Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:33 AM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 377,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
Hello everyone, I have a cousin who is thinking of moving to Rhode Island. How is the general economy and job situation there? More specifically Property Management/Commercial Real Estate jobs. In addition what areas are good for a 28 yo female to reside in.
My advice would be as follows:

1. GET THE JOB FIRST, THEN MOVE.

2. If you move here, then try to look for work, you're not going to find it. See #1 above.

I've made the mistake of "figure out where you want to live, then worry about a job once you get there" twice. It sounds like healthy priorities (life more important than work, etc.), but in a recession, it's a big mistake.

As a reminder, the unemployment rate here is over 11%. You will not find a job right now.

Urb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
HIs facts are way off. I'm from Tampa and I can say 100% that people in Rhode Island are more laid back and polite, generally speaking.
Let me give you an example: Yesterday I ran into Stop & Shop o grab some salad dressing that I had forgotten to purchase for a Cookout. So I have this one item, I'm standing in line at the 12 items or less register, and the guy in front of me has probably slightly over 12 items.

As soon as he sees me he smiles and says "Go ahead". I say thank you. Then the cashier begins to chat with me about the weather. (Never met her before in my life.)

Later, the same day, at Panera - I accidentally bump into a woman who says "Forgive me."

All this in the same day. I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't knee-jerkingly believe everything you read about RI'ers being "stand offish" or "cold." Some are, obviously, but some people are like that everywhere. But I would say, by and large, that folks here are far more personable than in Tampa.

And that sure is saying something given where our economy is at currently...

Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 PM

217 posts, read 961,790 times
Thanks, good reviews here and helpful. When looking for a job, I think employers would rather hire locally than some one from another state, especially in this economy where its an employers market.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 PM

190 posts, read 650,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Let me give you an example: Yesterday I ran into Stop & Shop o grab some salad dressing that I had forgotten to purchase for a Cookout. So I have this one item, I'm standing in line at the 12 items or less register, and the guy in front of me has probably slightly over 12 items.

As soon as he sees me he smiles and says "Go ahead". I say thank you. Then the cashier begins to chat with me about the weather. (Never met her before in my life.)

Later, the same day, at Panera - I accidentally bump into a woman who says "Forgive me."

All this in the same day. I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't knee-jerkingly believe everything you read about RI'ers being "stand offish" or "cold." Some are, obviously, but some people are like that everywhere. But I would say, by and large, that folks here are far more personable than in Tampa.

And that sure is saying something given where our economy is at currently...
when you live somewhere your whole life, you see things differently. you seem to be bashing the place where your from, and it appears im doing the same. well maybe its not bashing. maybe we have seen things over time we dont like. live in RI for 27 years like i did, you will see everything i am saying.

maybe if i was born and raised in tampa i wouldn't like it. theres no telling. and the same for you in RI. i speak from what i experienced, and from what atleast 50 of my friends that are still there have always said.

i am not bashing the state, or the people. i am giving my own personal outlook, if you don't agree, theres nothing i can do. i guess we both made good moves then. you can enjoy my ex hell, and ill do the same. btw i am enjoying it here.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM

190 posts, read 650,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I wouldn't be that harsh on RI. Sure, the good parts are expensive to live in but both Providence and Newport are very much alive with activities. I like the narrow streets in the cities, they give a very historical feel to the place.

I for one would not choose Tampa, Florida as an ideal living place because it doesn't snow down there, it gets too hot and muggy for my tastes, and wages are low compared to other parts of the US. I had a fellow coworker who taught high school full time down in Tampa and earned what was equivalent to a long term substitute's pay up here. Do you guys even have a subway/rapid transit system? And how many days of the year do you have to turn on AC? Sorry, but I'd take Providence any day over Tampa.
sorry for being harsh, wasn't my intentions. to each there own. some will like RI, some will like tampa. as far as your questions, i make double here, the cost of living is half. i run the a/c most of the time, but it isn't a problem cause my highest electric bill has only been 103, and thats for hot water too, as there is no gas. and providence doesn't have a subway, so i don't understand the question there. no tampa does not, but its cool cause i own a car.

i had enough snow in my life so this hot sub tropical weather is what i have been looking for. i like that my rims stay clean and brand new in january.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island