Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:46 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times

Advertisements

I live in Richmond (Well Glen Allen) and I love it. If you want to check out crime statistics for a certain area, just call the local police department. There are lots areas around Richmond and each is different. For instance, City of Richmond, Henrico County, Hanover County, Chesterfield County, Goochland County...they all are different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times
Richmond does have horrible racial tension. No one on this forum will admit it or downplay it but trust me it is horrible there for blacks and whites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Unfortunately racism can be a problem everywhere these days. It's popping up in some surprising places such as NYC, CA, etc. Having said that, I wouldn't worry one bit about racism in Richmond. It's not an issue you hear much about. And if someone says or does something stupid, just remember that it's not the entire area that is reflected by that action, just that one persons ignorance.
Prime example, you just contradicted yourself. Racism may exist in evvvvvvvery other US city but god forbid someone call Richmond racist that person must be a liar!! This is the Richmond mentality, sad really.

They don't even know racism because it is so integrated in their day to day life it is just normal to them. I'm willing to bet half these posters live on "the white side of town" and obviously due to the lack of blacks (you purposely avoided to begin with) you're claiming there is no racism. Glen Allen, The Fan? No surprise. lol.

I completely agree with ThoreauHD except even in Mechanicsville they are well known to be rednecks out there. You can also check Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedI'd say Richmond isn't really strongly "racist" as much as it is self segregated and discriminatory. No one will call you this or that to your face but when you realize you're being treated differently (if at all) then its obvious why. blacks are content with living on the "black side of town" usually run down and I'm sure you can imagine the whites. It's not racism here to them though, it's just accepted.

Last edited by Yac; 07-11-2012 at 06:19 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
I got to school down in Richmond and I absolutley love the city. Richmond has some bad spots, but so does every other city on the planet. Short Pump Town Center is really nice, Glen Allen, Mechanicsville. West Broad Street can get a little scary down by VCU, but going towards Short Pump it cleans up. Also Route 250, if you can find maybe house in that area, is more country and less city. In my opinion don't fear Richmond, yes it can be bad in places, but I was born and raised in New York, and that city can be real bad. Richmond has alot of history, some nice areas, Louis Ginter Botanical Gardens, Richmond Metropolitan Zoo, shop til ya drop at Short Pump Town Center, military history out the booty, childrens museum, tons of restaurants and different cultures. Richmond is a city, it's gonna have some bad areas, but I would live in Richmond before I ever lived in Northern Virginia, my favorite part of DC is the sign that says welcome to Virginia. Really the best way is to come on down and check out our capital city for yourself, it's not all horror.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I got to school down in Richmond and I absolutley love the city. Richmond has some bad spots, but so does every other city on the planet. Short Pump Town Center is really nice, Glen Allen, Mechanicsville. West Broad Street can get a little scary down by VCU, but going towards Short Pump it cleans up. Also Route 250, if you can find maybe house in that area, is more country and less city. In my opinion don't fear Richmond, yes it can be bad in places, but I was born and raised in New York, and that city can be real bad. Richmond has alot of history, some nice areas, Louis Ginter Botanical Gardens, Richmond Metropolitan Zoo, shop til ya drop at Short Pump Town Center, military history out the booty, childrens museum, tons of restaurants and different cultures. Richmond is a city, it's gonna have some bad areas, but I would live in Richmond before I ever lived in Northern Virginia, my favorite part of DC is the sign that says welcome to Virginia. Really the best way is to come on down and check out our capital city for yourself, it's not all horror.
Since this thread is about race, let's map your good spots and bad spots on the map.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Thanks for the link... clicking through randomly, it looks like most cities have self-segregation. Not sure what makes Richmond so unique in this regard?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times
Some people see racism anywhere and everywhere they go.

Others choose to make their lives about something else.

I'm sure there are racist people in Richmond but they're easily avoided.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Thanks for the link... clicking through randomly, it looks like most cities have self-segregation. Not sure what makes Richmond so unique in this regard?
Yes that is the point. I believe there is a map for all states and even more updated ones.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Some people see racism anywhere and everywhere they go.

Others choose to make their lives about something else.

I'm sure there are racist people in Richmond but they're easily avoided.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 22,535 times
I'm thinking about moving to Richmond, the bellemeade area. Is that a good neighborhood or should i stay away?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasdrupal View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Richmond, the bellemeade area. Is that a good neighborhood or should i stay away?
Trust me you'll rather live in a homeless shelter than Bellemeade. Star far FAR FAR away. Just the name makes me want to turn my back light on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond