Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 01:19 PM

23,519 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
More proof that many people in America live in worlds separated from reality. Here are some facts to totally destroy this fetishizing of crime in Providence. I think we should rename this group, Crime Kink. For folks who get off to living in a world of fictional crime.

Fake news as well?

15-Year-Old Shot and Killed in Providence
https://www.golocalprov.com/news/15-...-in-providence

Wallace Street in Silver Lake.

Folks, with 3 shootings in Providence yesterday, including homicide #5, I can confidently say the violence in Providence is in FACT on the rise again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 04:11 PM

4,215 posts, read 1,668,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Yes, the trend still seems to be downward, with the obvious exception of the pandemic induced craziness. The thread title is deliberately misleading. As usual.
I'm dissapointed. Dismissing increased crime and violence in ANY city as "pandemic induced" is a cop out. What, I'm sick, so I have to shoot someone? Far more likely due to a climate of lawlessness and a disregard for social order in general and law enforcement in particular, fostered by misguided and permissive policies and attitudes. You keep up on things in the PNW, I assumed you'd pieced it together.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:01 PM

4,364 posts, read 3,188,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Fake news as well?

Folks, with 3 shootings in Providence yesterday, including homicide #5, I can confidently say the violence in Providence is in FACT on the rise again.
Folks, don't join gangs, don't sell drugs, and definitely don't rip people off if you do sell drugs, keep your nose clean and treat people right and you'll be fine.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:38 PM

It was somewhat comforting to know that murders were down for the first half of 2022 vs. the same period in 2021, but other stats kind of show a mixed bag. Due to demand, back in 2020 I began tracking what I consider to be serious violent crimes in Providence. They include the following offenses:

Murder/Manslaughter
Felony Assault
Assault with intent to commit a Felony
Shots Fired
Firing in a Compact Area

Here are the numbers of reported offenses for the first 6 months of 2021 and 2022.

As you can see here, there was an increase from 2021 to 2022 for "serious violent crime".

Here are the map views of where incidents occurred, January-June of each year.

Personally I find some disturbing trends here, like how crime is seeping into areas that weren't too affected last winter/spring. Federal Hill, Pembroke Ave./Oakland Ave. area (WOW). PPM/Kennedy Plaza is a $HITSHOW. The nicer parts of the East Side are becoming less immune as well, it seems.

Olneyville has thinned out a little bit (although it's still awful). Silver Lake has become more and more problematic. The area near Broad/Elmwood/Parkis/West Friendship/Long Live Beerworks, etc. is now a HUGE magnet for trouble.

Last edited by massnative71; 07-24-2022 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-24-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Folks, don't join gangs, don't sell drugs, and definitely don't rip people off if you do sell drugs, keep your nose clean and treat people right and you'll be fine.

sandsonic, a 15 year old kid with a promising future was brutally murdered. And you're here making baseless and horrible accusations about this victim. It might be time to take a step back and do some self-reflection.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/gall...ooting?photo=1

Old 07-25-2022, 05:10 PM

4,364 posts, read 3,188,372 times
Quote:
sandsonic, a 15 year old kid with a promising future was brutally murdered. And you're here making baseless and horrible accusations about this victim. It might be time to take a step back and do some self-reflection.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/gall...ooting?photo=1
Massnative, you've told us many times how everyone in Providence is trash except for East side/Elmhurst. As well as everyone from West Warwick, Central Falls, Woonsocket and Pawtucket. Not standing by that? This kid was from WW out at midnight in PVD. Hmm.

I got clamcakes and Dels today at Iggys just like the rest of the Oakland Beach trash you hate.

We're all thugs until it suits your purpose to make us 'not thugs' but victims. Just like you supposedly hate elitists despite being one.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Massnative, you've told us many times how everyone in Providence is trash except for East side/Elmhurst. As well as everyone from West Warwick, Central Falls, Woonsocket and Pawtucket. Not standing by that? This kid was from WW out at midnight in PVD. Hmm.

I got clamcakes and Dels today at Iggys just like the rest of the Oakland Beach trash you hate.

We're all thugs until it suits your purpose to make us 'not thugs' but victims. Just like you supposedly hate elitists despite being one.

You are so full of it, sansonik. NEVER did I say everyone in Providence is trash, or everyone from those other cities are. NOR did I say I hated the Oakland Beach trash, OR that you are all thugs OR that I hate elitists. A child was murdered. Grow up please.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:44 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
A crime uptick during the summer, I'm shocked! That's never ever happened!

Also rather shocked about how much tissue must be wasted making this threat by the kk. Ew.

Sandsonik, I have to check out Iggys. I was just over Oakland Beach with a friend who is looking at a house over there. Seems nice enough.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:55 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,689,069 times
Quote:
Miscellaneous incoherent babble^^^ edited for clarity.

Dear reader,

The Providence Police Deparment has crime statistics you can reference. Most violent crime categories are down compared with five year averages. A couple display low single digit increases, but in such a small dataset, the change can be considered negligible if not zero.

This poster has an unhealthy obsession with crime in Providence. Providence, like most of New England, has a low crime rate as compared with other US cities.

Do your own research, and don't rely on some internet crank.

-o

Here's the most recent PPD data. All violent crime categories are either a decrease vs. the five year average, or a (1-2%) very slight increase.

https://www.providenceri.gov/wp-cont...L-02220724.pdf

Old 07-25-2022, 07:02 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,689,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
I'm dissapointed. Dismissing increased crime and violence in ANY city as "pandemic induced" is a cop out. What, I'm sick, so I have to shoot someone? Far more likely due to a climate of lawlessness and a disregard for social order in general and law enforcement in particular, fostered by misguided and permissive policies and attitudes. You keep up on things in the PNW, I assumed you'd pieced it together.

I do beg your pardon, my liege. However, "pandemic induced" was deliberately rather vague and I'm afraid you've misinterpreted it badly for someone who purports to be a triple niner. We had an event where the natural rights of individuals were stripped by an authoritarian deep state, whether justifiably or not. People were deprived of their ability to earn a living, among other injustices. When the government switches from a slowly boiling frog approach to throwing the frog directly into hot water, frogs are bound to jump wildly.

But a climate of lawlessness does seem to be fostered by your stated political party. So what have you done about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island