Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:04 PM

34 posts, read 144,155 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering an academic job in Bristol, at Roger Williams University. I haven't even gotten the offer, but I'm feeling very good about the possibilities.

From what I have read about Bristol, it's a charming, protyptical N.E. seaside town, with a long history and a great record of historical preservation, as well as a penchant for fending off intrusions.

Can anyone tell me what they think of Bristol, RI? Is it expensive? Would I struggle with a beginning Asst. Professor's salary (~60K/year)?

I see that there are museums, but is there any live 'culture' going on there?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Walden9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 05:25 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,286 times
Would you struggle on $60K a year? depends on your expenses. Bristol is beautiful and expensive. Anything near the ocean / bay is expensive. It also depends on whether you are going to rent or buy a home. Many variables to consider. Everything is relative depending on your frame of reference and where you would be relocating from.

The town of Warren is definitely less expensive and "next door" to Bristol; and you could also live in East Providence. As for culture, Rhode Island is a very small state as you know; and you are within very reasonable driving distance from everything you need.

If you work at RW, you could also live in Mass., over the line into the Seekonk, Swansea, Somerset or Fall River area.

Check housing on www.riliving.com, the MLS website, or (broken link) check www.projo.com, the Providence Journal newspaper website.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 PM

Default thank you!

yes, you are surely right about the relativity of expenses and prior living situations in connection with new ones...

thanks for the tips!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:09 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walden9 View Post
Hello,

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Walden9
There isn't much going on in Bristol after dark. If you want to experience 'culture' you'll probably have to drive up to Providence. Also, do consider that Bristolians have a love/hate relationship with RWU. They constantly complain about the university and its students and you might encounter some people who won't be too keen on dealing with you when they realize you're with the university staff. But of course, not everybody who lives in Bristol is like that.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Xenophobia in Bristol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
There isn't much going on in Bristol after dark. If you want to experience 'culture' you'll probably have to drive up to Providence. Also, do consider that Bristolians have a love/hate relationship with RWU. They constantly complain about the university and its students and you might encounter some people who won't be too keen on dealing with you when they realize you're with the university staff. But of course, not everybody who lives in Bristol is like that.

Good luck.
So you're saying that it may be difficult to get a decent rental once people realize that I'm a faculty member at the university? Whoa! that would be awful. Are the townfolk xenophobic?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 AM

18 posts, read 90,087 times
Quote:
So you're saying that it may be difficult to get a decent rental once people realize that I'm a faculty member at the university? Whoa! that would be awful. Are the townfolk xenophobic?
WOW! I wouldn't listen to that last quote. You're not going to see that kind of prejudice around the whole state. YIKES!!!! Bad information. Bristol is beautiful and there's tons of Portuguese people around. They are friendly and neat, giving neighbors. The ocean is close enough and so is Providence. In the summer months Bristol is very pretty and there's more going on downtown. There's some pretty shops and cafe's and some antiques shops specially toward Warren. Overall, not a bad place to live. ANDDDDDD....if you like to bike and swim....there's a beautiful state park with a beautiful 16 mile bike path that takes you all the way to Prividence and in your way back you can jump in the water and cool off before going home

Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
No, you're faculty and not a student.

As with everything, it all depends on the person you'll encounter. Some landlords have had mediocre experiences with the RWU crowd. But that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:07 PM

124 posts, read 904,971 times
Landlords often have issues renting to undergraduate students, because, well, they are undergrad students and landlords don't want keggers at their apartments. Aren't landlords in all college towns nervous like that? But renting to an adult, not a college student, is different. I can't imagine you'd have trouble.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 AM

I keep forgetting to link this:

http://www.eastbayri.com/bristol/bristol.php (broken link)

It's one of the small local newspapers. You'll find classifieds and can maybe get a bit of a feel for the town issues.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Default no xenophobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter2007 View Post
WOW! I wouldn't listen to that last quote. You're not going to see that kind of prejudice around the whole state. YIKES!!!! Bad information. Bristol is beautiful and there's tons of Portuguese people around. They are friendly and neat, giving neighbors. The ocean is close enough and so is Providence. In the summer months Bristol is very pretty and there's more going on downtown. There's some pretty shops and cafe's and some antiques shops specially toward Warren. Overall, not a bad place to live. ANDDDDDD....if you like to bike and swim....there's a beautiful state park with a beautiful 16 mile bike path that takes you all the way to Prividence and in your way back you can jump in the water and cool off before going home
Thanks much. I was a bit worried. I can't imagine an apartment or house owner discriminating against a faculty member of a local university. That would be odd indeed. After all, despite other liabilities, academic jobs are some of the most stable forms of employment.

Thanks for reassuring me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island