Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:41 PM

3,818 posts, read 2,701,868 times

Advertisements

This should get interesting quickly. Today the state of Rhode Island/Raimondo administration announced the locations of 14 proposed toll gantries for tolling commercial trucks.

Governor releases proposed toll gantry locations | WPRO-AM

http://turnto10.com/politics/state-r...of-truck-tolls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
The RT 6 and 10 interchange????????? Ugh........it's already a bottleneck.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The RT 6 and 10 interchange????????? Ugh........it's already a bottleneck.
Well, I don't know, but I would hope they would go all electronic tolling, without a cash option... I say hope not because I think cash transaction options should be eliminated, but because that number of gantries in such a small state would create congestion, increase pollution, etc.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:34 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,290 times
I could have sworn I'd heard it was all going to be electronic. And that's what "gantry" means. It's a common setup -- vehicles have transponders and can drive through as fast as 60 mph (or maybe even faster). There are no lane divisions. I'm almost certain the Pell Bridge has it going into Newport.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I could have sworn I'd heard it was all going to be electronic. And that's what "gantry" means. It's a common setup -- vehicles have transponders and can drive through as fast as 60 mph (or maybe even faster). There are no lane divisions. I'm almost certain the Pell Bridge has it going into Newport.
Yes, I recall hearing the same thing, though when I did a quick initial search I did not confirm that...

A gantry by definition does not necessarily have anything to do with tolls. But you are right, in the context of tolls, a gantry implies electronic tolling, unless they're going to post eagle-eyed RITBA employees up there to take notes on who passes through.

Better search terms yield the following:

Quote:
Under the revised proposal, tolls would be collected from large trucks on 17 bridges across the state using electronic gantries. The maximum toll for a trip across the state would be $30, down from $40 to $50. The median toll per bridge would be $3.50, down from $6. Total toll payments per day by any truck would be capped at $60, in addition to the previously announced cap of one toll payment per gantry in each direction per day.
Raimondo administration rolls out new toll plan | WPRI 12 Eyewitness News

Last edited by ormari; 01-05-2016 at 08:55 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 10:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
I've been Maine to Florida and I can never remember a Toll on a Federal Interstate Highway ??

Old 01-06-2016, 04:11 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I've been Maine to Florida and I can never remember a Toll on a Federal Interstate Highway ??
They're coming to Virginia.
Va. board OKs I-66 tolls inside Beltway - WTOP

Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It does seem possible, you're right.

Figures we get something like this on the table with a NY Democratic Governor in charge.

Notice the Republicans are against it and vow to fight it ?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:03 AM

Federally mandated fuel efficiency increases are decreasing fuel tax revenues nationwide, as this article in the Economist notes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Economist
By 2025 new vehicles must, by law, run at an average efficiency of 54.5 miles per gallon. That is good news for the environment and motorists (less petrol burned and bought for a given journey). But it is deeply worrying for governments. Roads and highways are funded by the state and federal taxes that drivers pay at the pump. Fewer petrol purchases means a drop in tax revenue.
We all know that Rhode Island's roads and bridges are in horrendous shape. We are going to have to make some tough choices to repair them, and we ought to have a plan to fund their maintenance as well. Revenue streams should be constitutionally guaranteed to pay for transportation infrastructure and protected from going into the general fund, but I don't know how that can be accomplished in this state.

Though our roads and bridges are worst in the nation, this isn't a problem that only RI will be experiencing, and there are bound to be a lot of different approaches to the problem. The plan that Raimondo and Co. have come up with is one option, though there are other ideas about. For instance, Oregon is looking to tax based on miles driven by checking odometers, though that doesn't capture out-of-state users. I think I like that less than the RI plan!

I am particularly concerned that in their haste to get this done, they are unlikely to implement a plan that works on the first try. Raimondo and RIDOT have not really thought this through. Their lack of transparency on this issue hurts our ability to implement a plan that will work by very nature of not subjecting it to criticism. If they rush this, they will mess this up.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:38 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,290 times
Personally, I can't really think of a reason to oppose this plan. Local drivers don't pay tolls. Traffic patterns don't change. The state gets more money to pay for road maintenance. The increased maintenance creates jobs. I believe in-state companies will get tax incentives and reduced registration fees to offset the cost of the tolls. If those incentives are substantial enough, Rhode Island residents shouldn't be hit with higher prices for products and services provided by truck. (There may be price increases for commerce from adjacent states, but that could even be interpreted as a good thing, as it gives Rhode Island businesses a competitive advantage.)

I can only come up with two valid reasons to oppose this: Either you're involved with the national trucking industry or you have a moral objection to any additional government collection of revenue.

On the subject of interstate tolling, I've always been under the impression that it was illegal unless the highway existed prior to the creation of the interstate-highway system. The same goes for service plazas. But that seems as if it may not be true for I-66 in Virginia, so I don't know, maybe the laws have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island