Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,203 times

Advertisements

Hello,
This is a very sensitive question, but one that's very important to us. Here's some background as to why I have this question. I'm originally from the Midwest where race has never been an issue or something that was on the forefront. About 6 years ago we relocated to Memphis, TN where unfortunately racial tension is incredibly high. My husband has been asked to relocate to Richmond, VA and I'm very curious what the racial tension is like, if there's any at all. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
You should pose this question in the Richmond forum.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times
Unfortunately racism can be a problem everywhere these days. It's popping up in some surprising places such as NYC, CA, etc. Having said that, I wouldn't worry one bit about racism in Richmond. It's not an issue you hear much about. And if someone says or does something stupid, just remember that it's not the entire area that is reflected by that action, just that one persons ignorance.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 24,415 times
Racial tension in Richmond is horrible. They shot through a Republican Congressman's office window last year. They put up a black tennis player's statue next to Civil War heroes on Monument Street.

If you have to live in Richmond, move to Glenn Allen- or Mechanicsville, or anywhere outside of Metro Richmond. It's like 3rd World Africa downtown. Virginia Commonwealth University is helping to clean it up though by buying downtown property and flattening it, kicking out all the trash, and putting useful building in it's place. But they haven't taken over all of Metro Richmond yet.

You will see Louis Farrakhan NAZI negroids in suits on street corners handing out flyers about how to get the Jews out of your community. The only thing they hate more than white people, apparently, are Jews. On a public TV channel in Richmond there used to be black racists talking about how everyone is oppressed and how Jesus and Mozart were black.

Richmond is probably the worst city to live in Virginia. At least in Norfolk, they have drugs to keep them occupied.

You will hear about murders every day on the news there. Bums roam the streets at night.

The only redeeming quality for that cesspool is Shockoe bottom where the Tobacco Company is- but you only go there with a group of friends. Never ever go out alone.

I one time was at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to change when a car full of blacks came riding buy and screamed out the window, "Hey you fu**in N*gg**!" Which was odd, because I'm white. But in any case, that will give you a feel for the place. The best thing that can happen to Richmond at this point is if General Sherman came through again and burned it down.

Don't move there.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:38 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times
What!? I know you can't be serious. God I hope not! Some sarcasm is funny, this is not.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Default You will hear about murders every day on the news there. Bums roam the streets at night.

sounds like every other city in the US.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
Wow...really this bad? Sad.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:21 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,836 times
^ I wouldn't take anything said by "ThoreauHD" seriously. Just took a quick look at the profile and looks like based on his/her/its profile, it was created on May 19th, 2012 and last activity was on May 30th, 2012 (as of the time of my post now). There were a sum total of 5 posts made on various forums during that < 2 week period, all inflammatory, hateful posts either sexist or racist or just hateful in nature, usually full of sweeping generalizations. My bet is this account was created for trolling purposes by someone who needs to get a life. How sad.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 AM

774 posts, read 1,694,048 times
Yep, not to be taken seriously. Richmond and Memphis aren't in the same league with respect to racial tensions. It's occasional and sporadic in certain neighborhoods in Richmond. In Memphis it's endemic.

Don't be fooled by internet trolls. I know an author named Henry David who is turning in his grave.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 PM

222 posts, read 550,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoreauHD View Post
Richmond is probably the worst city to live in Virginia. At least in Norfolk, they have drugs to keep them occupied.

You will hear about murders every day on the news there. Bums roam the streets at night.

The only redeeming quality for that cesspool is Shockoe bottom where the Tobacco Company is- but you only go there with a group of friends. Never ever go out alone.
This is nonsense. I lived in Richmond from 2007 to 2010. I was 28 when I moved there and 31 when I left. I'm also a white guy. I loved living in Richmond. It's a charming college town that's just far enough from DC but not TOO far.

This poster is full of it. I went out alone all the time and never once felt my safety was in danger. I lived in the Museum District, walked around the Fan, VCU area, and Shockoe all the time without ANY problems whatsoever. Many of these times I was alone, at night, and yet I had nothing but a good experience.

The ONLY thing this poster is right about is that downtown Richmond can be kind of sketchy because of all the bums. Once people leave the downtown area after business hours you do have to watch your back a bit. But keep in mind these are a few blocks we're talking about here, nothing substantial or significant. There are also some parts of town on the southside that a pale male like me probably wouldn't venture into if I didn't have to, but that's true of every city, not just Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond