Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times

Advertisements

Can anyone just give me some good tips on Providence RI as far as living there? We just found out that we are being relocated to Fall River, MA, but after looking at Fall River I hear that it isn't a good place to live? Looking around I see Providence is about a 20min drive? Just curious what living in RI is compared to MA (I hear MA taxes are higher for example)

Thank you for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Can anyone just give me some good tips on Providence RI as far as living there? We just found out that we are being relocated to Fall River, MA, but after looking at Fall River I hear that it isn't a good place to live? Looking around I see Providence is about a 20min drive? Just curious what living in RI is compared to MA (I hear MA taxes are higher for example)

Thank you for any advice
You've heard incorrectly.

Massachusetts has a lower tax burden than RI, though neither is particularly high. It's amazing how myths like "Taxachusetts" get propogated long past when they're true.

According this web page (and I've read similar things elsewhere), RI is 24 and MA is 28 in overall tax burden: TAX BURDEN BY STATE. Property taxes in Boston, where I live, are particularly low relative to other areas (but that won't help you).

And, the all important sales tax in RI is 7%, while it's 6.25% in MA.

If you're looking for reasonably-priced places to live that are - presumably - close to Fall River, then you have many choices. You can live on the east side of Narragansett Bay in RI in towns like E. Providence, Barrington (expensive), Warren or Bristol. Or, you can live in MA towns like Seekonk, Swansea, Somerset, or towns between Fall River and New Bedford. There are lots of them, and they're all pretty decent. Just look at a map. It all really depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for a shopping mall kind of existence or one where there's a nice town center to walk/drive to?

BTW: Fall River is fine. There's nothing particularly troublesome about it, and if you're looking for a rental, you might just look around the city. You could probably get a good deal, and it's only about 10 miles from Providence (another city that would be a fine choice). Sorry to be so vague, but you haven't given a lot to go on, and it really does depend on the kind of lifestyle you want to lead. One thing is for sure, the area you're moving to is beautiful and you'll love the environment around you.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
Fall River will definitely be more than 20 minutes once you take traffic into consideration. Providence is a great city and a great place to live, though taxes are a bit on the high side, but you're likely looking at 30+ on the commute from Providence (unless you live right near the on-ramp, getting to the highway can easily add 5-15 min to your commute). Traffic on 195 can be heavy. As much as I recommend Providence, if you work in Fall River and want to be close to Providence, I would suggest East Providence. The traffic is usually gone by then when heading east and it's usually where it just starts coming back west.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
You could also look at Somerset, Swansea, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Massachusetts. Or also Tiverton, Middletown, Portsmouth, RI

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Fall River proper.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks everyone

Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 PM

397 posts, read 1,399,217 times
Yeah, that would be a real easy commute to FR- Tiverton and Portsmouth, RI

Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 AM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 377,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
It's amazing how myths like "Taxachusetts" get propogated long past when they're true.
Except that they're still true. I help my Dad (90) pay his bills, and I just wrote a check for part of his property tax, which is >$9200/year on a house worth about half a million (he lives in Wayland, a typical "spare no expense taxing everyone to pay for our kids' schools" suburb).

I don't know where that Web site got their numbers, but they've got almost every state right at almost exactly 10% -- questionable. And just wrong, when you're talking about states like RI, where the income tax is progressive! Oversimplified and misleading. Property taxes vary so much by jurisdiction that it's meaningless to slap a "state" number on it. And I'm telling you: having lived in AZ -- and owned property there -- the overall tax burden is much lower, regardless of what these guys are saying.

Then, there's that car insurance thing... but let's not go there and ruin a nice day....

Urb

Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbie View Post
Then, there's that car insurance thing... but let's not go there and ruin a nice day....

Urb
uh oh! What car insurance thing??

Old 04-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 377,598 times
I don't know about Ohio, but:

(Cost to insure car in Mass.) > (Cost to insure car, pickup, and 2 motorcycles in Illinois)

Just for grins, call your car insurance company and ask for a quote if you live in Boston. Be sure there's someone ready to revive you with smelling salts....

(Actually, the most likely answer is, "We don't do business in Massachusetts.")

Urb

Old 04-19-2010, 10:29 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,298 times
I live in Cranston and my car insurance is actually no big deal.

Car taxes, however, are another story. And I agree that Property Taxes around here are absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island