someone in the best direction!

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-26-2016 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

The whole point of city data is to give honest advice according to individual perception coupled with factual information and thus to "steer" someone in the best direction!

Agents don't steer, it is against federal law.

I'm not going to discuss this trivia further. The OP will decide where they want to be, what they want to spend, and the choice is up to them. As always, I wish them the best.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-26-2016 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-26-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanganbini View Post
Hi Guys:

We are a married couple in our mid thirties without kids, and we want to move into a safe neighborhood within walking distance of shopping/restaurant life. Currently we're looking to buy our first home but we don't know much about Providence. We saw nice houses in Hope Village but we are not sure it there are sketchy parts. Could you recommend me some neighborhoods to look at?

Susan
If you are looking for other neighborhoods where you can walk to great restaurants and shopping, you might check out Broadway/Armory. It is not presently within walking distance of much grocery shopping, though there is Costatino's Venda Ravioli and Fertile Underground. There is a food coop called Urban Greens which is in the process of building a store nearby as well.

I find it safe though others here will disagree. If you scope it out and like what you see, you might consult a real estate professional who has a close eye on the neighborhood itself for guidance.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:09 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
you might check out Broadway/Armory.
I don't think that's what the OP wants.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanganbini View Post
Hi Guys:

Susan

Susan, are you familiar with, or have you visited areas in Providence where you could walk to shopping and restaurants? and what is your budget for purchasing your first home? Also, where in the country are you coming from? Thanks, it would help to get an idea of your frame of reference based on your wants and needs. There is also the issue of whether you have looked for employment in RI.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't think that's what the OP wants.
Why do you say that?

OP is young and looking for a safe neighborhood within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Armory/Broadway fits those criteria. OP could do more to specify pricing, etc., but based on criteria stated so far by OP, Armory/Broadway qualifies. OP was looking in Elmhurst in a different thread, and Armory/Broadway has far better restaurants and shopping than Elmhurst. It has better architecture too, though that was not one of their criteria.

Obviously OP is going to get some ideas here and then explore the neighborhoods on their own. I'm simply giving them an idea about an area I think they should explore based on the desirable qualities they've highlighted. There's a reason that all sorts of great restaurants are in Armory/Broadway; there's a population to support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island