Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 11,575 times

Advertisements

I have been working in Middletown, RI for 15 years. I'm single with no children, so school system has no bearing on my decision. I have rented in Rhode Island for most of my adult life and am more than familiar with RI politics, economy, etc.

This is my year to buy! I am looking for a condo or small house (~$250K) My problem is where do I buy??? I have been never lived close to work and have been doing a 80+ commute for a long time now. My ideal scenario would be to buy something closer to Middletown but the personal/property taxes are so high in Rhode Island compared to Massachusetts!

Does anyone know if you are "double taxed" if you live in MA but work in RI? From everything I've read, it is much more tax friendly in Massachusetts and I could live in a border town like Seekonk or Swansea.

I will be a first time home owner and any advice would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:47 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Have you taken into consideration what it costs you to commute- both in terms of gas, other car expenses, and personal time? Who knows how much gas will go up again? If it were me, I'd buy close to the job and even if the annual taxes were slightly higher, I'd consider it well worth the trade off. Also, if you buy under 250K the difference is not going to be huge in taxes bet. here and MA. Even 1k would be offset by car expense.

I don't think you'd be double taxed if you did buy in Ma, it just makes doing your taxes more complicated at tax time because you have to do additional forms.

It's a great time to buy now- there are a few places in Middletown in your price range (there wasn't much before!) and you could take advantage of the 8K credit.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times
This really depends on where you feel happy. If you live in Middletown and like it, then move there. Consider that being on an island, you are at the mercy of either the bridge or route 24; if you move to MA then you'll have to consider the tedious drive. I don't know why you think MA has lower taxes. My experience has been that they are both comparable; MA is often appraised higher, with a lower rate per $1000.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,398,054 times
Congrats on taking the next step. Now, I did hear my coworker who lives in MA but works in RI talk about double taxes, but I forgot the detail. Please check out rhodeislandhousing.org -there are all sorts of things for first time homebuyers. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
The tax question was answered here before- ProfSenator has the best answer....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/massa...de-island.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: