Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2023, 06:47 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,747,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandOwen86 View Post
Retail pharmacy industry is in the middle of systemic struggles nationwide. Major pharmacy chains - CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid - over expanded for more than a decade, often pushing out local, independently-owned pharmacies in the process. Upwards of 50% of independent pharmacies went out of business between the early 1980s and today. I know. Four generations of independent local pharmacists in my family ended with my uncles.

The majority of drug store sales come from filling prescriptions. Profits from that sector of industry have shrunk because reimbursement rates for prescription drugs have been declining. Meanwhile, retail sales in front-of-house section of chain pharmacies are being squeezed by competition from Amazon, Dollar General, Walmart, etc.

The reason CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens chains are trying to pivot into providing primary care is because they know system is broken.
All verified by our independent local pharmacy before it closed it's doors 3 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 10:15 AM

23,841 posts, read 19,008,205 times
Quote:
Retail pharmacy industry is in the middle of systemic struggles nationwide. Major pharmacy chains - CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid - over expanded for more than a decade, often pushing out local, independently-owned pharmacies in the process. Upwards of 50% of independent pharmacies went out of business between the early 1980s and today. I know. Four generations of independent local pharmacists in my family ended with my uncles.

The majority of drug store sales come from filling prescriptions. Profits from that sector of industry have shrunk because reimbursement rates for prescription drugs have been declining. Meanwhile, retail sales in front-of-house section of chain pharmacies are being squeezed by competition from Amazon, Dollar General, Walmart, etc.

The reason CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens chains are trying to pivot into providing primary care is because they know system is broken.

So you're blaming changes in the prescription drug market for gang activity, graffiti and vandalism?

Old 11-20-2023, 02:33 PM

267 posts, read 104,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You're not being sincere. You know they don't just throw darts at a map when deciding which stores to close.
On the contrary, I’m being very sincere. My sincerity is based upon having knowledge of my family’s multigenerational experience as pharmacists owning and operating independent drugstores.

Quote:
I strongly suspect this Walgreens was closed for the same reason. Shrinkage.
You “suspect”? In other words, you don’t KNOW. You’re playing a guessing game. Your guesses are based upon your fixation with crime in inner city neighborhoods. As someone who worked in his grandfather’s pharmacies, I can tell you that “shrinkage” took place in all of my family’s pharmacies. And there was no one-size/color/sex/creed-fits-all demographic engaging in the thefts. The shrinkage burr in my grandfather’s saddle was a well-to-do, 30-something-year-old white accountant with a wife and two children. Go figure. Is that to say that people who are younger or older, of different ethnicities or socioeconomic classes, or different sexes aren’t capable of theft? No. It’s just pointing out that theft in retail establishments doesn’t exclusively take place in the “projects” of “South Providence” and isn’t always perpetrated by “thugs” from “CHAD BROWN”.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:29 PM

18,141 posts, read 9,456,266 times
Quote:
I strongly suspect this Walgreens was closed for the same reason. Shrinkage.
Quote:
You “suspect”? In other words, you don’t KNOW. You’re playing a guessing game.
Yes, I suspect shrinkage is the reason.

But apparently I am wrong. Amazon must be the reason for the closing despite the other half dozen or so Walgreens in Providence remaining open. And because you swept the floors at a pharmacy when you were a teenager. And because of Chad Brown, South Providence, and dog whistles.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:57 PM

Here are the stores that closed in Boston.

Walgreens closures leave three Boston neighborhoods without nearby pharmacies

https://www.masslive.com/boston/2022...harmacies.html

"Mattapan, Hyde Park and Roxbury are all losing their respective Walgreens."

What do these Boston neighborhoods and Branch Ave. all have in common?

Old 11-20-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
"Mattapan, Hyde Park and Roxbury are all losing their respective Walgreens."

What do these Boston neighborhoods and Branch Ave. all have in common?
Based upon your posting history, populaces that you enjoy marginalizing every chance you get.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
populaces that you enjoy marginalizing every chance you get.

Criminals???

Old 11-20-2023, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Criminals???
Are you unsure of the makeup of the populaces that reside in the neighborhoods you seem intent on smearing? If not, why the question marks? Are we to understand that you’re of a mind that Mattapan, Hyde Park, Roxbury, and Branch Avenue are populated entirely by criminals? If not, what percentage of the population in these communities would you say is comprised of the criminal element? Please, go on record as sharing your purported “expertise” with us.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Are you unsure of the makeup of the populaces that reside in the neighborhoods you seem intent on smearing? If not, why the question marks? Are we to understand that you’re of a mind that Mattapan, Hyde Park, Roxbury, and Branch Avenue are populated entirely by criminals? If not, what percentage of the population in these communities would you say is comprised of the criminal element? Please, go on record as sharing your purported “expertise” with us.

I don't pretend to be an expert on anything, bro. I'm just trying to understand who you think I enjoy "marginalizing"?

Old 11-20-2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I don't pretend to be an expert on anything, bro.
Wise choice.

Quote:
I'm just trying to understand who you think I enjoy "marginalizing"?
As I said, based upon your posting history, the populaces of neighborhoods including Mattapan, Hyde Park, Roxbury, and Branch Avenue. You’ve added the query, “Criminals???” to the discussion, so I take it that more specifically you enjoy marginalizing the criminals amongst the populaces of such neighborhoods. If I’m being honest, trying to determine whatever other commonalities you believe have resulted in various residents of these neighborhoods developing criminal tendencies would require me having to delve deeper into your psyche than I would be at all comfortable or interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island