Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:36 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Sorry that you have to live in this craphole, No question the lowest bidder won when this complex was built. The only place you'll find 1st floor and a centered room with no windows is the Tanning Room in clubhouse 2. If a tornado came.....I'll be at the Hilton. This place has no hope if we got a direct hit.
Ha, ha! We like our neighbors -- the people here have been very friendly. But you're right: super poorly built with the lowest quality materials. (I feel for the maintenance people.)

So -- and I really don't know the answer -- would be there be warning in time to get to the Hilton??

I thought these things spin in quickly.

SLS -- Re: car accidents being much worse statistically. I know. The older I get the more I white knuckle in the car. I've heard too many stories. And -- not at all to be rude -- some of the people in VA drive recklessly. I've had four friends in car accidents that caused real problems since I moved here 18 mo. ago.

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Ha, ha! We like our neighbors -- the people here have been very friendly. But you're right: super poorly built with the lowest quality materials. (I feel for the maintenance people.)

So -- and I really don't know the answer -- would be there be warning in time to get to the Hilton??

I thought these things spin in quickly.

SLS -- Re: car accidents being much worse statistically. I know. The older I get the more I white knuckle in the car. I've heard too many stories. And -- not at all to be rude -- some of the people in VA drive recklessly. I've had four friends in car accidents that caused real problems since I moved here 18 mo. ago.

Alley
I hope I didn't sound like your question was unimportant--just trying to put it in perspective that it is extremely rare. That was just a strange month. I'm not sure about the driving here. I'm not "from here" but haven't noticed anything different from any other place I've lived. Also, my car insurance rates are cheaper here than anywhere else I've lived so I'm inclined to think that statistically it's probably not that much more dangerous. I do commute downtown from Short Pump now and every day I feel thankful to get to work and get home safely. Sorry about your friends, though. That is terrible.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I hope I didn't sound like your question was unimportant--just trying to put it in perspective that it is extremely rare. That was just a strange month. I'm not sure about the driving here. I'm not "from here" but haven't noticed anything different from any other place I've lived. Also, my car insurance rates are cheaper here than anywhere else I've lived so I'm inclined to think that statistically it's probably not that much more dangerous. I do commute downtown from Short Pump now and every day I feel thankful to get to work and get home safely. Sorry about your friends, though. That is terrible.
SLS ~ No, I didn't take your response as negative at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I "met" you in the Maui forums and then again here in the Richmond forum. Which I always found funny!

I have to tell you that I hope the driving thing here in VA is "all in my mind," but sometimes I wonder.

And the two lane country roads that don't have a shoulder really make me nervous. That's not something my former state really had.

Alley

Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,606 times
Alicia64, I think it really depends on where one is from to compare to a Virginia driver. IMO, central Virginia is very easy. I've found drivers to be polite for the most part.
But then, this is compared to where I've lived previously. I grew up with NJ aggressive and fast drivers, then lived in Florida in the land of THE most oblivious drivers ever. Just bad, bad, bad drivers (mostly due to seniors who should have lost their license years ago). I worked in NYC and drove into the city so I've had southern Connecticut and Manhattan drivers to deal with. I just drove to central VA this weekend and had to deal with NOVA and Baltimore a-holes who love to cut you off and drive right up your rear. Oh and I've driven a lot to Boston and did a lot of driving around M*******s (aggressive and oblivious at the same time)
I never lived in the city of Richmond so I can't comment on that. But to me the counties of Henrico, Hanover, Powhatan, Goochland are normal drivers. Some fast, some slow but nothing that would make me feel scared at all. It just feels very laid back to me.
Now if you are coming from the deep south or midwest, VA would probably feel more aggressive. I think it's all perspective.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:41 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,606 times
Oh and tornadoes are not that common in VA compared to the midwest, and deep south, BUT it the past few years they have become more common all over the US so it is possible that a tornado can happen. But looking at the central VA area historically......you don't have much to worry about. When tornados have happened, they've been F0 or F1 mostly.

I have a friend whose spent a lot of time between the east coast and California and in his words, "The east coast has weather. California has a climate." And it seems pretty true. We do get "weather" on the east coast in all states. Hot, cold, bad storms, thunder and lightning, pretty bad rain.
It may be a hard adjustment for you initially. Hopefully in time, you'll adjust and then you'll be one of us!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Alicia64, I think it really depends on where one is from to compare to a Virginia driver. IMO, central Virginia is very easy. I've found drivers to be polite for the most part.
But then, this is compared to where I've lived previously. I grew up with NJ aggressive and fast drivers, then lived in Florida in the land of THE most oblivious drivers ever. Just bad, bad, bad drivers (mostly due to seniors who should have lost their license years ago). I worked in NYC and drove into the city so I've had southern Connecticut and Manhattan drivers to deal with. I just drove to central VA this weekend and had to deal with NOVA and Baltimore a-holes who love to cut you off and drive right up your rear. Oh and I've driven a lot to Boston and did a lot of driving around M*******s (aggressive and oblivious at the same time)
I never lived in the city of Richmond so I can't comment on that. But to me the counties of Henrico, Hanover, Powhatan, Goochland are normal drivers. Some fast, some slow but nothing that would make me feel scared at all. It just feels very laid back to me.
Now if you are coming from the deep south or midwest, VA would probably feel more aggressive. I think it's all perspective.
Interesting perspective -- I'd never thought about it, but it makes sense that NOVA and new Jersey etc. would have aggressive drivers. I'd be in trouble.

I'll remember what you've said here when I drive! (It's not that bad. It's not that bad. It's not that bad.)

Re: VA weather. Yes, there's so much more weather here than in CA, but I love it. The sameness of CA weather was boring. Summer thunder storms are exciting for me. And I've loved the snow in winter. I'd never had a white Christmas before last year.

Alley

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 AM

326 posts, read 689,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Re: VA weather. Yes, there's so much more weather here than in CA, but I love it. The sameness of CA weather was boring. Summer thunder storms are exciting for me. And I've loved the snow in winter. I'd never had a white Christmas before last year.

Alley
Well, in time you will come to hate "weather".

Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 569 times
Default I need basement advice!!!!

Hi I'm sorry to just ask my own question but I really need help. I have a basement to keep us safe from tornadoes , but unlike other basements mine has a side door that goes outside and then theres the door at the top of the stairs. I'm worried about where the safest place to go would be because the only place away from the door outside and the 2 little windows is right at the bottom of my staircase, but then that would be by another door!!! What should I do? Imj scared we will get sucked up the staircase!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond