Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 04:41 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times

Advertisements

Home prices being driven by out of state buyers:

https://www.golocalprov.com/business...ce-hits-682k-b

I'd add California to this list- seen lots of CA plates around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 05:18 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Home prices being driven by out of state buyers:

https://www.golocalprov.com/business...ce-hits-682k-b

I'd add California to this list- seen lots of CA plates around.
If true, very bad news for the far less well-heeled indigenous population. Rising costs of housing coupled with a stagnant Rhode Island economy will serve only to further socioeconomic stratification. You may soon long for the good old days when nobody moved to the Ocean State because there weren't any jobs.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:23 PM

Expensive housing without well paying jobs for natives won't have a pleasant outcome. This is when having a governor who forgot to lure business and grow an economy comes back to bite you.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:35 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
If true, very bad news for the far less well-heeled indigenous population. Rising costs of housing coupled with a stagnant Rhode Island economy will serve only to further socioeconomic stratification. You may soon long for the good old days when nobody moved to the Ocean State because there weren't any jobs.
I presume that some of the home buyers from Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York are originally from Rhode Island based on my own personal experience of my parents' owning a summer residence at Narragansett for many years and having friends and extended family members throughout the Northeast region.

For example, in my own extended family, my aunt and uncle, both of whom grew up in Rhode Island, have lived in New York State for over 50 years and, for much of that time, have maintained two summer homes at Narragansett: one home was an income property that they inherited from my aunt's parents, and the other home was their weekend residence during the summertime.

Another aunt and uncle of mine have split their time between New York City and the Connecticut countryside for 35-40 years, and they own a summer home at South Kingstown for at least a dozen years now.

Finally, my second cousin, who has lived in Connecticut since she was young child, has co-owned a summer home at Narragansett with her parents for at least 20 years, if not longer.

In my experience, Massachusetts natives typically gravitate towards Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket among other shoreline areas in Massachusetts. The Maine and New Hampshire coastlines are also popular among Massachusetts natives. Similarly, New York natives do not typically purchase summer homes or second residences in Rhode Island; they tend to gravitate towards Eastern Long Island or the New Jersey shore.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I presume that some of the home buyers from Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York are originally from Rhode Island based on my own personal experience of my parents' owning a summer residence at Narragansett for many years and having friends and extended family members throughout the Northeast region.

For example, in my own extended family, my aunt and uncle, both of whom grew up in Rhode Island, have lived in New York State for over 50 years and, for much of that time, have maintained two summer homes at Narragansett: one home was an income property that they inherited from my aunt's parents, and the other home was their weekend residence during the summertime.

Another aunt and uncle of mine have split their time between New York City and the Connecticut countryside for 35-40 years, and they own a summer home at South Kingstown for at least a dozen years now.

Finally, my second cousin, who has lived in Connecticut since she was young child, has co-owned a summer home at Narragansett with her parents for at least 20 years, if not longer.
If so, it's likely they fled in search of economic opportunity. They may have fond memories of wieners, but they're still gonna be part of the problem for Joe from Warwick. He's stuck in a low paying job, if he's got one at all, with no hope of competing for his dream house any more.

Last edited by PureBoston; 08-13-2020 at 05:55 PM..

Old 08-13-2020, 06:08 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Quote:
If so, it's likely they fled in search of economic opportunity. They may have fond memories of wieners, but they're still gonna be part of the problem for Joe from Warwick. He's stuck in a low paying job, if he's got one at all, with no hope of competing for his dream house any more.
Well, I'll tell you this much -- the dream home of "Joe from Warwick" is still going to be in Warwick or neighboring East Greenwich. Middle-class and working-class Rhode Island natives are often very predicable in their tastes and preferences, and most don't stray too far from home, even if they have the money to do so. That's why a lot of people who have "made it" go from North Providence to Lincoln or Smithfield, East Providence to Barrington or Seekonk, Warren to Bristol or Portsmouth, Johnston to Cranston or Scituate, Woonsocket to Cumberland or North Smithfield, etc. -- you catch my drift.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I presume that some of the home buyers from Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York are originally from Rhode Island
Not according to Realtors & my experience. New out of state buyers rarely have an original connection to Rhode Island. But, they may know others who from their state of origin who have houses here in RI, and like it.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Not according to Realtors & my experience. New out of state buyers rarely have an original connection to Rhode Island. But, they may know others who from their state of origin who have houses here in RI, and like it.
I second that and have personal experience with these buyers. It's currently playing out in my neighborhood.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
This is when having a governor who forgot to lure business and grow an economy comes back to bite you.
What the heck? This what she's been doing right along.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
What the heck? This what she's been doing right along.
This wouldn't be a democracy if you weren't entitled to your opinion, now would it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island