Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 08:42 PM

23,931 posts, read 19,127,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Only 28 shot though it was higher it little over 50 in Hartford

Sounds about right.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:52 PM

3,873 posts, read 2,777,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Please don't start up on this nonsense again. While Washington Park does happen to be a distinct neighborhood in its own right, it is very much a part of South Providence. Take this from the JWU Washington Park Main St. plan, for instance.

https://docs.rwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent...c_preservation

Several references to South Providence, including:

"The Washington Park section of South Providence exemplifies the continued growth around the City of Providence during the turn of the 20th century."

Only real estate hucksters, and newer transplants like yourself would say otherwise.
I am neither a real estate huckster, nor a newer transplant. From your mountain of posts in this forum you've built a shrine to ignorance. You, sir, are an outsider with vanishingly small knowledge about Rhode Island, excepting what you pull down from your crime scanner.

I'll give you credit that you actually searched for a document--and one with historical context no less-- to attempt to justify your dog whistle. Forgive that vastly mis- and over-used term but unfortunately you continue to justify its use here. But it would help if you actually did more than a keyword search and read for context. That quote you extracted is giving historical context of the neighborhood. That some JWU author of unknown authority might have continued an antiquated usage later in the document isn't particularly significant.

Of course Washington Park was at one time a part of South Providence. If you look at the old maps--older still than the historical context that JWU document cites--you'll see that South Providence and Elmwood were distinct neighborhoods while Washington Park was, surprise, surprise, a park within South Providence.

I have had many conversations about the history of our neighborhoods with people, many elderly, who have lived in this city their whole lives. Their knowledge trumps that of outsiders like you, sir. The gist is that in the wake of white flight and blacks burning houses in South Providence, the it-bleeds it-leads media reports drew a bright red circle well outside South Providence and that bled over to include adjacent neighborhoods in a guilt by association until they were one and the same to some, but distinct to others. The term unfortunately was used as a dog whistle for racial demographics. I have heard this relayed to me from black and white people who live(d) on the southside. It's not hard and fast, there was no official neighborhood boundary map beyond the political ones, and usage varied.

Regardless, neighborhood names and boundaries shift and change. There is a Washington Park Neighborhood Association that is distinct from the South Providence Neighborhood Association, distinct from the Elmwood Neighborhood Association, distinct from the Reservoir Triangle Neighborhood Association, distinct from the South Elmwood Neighborhood Association, and distinct from the Jewelry District Association. The City's Planning Department slices up South Providence into Upper and Lower South Prov neighborhoods, but the residents see fit to operate under one neighborhood association banner.

The Jewelry District was considered part of South Providence as recently as the relocation I-195. It is no longer part of South Providence, but somehow that doesn't stick in your craw. You should probably examine why it is that you accept that, but not the rest.

Today Washington Park is no more a part of South Providence, as it once was, than the West End is a part of Elmwood, as it once was.

I know a handful of people in Washington Park. They refer to it as Washington Park, and they don't think of themselves as part of South Providence.

That you think you know better, have some greater authority, than the people who live and describe their own neighborhoods, can only be described as obtuse.

Last edited by ormari; 05-13-2021 at 09:04 PM..

Old 05-14-2021, 04:44 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,762,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Washington Park is not in South Providence. Separate neighborhood. People who live in the city, know that. For instance, Jose Batista was recently elected as a rep. in the General Assembly. His campaign signs identified that he was running to represent "South Providence and Washington Park". That's actual, on the street knowledge. Not what some outsider thinks the neighborhood names should be.
Indeed Washington Park isn't South Providence. Two entirely different neighborhoods. All this Maine fellow seem to know is "South Providence". SP is in fact only 2 neighborhoods: Upper & Lower. But, in his strange crusade on this forum to paint a crime portrait across the entire minority/majority South/West Side of Providence, nuance of neighborhoods hardly matters. None of it any place he'd live or has ever lived.

To make the simple distinctions (we all know) would take too much current knowledge of the city. Not easy to come by when you live in rural Maine & have to get your city info from crime news on the web.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:40 AM

4,242 posts, read 1,715,939 times
Quote:
Washington Park is not in South Providence. Separate neighborhood. People who live in the city, know that. For instance, Jose Batista was recently elected as a rep. in the General Assembly. His campaign signs identified that he was running to represent "South Providence and Washington Park".

That's actual, on the street knowledge. Not what some outsider thinks the neighborhood names should be.
Outsider? Precisely how insular are you people? Are you afraid that he's gonna find your still Jed?

Old 05-14-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Outsider? Precisely how insular are you people? Are you afraid that he's gonna find your still Jed?

Nah, just a blow-in from Oregon who has somehow convinced himself he's an expert on everything.

Last edited by massnative71; 05-14-2021 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-14-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I am neither a real estate huckster, nor a newer transplant. From your mountain of posts in this forum you've built a shrine to ignorance. You, sir, are an outsider with vanishingly small knowledge about Rhode Island, excepting what you pull down from your crime scanner.

I'll give you credit that you actually searched for a document--and one with historical context no less-- to attempt to justify your dog whistle. Forgive that vastly mis- and over-used term but unfortunately you continue to justify its use here. But it would help if you actually did more than a keyword search and read for context. That quote you extracted is giving historical context of the neighborhood. That some JWU author of unknown authority might have continued an antiquated usage later in the document isn't particularly significant.

Of course Washington Park was at one time a part of South Providence. If you look at the old maps--older still than the historical context that JWU document cites--you'll see that South Providence and Elmwood were distinct neighborhoods while Washington Park was, surprise, surprise, a park within South Providence.

I have had many conversations about the history of our neighborhoods with people, many elderly, who have lived in this city their whole lives. Their knowledge trumps that of outsiders like you, sir. The gist is that in the wake of white flight and blacks burning houses in South Providence, the it-bleeds it-leads media reports drew a bright red circle well outside South Providence and that bled over to include adjacent neighborhoods in a guilt by association until they were one and the same to some, but distinct to others. The term unfortunately was used as a dog whistle for racial demographics. I have heard this relayed to me from black and white people who live(d) on the southside. It's not hard and fast, there was no official neighborhood boundary map beyond the political ones, and usage varied.

Regardless, neighborhood names and boundaries shift and change. There is a Washington Park Neighborhood Association that is distinct from the South Providence Neighborhood Association, distinct from the Elmwood Neighborhood Association, distinct from the Reservoir Triangle Neighborhood Association, distinct from the South Elmwood Neighborhood Association, and distinct from the Jewelry District Association. The City's Planning Department slices up South Providence into Upper and Lower South Prov neighborhoods, but the residents see fit to operate under one neighborhood association banner.

The Jewelry District was considered part of South Providence as recently as the relocation I-195. It is no longer part of South Providence, but somehow that doesn't stick in your craw. You should probably examine why it is that you accept that, but not the rest.

Today Washington Park is no more a part of South Providence, as it once was, than the West End is a part of Elmwood, as it once was.

I know a handful of people in Washington Park. They refer to it as Washington Park, and they don't think of themselves as part of South Providence.

That you think you know better, have some greater authority, than the people who live and describe their own neighborhoods, can only be described as obtuse.

Sir I have been in an around Providence since before you could probably even locate it on a map. I'm not going to sit here and have you lecture me with your extremely disrespectful, regurgitated ramble. The fact that we are dealing with the worst mass shooting in the city's history, yet you choose to nitpick over already established area definitions (the western boundary of South Providence not all agree on, the southern boundary is long established as the Cranston city line) is unconscionable.

This has made national news!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/13/us/pr...ing/index.html

Update from Channel 12. They are now saying 8 people were shot, one was injured from glass shards. 3 are in critical condition.

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...hat-injured-9/

Old 05-14-2021, 08:55 AM

The Worst Shooting in Providence’s History

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/the...dences-history

"Clements confirmed to GoLocal on Thursday night that this was the worst shooting in the city's history -- worse than during the gang and drug violence in the early 1990s or the bloody gangland shootings tied to the Patriarca crime family in the 1950s."

"Providence Mayor Elorza’s Response
Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza arrived on-site sometime after the incident.
"My heart breaks for the families and innocent bystanders caught in the terrible violence that struck the neighborhood around Carolina Ave. this evening," he later Tweeted close to midnight. "This violence must stop."
Elorza has had a tumultuous relationship with the Providence Police. The Providence FOP voted no confidence in Elorza and public safety director Steven Pare. The vote against Elorza was 382 to 13.
Elorza has been seen as a non-supportive of the Providence Police.
In September, Providence City Councilman Nicholas Narducci Jr. criticized Elorza’s hiring of a consulting firm that is reviewing the Providence public safety functions, specifically, the Providence Police Department. Narducci says that if a review should be undertaken all city functions should be reviewed.
He said Elorza's motivation was political -- Elorza is term-limited and expected to run for the Democratic nomination for governor in 2022.
“I am disappointed that Mayor Elorza has only elected to review the budget of one department out of nearly fifty under the City’s purview. Why and what will this accomplish? We know that the Providence Police Department is not funded at capacity and that even if it were; we don’t have enough officers to be in each of our neighborhoods to deal with the quality of life issues that so many people call their Councilor’s about; like ATVs and motorbikes, fireworks, and other nuisance issues,” said Narducci."

Old 05-14-2021, 08:56 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,206,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
"'This was not random. It was targeted at that address,' [Clement] told reporters."

Old 05-14-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
"'This was not random. It was targeted at that address,' [Clement] told reporters."

Yes, kind of a given being that it was a shootout between two rival gangs.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:28 PM

72 posts, read 55,028 times
I have some family in Washington Park so Ive been there many times. Its mostly elderly family who's been there their whole lives who are now dying off. While I was visiting I never felt I was in South Providence but I cant say I felt totally comfortable being there as a lighter skinned fellow. A family member sold their house for around 200,000 which is cheap by RI standards but while not S. Providence its not a place to raise a family, an older African American couple bought it. So while there's still Italians, Portuguese, etc. there they are dying off now and their grand kids generation arent even considering moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island