Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,229 times

Advertisements

I am a graduate student who is starting Johnson and Wales University by this September. I will rent a house with two of my friends but we couldnt decide where to live in Providence?

Our JWU campus is Harborside campus but we dont want to live in Cranston because we really want to close to where students live and hang out.

I heard that East Side is one of the best places to live in Providence but also Federal Hill has more student population I guess. Our priority in this choice are hanging out and being in a safe area.

By the way we will have a car and also amount of the rent is not problem for us unless we like the place.

So will you choose East Side or Federal Hill to live? Can you please compare them and tell me the better and worse sides of living in these areas?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 11:56 AM

396 posts, read 1,398,054 times
The 'East Side' is much nicer, encompassing historic neighborhoods amidst two colleges. Both have their busy commerical strips, Thayer St., Federal Hill. West Side has a denser housing stock, but the area around College Hill can be very busy too. IMO when I lived on the East Side, I hated how to get two miles anywhere involved what seemed like at least 30 signs. If I had to live in Providence and didn't want to pay out the nose, the west side is a good option.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:09 PM

8,023 posts, read 4,694,500 times
You really can't go wrong with either Federal Hill or the East Side. Lots of students in both locales. Federal Hill/Armory may have a bit more of a hip/cool factor. But, if that doesn't mean anything, the East Side/College Hill/Wayland are beautiful.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:23 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Two vastly different areas, and both areas can vary substantially within themselves. It's kind of irresponsible to say one "can't go wrong" in either, when reality is you can "go wrong" if you land in a problematic spot or one that is a bad fit for the individual.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:50 AM

Ignore any comments here by one out-of-stater obsessed with crime. Both Federal Hill & the East Side are generally safe. But, I doubt few would argue Federal Hill isn't the urban-edgiest of the two. Hence, part of what some consider, the cool factor. Kinda the opposite of Cranston.

Last edited by independent man; 01-20-2023 at 05:16 AM..

Old 01-20-2023, 07:39 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
The OP likely graduated about 6-7 years ago. Sheesh.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The OP likely graduated about 6-7 years ago. Sheesh.
Indeed.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Ignore any comments here by one out-of-stater obsessed with crime. Both Federal Hill & the East Side are generally safe. But, I doubt few would argue Federal Hill isn't the urban-edgiest of the two. Hence, part of what some consider, the cool factor. Kinda the opposite of Cranston.

This is reckless and severely lacking in nuance. For instance, you absolutely, positively do NOT want to be on Camp St. after dark. Federal Hill does not get that dangerous, but it also has its sketchier blocks. And somebody looking for peace and quiet will probably regret moving to the Hill. To say that one "can't go wrong with either", is doing a huge disservice to the reader. Moving anywhere in Providence takes some due diligence and preferably some input from people actually familiar with the city. As always, I'm happy to take DMs from anybody looking for solid and unbiased info on the neighborhoods.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:42 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As always, I'm happy to take DMs from anybody looking for solid and unbiased info on the neighborhoods.
There's nothing wrong with bias. You know how one acquires bias? By actually living in one of the two places. It's remarkably easy to be "unbiased" if you've had no experience in order to form an opinion. I would say that posters who come here seeking opinions ARE asking for bias.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
There's nothing wrong with bias. You know how one acquires bias? By actually living in one of the two places. It's remarkably easy to be "unbiased" if you've had no experience in order to form an opinion. I would say that posters who come here seeking opinions ARE asking for bias.

Nah it's still possible to be objective and toss aside the "my neighborhood is better than yours" slant (or understand that a single good or bad experience doesn't make or break a place), and empathize with another's needs. I've done so myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island