Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
LC would be an hour long commute one way. There are few house rentals there and most would be seasonal.

Are you trying to go rural? if so, look in Foster or Gloucester.
That is nonsense. If you live near the Westport line, you hop on Route 88 and you're in Providence in less than 30 minutes. There are no stoplights in that part of the state. You can drive anywhere in town in less than 10 minutes. You can't predict rental housing anywhere. Sure, a house on the coast would be a winter rental but that's not the case a mile inland.

Little Compton is too rural and remote for my taste but it's a really nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 05:03 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That is nonsense. If you live near the Westport line, you hop on Route 88 and you're in Providence in less than 30 minutes. There are no stoplights in that part of the state. You can drive anywhere in town in less than 10 minutes. You can't predict rental housing anywhere. Sure, a house on the coast would be a winter rental but that's not the case a mile inland.

Little Compton is too rural and remote for my taste but it's a really nice place.
Nonsense is a bit strong don't you think? No one said it wasn't a nice place and you couldn't drive around once you were there!

Sure, if you live near Westport or Fall River it's slightly closer. I often drive to Providence from LC (near the coast) but it is not a quick 30 minutes to the coast.

The OP obviously has a lot of looking around and learning to do since she will be comparing Dallas to this area and they are totally different. Best to come here and look around a bit. Quite a bit.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Also, if you're looking into rural areas, check to see if it's septic and well water as well as whether there is any garbage pickup.
LC has no garbage pickup- so unless you like driving garbage to the dump- this might be an issue in some areas of Cumberland and Smithfield, Exeter, etc.

Frankly, why not just look in the ring suburbs and the places we've already selected- as well as Warwick, Cranston, EP, Johnston, etc? Look for city water & sewer and gas heat. Fairlawn and Oak Hill in Pawtucket might work as well.

Totally ridiculous; northern RI is beautiful, top shelf, educated and family oriented friendly towns, and in the 'modern' world. Many people relocate to northern RI for the excellent highway system/access to anywhere in the state, plus easy to get to Boston. And yes, Westport is a very easy drive to Providence (it is in MA, however, if they need to stay in RI).

Fairlawn, Oak Hill and Pawtucket are definitely not for the OP and her family.

A good week or more is always recommended for relocating families giving them time to look around. An experienced Realtor with relocation experience is high recommended as well.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:16 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I will again repeat: if you're looking into rural areas, check to see if it's septic and well water as well as whether there is any garbage pickup.

Why would Fairlawn, Oak Hill and Pawtucket are definitely not be for the OP and her family?

Old 05-05-2016, 10:03 AM

33 posts, read 30,060 times
beautiful but from providence for a daily commute its too far and traffic is terrible. and also expensive id say warwick would be nice lived there for many years good luck

Old 05-05-2016, 11:46 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Nonsense is a bit strong don't you think? No one said it wasn't a nice place and you couldn't drive around once you were there!

Sure, if you live near Westport or Fall River it's slightly closer. I often drive to Providence from LC (near the coast) but it is not a quick 30 minutes to the coast.

The OP obviously has a lot of looking around and learning to do since she will be comparing Dallas to this area and they are totally different. Best to come here and look around a bit. Quite a bit.
Pick any location in Little Compton you want. Sakonnet Point to Providence Place is 37 miles and that's the longest possible distance. Google Maps says 45 minutes. There is zero chance of finding affordable rental housing there and any year-round rental house is going to be a shorter drive. Even at rush hour, I-195 westbound is rarely more than a 10 minute delay and you can bail out onto city streets on those unusual days when there is some monster accident.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:41 PM

16 posts, read 13,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Pick any location in Little Compton you want. Sakonnet Point to Providence Place is 37 miles and that's the longest possible distance. Google Maps says 45 minutes. There is zero chance of finding affordable rental housing there and any year-round rental house is going to be a shorter drive. Even at rush hour, I-195 westbound is rarely more than a 10 minute delay and you can bail out onto city streets on those unusual days when there is some monster accident.
well i found exactly one rental home in LC but weve since ruled it out. my husband is going to go there before he brings us but i would like to have some ideas and directions as to where he should look and focus his attention because he wont have much time.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:44 PM

16 posts, read 13,562 times
weve been leaning towards Exeter, Riverside and we have a few options in navy on base housing even though my husband is army.

The navy housing is in Portsmouth, newport and middletown. Are these areas good areas for families and for a stay at home mom? I will be home for a bit until im able to find work so Id like to be able to do things by myself and with my daughter. Seems that newport might be too touristy for my tast (is touristy a word?)

Thoughts?

Old 05-05-2016, 06:07 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb714 View Post
weve been leaning towards Exeter, Riverside and we have a few options in navy on base housing even though my husband is army.

The navy housing is in Portsmouth, newport and middletown. Are these areas good areas for families and for a stay at home mom? I will be home for a bit until im able to find work so Id like to be able to do things by myself and with my daughter. Seems that newport might be too touristy for my tast (is touristy a word?)

Thoughts?
Newport is definitely very touristy, but something I really like about it is that it's also very much a real place where people really live. Its public schools generally aren't very well respected, if that means anything to you. Middletown is a beautiful place and might be the best option if you want something more low key while still having very easy access to Newport. Portsmouth is also a very nice town, but there's pretty much nothing going on there. On the plus side, it's right next to Bristol, which is great.

In their own way, they're all good family options. Newport maybe less so, even discounting the schools, because of the tourist crush, bar scene, etc. -- but I'd still raise a kid there in a heartbeat.

Newport is not going to have the greatest commute to Providence. Middletown will be a little long as well. Portsmouth is the shortest.

Last edited by boulevardofdef; 05-05-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 06:55 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Newport is definitely very touristy, but something I really like about it is that it's also very much a real place where people really live. Its public schools generally aren't very well respected, if that means anything to you. Middletown is a beautiful place and might be the best option if you want something more low key while still having very easy access to Newport. Portsmouth is also a very nice town, but there's pretty much nothing going on there. On the plus side, it's right next to Bristol, which is great.

In their own way, they're all good family options. Newport maybe less so, even discounting the schools, because of the tourist crush, bar scene, etc. -- but I'd still raise a kid there in a heartbeat.

Newport is not going to have the greatest commute to Providence. Middletown will be a little long as well. Portsmouth is the shortest.

Portsmouth to Providence ? R U kidding you have to go over the Mt. Hope Bridge coming and going, and either go thru the Town of Bristol, or go down Metacom Av. to get to Rt. 6 before you can even get to Rt. 95. I feel a bit sorry for the OP who is being sent all over the map just to get to Providence. The OP and her husband really need to spend a week together if they can in RI with 'boots on the ground' looking at these areas. Because they are coming from TX they may have a sense that things are very close together in RI being such a tiny state and that they need some open spaces.

The OP needs to seek out a reputable property management company that handles apartment complexes and single family home rentals -- and can keep them within a 10 to 15 mile radius around Providence. But hey, who am I to advise, I only lived there for 55 years and as a Realtor, specialized in corporate relocation in both RI and MA for over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island