Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 11:42 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Jay, let's keep in mind that the OP grew up and lived in Warwick, RI for 30 years. She also works in Pawtucket, RI. She is likely more familiar with RI than half of the people that post here.

And, as noted earlier, it's not necessary to go through Providence when going from Barrington to Pawtucket. You just go through Seekonk and East Providence. Whether or not that would be recommended depends entirely on where in Pawtucket the OP's job is.

So, this is what we know:
  • The OP works somewhere in Pawtucket.
  • The OP has elderly parents in Warwick that she will be helping (we don't know how often).
  • The OP's husband needs to get to Boston twice a week.
  • The OP wants schools that are better than Warwick.
  • The OP wants to be close to I-95.
  • The OP is currently considering North Kingstown, Exeter, and West Greenwich.
  • The OP's budget is 550k.
Those are good points but it does not change what I said or recommended. North Kingstown, Exeter and West Greenwich are not really close to Pawtucket and would require a commute through Providence. That means traffic and delays.

You are right that a commute from Barrington does not necessarily mean having to go through Providence but it still means likely having to deal with Providence bound traffic and that could add time to her commute. She might be better off looking north of Pawtucket to minimize her commute in heavy traffic. It could also mean less of a commute to Boston for her husband.

No one can tell the OP what is best for her and her family but she needs to understand her options. Commuting a long distance every day is never a good idea particularly when you have a family. That’s why I always recommend living as close to at least one of a couple’s job as possible. It helps make everyday life much easier. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 01:51 PM

164 posts, read 125,216 times
Franklin is a nice town gets you closer.

But do you want privacy, water, near town, lot size, condition of house?

Old 02-01-2020, 02:15 PM

10,015 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Franklin is a nice town gets you closer.
And there is a train to Boston for her husband.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:48 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
]You are right that a commute from Barrington does not necessarily mean having to go through Providence but it still means likely having to deal with Providence bound traffic and that could add time to her commute.

That's not necessarily so. There are ways to avoid the bulk of the traffic ie. New Meadow Rd., Warren Ave., Anthony St., etc. via. South Seekonk; depending on there in town you are coming from. Yes Rte. 114 is a mess.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:07 PM

17,717 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are right that a commute from Barrington does not necessarily mean having to go through Providence but it still means likely having to deal with Providence bound traffic and that could add time to her commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's not necessarily so. There are ways to avoid the bulk of the traffic ie. New Meadow Rd., Warren Ave., Anthony St., etc. via. South Seekonk; depending on there in town you are coming from. Yes Rte. 114 is a mess.

While you certainly can go all the way down New Meadow (through Warren Ave) to get to Rt 6, it's much faster to go down New Meadow, cut down Massasoit, and jump onto the Wampanoag Trail (103 into 114). Then get off the Trail in Seekonk at Rt 6 and follow 114A all the way to Newport Ave. I've made this trip thousands of times. The only part of it where you might hit some traffic would be in the small stretch of 114A between Rt 6 and Taunton Ave (more specifically: between the old Showcase Cinema and the Old Grist Mill restaurant).

Old 02-01-2020, 06:19 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
The only part of it where you might hit some traffic would be in the small stretch of 114A between Rt 6 and Taunton Ave (more specifically: between the old Showcase Cinema and the Old Grist Mill restaurant).
Yeah that's what I had in mind as trying to avoid, as well as the 6/114A intersection (but more so going in the other direction). I've also been stuck on 114 many times, but perhaps I'm thinking of further down going into Warren.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yeah that's what I had in mind as trying to avoid, as well as the 6/114A intersection (but more so going in the other direction). I've also been stuck on 114 many times, but perhaps I'm thinking of further down going into Warren.
Going in the opposite direction, yes, 103 (County Road in Barrington) which goes into 114 in Warren (Main Street) and then Bristol (Hope Street) is a mess...a nightmare in parts. None of that is involved in the route I mentioned. You only get on 103 for a minute (at the big white church in Barrington) which becomes the Wampanoag Trail (114). All of the traffic has been bypassed.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:44 PM

An important detail that is missing is how often the OP will be helping her elderly parents in Warwick. I mean, will she be running errands for them daily? Or are we talking about going there once a week on a Saturday afternoon, and perhaps taking them to the occasional doctors appointment? If the former, places like Barrington or Franklin wouldn't really be ideal.

I'm thinking it probably will be often as she's talking about North Kingstown, Exeter, and West Greenwich.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
An important detail that is missing is how often the OP will be helping her elderly parents in Warwick. I mean, will she be running errands for them daily? Or are we talking about going there once a week on a Saturday afternoon, and perhaps taking them to the occasional doctors appointment? If the former, places like Barrington or Franklin wouldn't really be ideal.

I'm thinking it probably will be often as she's talking about North Kingstown, Exeter, and West Greenwich.
Driving around from Barrington on nights and weekends isn’t awful. If you’re zipping over at 7pm after dinner from Barrington, that’s a pretty quick drive. The Pawtucket commute is every day.

I’ve never tried to drive from Seekonk to Pawtucket. I’m so Pre-programmed to do I-195/95 that it never occurred to me to take secondary roads. I buy gas a lot in Seekonk but I’ve never been north of the Waze 195 alternate route using Waterman Ave through East Providence when 195 is stalled at the Mass/RI line.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,512 times
Quote:

Hi Everyone, Sorry i haven't been back sooner. My mother lives in Coventry, my father lives in Voluntown CT, just over the border from RI. My goal is to be no more than 30 minutes from my father. So, does that help everyone who may be suggesting North Attleboro or Barrington? I realize that it puts me a bit further from my job, but I'd rather commute to work, but be close to family. I have a 3yo who I want to be able to see my parents often. I appreciate all the comments!! Let me know if there are any other questions.

ETA: that we would also consider Coventry but have heard mixed reviews about the schools. We could probably get a lot of house for 450k in the Wood Estates neighborhood and would allow us a little more flexibility, and to be able to look private if we had concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island