Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 10,681 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

We will be moving to the Providence area this fall, and my husband will be working in Cranston. We have one daughter and plan to put her in a private school. Hopefully, this post won't trigger a debate about public vs. private, we just feel strongly about keeping her in private after we move. With that in mind, what are some suggestions for the following:

Housing between $500k and $700k -- which city or town, and which neighborhood within that community?

Which school for a 10 year old girl? Based on Internet research, St. Mary's Bay View appears to be an ideal fit (we are Catholic though that isn't a requirement for a school) but are open to other schools.

Other interests include libraries, dog friendly areas, swim club, bike paths, art classes and studios, and for our daughter, a girls gymnastic club to join as she is on a competitive team right now.

I want the location to be convenient to shopping, work and school, but also want it to be safe. (The East side of Providence looks great but I worry that we'd be in a beautifully restored home only to discover that a frat house is right around the corner). Is there a better community in Massachusetts that would match our needs?

Would love some input to help us get started on our research. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTbooklover View Post
Hello all.

We will be moving to the Providence area this fall, and my husband will be working in Cranston. We have one daughter and plan to put her in a private school. Hopefully, this post won't trigger a debate about public vs. private, we just feel strongly about keeping her in private after we move. With that in mind, what are some suggestions for the following:

Housing between $500k and $700k -- which city or town, and which neighborhood within that community?

Which school for a 10 year old girl? Based on Internet research, St. Mary's Bay View appears to be an ideal fit (we are Catholic though that isn't a requirement for a school) but are open to other schools.

Other interests include libraries, dog friendly areas, swim club, bike paths, art classes and studios, and for our daughter, a girls gymnastic club to join as she is on a competitive team right now.

I want the location to be convenient to shopping, work and school, but also want it to be safe. (The East side of Providence looks great but I worry that we'd be in a beautifully restored home only to discover that a frat house is right around the corner). Is there a better community in Massachusetts that would match our needs?

Barrington, East Greenwich, Lincoln, Cumberland -- in that order. All are very sports oriented and have the amenities you seek, especially Barrington. A good resource will be the Rhode Island MLS: www.RILIVING.com and the Providence Journal newspaper: www.projo.com

An experienced Realtor who has lived in the area for a long time can discuss neighborhoods and further amenities with you.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 42,673 times
On the East Side, consider Wayland Square as a place to live and all of the private schools nearby as well (including the all-girls Lincoln School). Your frat-house concern isn't much of a factor there (compared with, say, the Wickenden area or College Hill) and, even so, any experienced realtor (or anyone living in the Square) can guide you away from the one or two properties of concern.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Also look at the Blackstone area of the East Side.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:31 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Quote:
Is there a better community in Massachusetts that would match our needs?

Yes. Pop up St Mary Academy on Bing Maps, or whatever you choose,
and you'll see Bay View is on the east side of the Providence River.
Just to the east is Seekonk and Swansea. Also close is Rehoboth,
which has many fine homes and is very quiet.
you have a high budget for a home, you could also look into
Barrington or Warren in RI.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Hello all.

The schools you'd probably want to look at if you want private country day schools would be The Wheeler School wheelerschool.org

The Lincoln School
Lincoln School: Book Festival

This used to be all boys but i think it is co-ed now -- Moses Brown
mosesbrown.org

Also Providence Country Day School appears to be co-ed Home

For a smaller country day school with small classes about 20 mins away in East Greenwich, there is Rocky Hill School with the head master married to one of the Von Trapp family children. Campbell was his last name. I'm not sure if he is still the headmaster there or not. Rocky Hill School :: a college preparatory, coeducational, family-oriented preschool through grade 12 school, serving communities along Narragansett Bay.

In the old days when I was at Wheeler, Wheeler and Lincoln were all girls and PCD and Moses Brown were all boys. Rocky Hill where both of my sisters went for a while was always co-ed.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Elmhurst would be my first choice - also known as the Catholic Triangle - elementary school to Academy HS then on to Prov College. Streets you'll find the best housing are within 1 block north of Smith St on Huxley over to Academy.

Then there's Wayland and College Hill.

You could also look at East Greenwich.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:38 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Their budget is up to $700K, Elmhurst doesn't even come close.

Barrington, East Greenwich etcetera .... the "bedroom" communities are where their interests will end up to be.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
If you are sending your children to private school, I recommend living on the East Side of Providence. Yes, Barrington and East Greenwich are nice suburban areas but can't beat the vibe of the East Side. A good majority of East Side kids go to private school, my 3 grandchildren included. There are several private schools in the area; the best (from an educational standpoint) being:
Moses Brown (my grandchildren go here)
The Wheeler School
Lincoln School (girls only)
Good luck with your move.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM

66 posts, read 220,830 times
Other than "vibe", which I'll leave you to absorb from spending some time here, you'll probably also want to consider property taxes when choosing to move to Rhode Island.

Providence has an extremely high tax rate and the East Side is one of the few places that property values did not change much (they didn't go down) during the recent real estate crash.

Also, if you own a car, the automobile tax rate inside the city is $60 per thousand of valuation per tax year. That translates into roughly $1,000 per year or roughly $266 per quarter to own and operate a $16,000 vehicle in addition to insurance, etc.
For comparison, the tax rate in Little Compton, RI, is $15 per thousand-ish.

And actually, if you have 500 to 700k to spend on a house, you might like Little Compton.

Since Rhode Island is fairly small, I would probably make my choice based on the practicality, safety, and economic stability of the community in question where I'll live - of which the suburbs usually trump the city - and then realize that you can always drive a child to school or drive into the city for an evening out.

I've lived in Providence for 10 years and am a RI native. Though there is little love lost between me and many other RI communities I would have to say that I don't feel like a house purchase in the actual city of Providence with the added burden of private school tuition is as sound economically as it might be in better times. Unless you are, of course, coming from Detroit. Providence's highly touted "Renaissance" has slipped backward somewhat in that all the nice touristy things are still here to do except no one who lives here can afford to do them anymore. Which, in turn, forces some of those cool touristy things to go away eventually. Oh, and that none of those cool things were actually paid for, which is why taxes and budget concerns in the state are coming back to haunt us.

I feel that your money is best spent, if you must move here, in one of the more traditionally stable communities outside the city such as Barrington, Bristol, East Greenwich, Wakefield/South Kingstown.

Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island