Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 12:56 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Does it have to be RI? We just visited Westport/Fall River MA, just a stones throw away, and found them charming. Westport has several beaches and is quite rural in feel. Not sure what you can get for $300k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 01:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Does it have to be RI? We just visited Westport/Fall River MA, just a stones throw away, and found them charming. Westport has several beaches and is quite rural in feel. Not sure what you can get for $300k.

An empty lot. If you're lucky.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:01 PM

72 posts, read 72,343 times
I really like the Jamestown area but the fact RI taxes Social Security and pensions has scared me away from the state. RI ranks very low as a best state to retire in on every survey I've read the past 5 years.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:26 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachretiree View Post
I really like the Jamestown area but the fact RI taxes Social Security and pensions has scared me away from the state. RI ranks very low as a best state to retire in on every survey I've read the past 5 years.
If your concerned about the state taxing SS & pensions, Jamestown probably wouldn't be the town for you regardless. It is a town virtually everybody likes, but is becoming increasingly unaffordable for some. Good luck in finding that sweet spot with low taxes.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:27 PM

72 posts, read 72,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
If your concerned about the state taxing SS & pensions, Jamestown probably wouldn't be the town for you regardless. It is a town virtually everybody likes, but is becoming increasingly unaffordable for some. Good luck in finding that sweet spot with low taxes.
I doubt it exists. I'm really looking to retire in the New England region and Maine is my leading contender. I'm not happy that there is an annual property tax assessment on vehicles but I can live with that. The quality of life there is tipping the scales.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:15 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
I doubt it exists. I'm really looking to retire in the New England region and Maine is my leading contender. I'm not happy that there is an annual property tax assessment on vehicles but I can live with that. The quality of life there is tipping the scales.
I'm retired, but I still want to live around people who care about & are willing to pay for better school systems. This usually means higher property taxes. If you're lucky, as am I, you'll find a town with tons of seasonal homeowners who pay for, but don't ever use the school system. In Maine, as in RI, I imagine it depends on the particular town.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
An empty lot. If you're lucky.

You can find 1970s tract starter homes in Dartmouth in the 300s. A 1,000 sf ranch on a slab on an 18,000 sf lot in Meadowood transacted in April for $330k. 15 Meadowood Drive. Vintage 1975 builder grade kitchen & baths. $10 mill rate so it won’t have big property taxes. Adequate land to add a 3 car garage.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
It depends on your income level as a retiree. My mom was in assisted living in RI for some years and I managed all her affairs so I’m pretty familiar with RI taxes. It’s means tested but RI exempts $15k of Social Security income and $15k of other income for retirees age 65+. Most retirees would be in the 3.75% bracket with the first $30k of income excluded. That’s not much of a state income tax hit. Property tax rates vary by town. You could build a little house in Little Compton and not pay much property tax. Their mill rate is $5.99.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:24 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Are good medical facilities and availability of doctors and dentists important to you? Find that out first in Maine before you move.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:29 AM

23,567 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Are good medical facilities and availability of doctors and dentists important to you? Find that out first in Maine before you move.
Wouldn't you want to find that out before moving anywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island