Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,438 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Of course Im exaggerating on the thread topic (or am I?)
Im about to rent a property on Church Hill North, between 23rd and 24th on Jefferson ave.

Do you guys have an opinion about this specific area?
Im under 30yrs old and no kids.
All Im worried about is someone breaking in or getting robbed after getting home from work.

It looks to me like those blocks are starting to see an improvement as the remodeled lofts come up from Cary and Main towards Broad and higher.

Your input is appreciated. Im new to Richmond and moving here for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 AM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times
Seeing as no one has responded yet, I'll give my limited opinion. Yes Church Hill is a neighborhood in transition. And I generally use M street as a dmz. I personally would feel uncomfortable in the area you mention safety wise. There was just recently a high profile crime in the Church Hill area that made national headlines. I do really like Church Hill, just the area around St. Johns church. Hopefully an actual local can recommend, or give better info. Good luck and welcome to VA!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Man you would be so close to the Roosevelt.

Yum...

The Roosevelt - Church Hill, Richmond, Virginia

Why don't you pose your question at Church Hill People's News?
Home ‹ Church Hill People's News

Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Seeing as no one has responded yet, I'll give my limited opinion. Yes Church Hill is a neighborhood in transition. And I generally use M street as a dmz. I personally would feel uncomfortable in the area you mention safety wise. There was just recently a high profile crime in the Church Hill area that made national headlines. I do really like Church Hill, just the area around St. Johns church. Hopefully an actual local can recommend, or give better info. Good luck and welcome to VA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Man you would be so close to the Roosevelt.
Yum...
The Roosevelt - Church Hill, Richmond, Virginia
Why don't you pose your question at Church Hill People's News?
Home ‹ Church Hill People's News
Thank you ShadowBat for your input and Richmondpics for the links.

I went ahead with the place. It's actually on M st.
I did my crime research on the area. It's not the best.
I guess I have to be careful and play it by ear.

Thanks again for the input. I'll leave a couple of graphs here that might be of use for others.
Shootings:

Murders:

These are not to show the number of incidents, but rather their location.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Thanks for the maps... It's amazing how many incidents are clustered in or very close to the public housing projects.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:55 PM

218 posts, read 840,573 times
Oh my God that area is so dangerous!! You are going to have to carry a weapon on your walk from the car to your front door, and you'll spend all your time indoors peeking through the blinds making sure that there aren't any suspicious characters around!!

....not. Have you ever lived in a city before?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Of course.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
Oh my God that area is so dangerous!! You are going to have to carry a weapon on your walk from the car to your front door, and you'll spend all your time indoors peeking through the blinds making sure that there aren't any suspicious characters around!!

....not. Have you ever lived in a city before?
Thank you for the input. I do appreciate some sarcasm once in a while.
I've actually only ever lived inside big cities. The difference here being that I see the crime rate in the CH area being substantially higher than what I've had the opportunity to experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Of course.
TL;DR.
Thank you for your input as well.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMaxtor View Post
Hi all,

Of course Im exaggerating on the thread topic (or am I?)
Im about to rent a property on Church Hill North, between 23rd and 24th on Jefferson ave.

Do you guys have an opinion about this specific area?
Im under 30yrs old and no kids.
All Im worried about is someone breaking in or getting robbed after getting home from work.

It looks to me like those blocks are starting to see an improvement as the remodeled lofts come up from Cary and Main towards Broad and higher.

Your input is appreciated. Im new to Richmond and moving here for work.
Church Hill is an iffy area, goes from really nice, to really bad.......really quick. That being said. Don't leave the house unarmed. Regardless of where you live.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,043 times
I happen to live in the churchill area, and just like any other area, The area is what you make it. If you stay to yourself and dont mingle and mix with everyone you meet, you will be ok. Any area can be bad, even out in the counties and country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond