Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 PM

23 posts, read 40,016 times

Advertisements

Thanks Alley! I really appreciate the insight into specific developments to look out for. I was hoping that I would be able to visit the area before I move on work-related training, but I dont think that is going to be the case. However, I should be able to stay in the area for a few weeks before I move, so that should allow me to get more of a feel for the area and help with narrowing down my decision. Based on what I have seen in past threads, it seems that Short Pump and West Broad are the most mentioned - whether or not people like it seems to be up for debate. I guess what it comes own to is personal preference. Ive also seen Midlothian mentioned. Is this area in the same category as Short Pump/West End? Also, I couldnt find anything about the Hunton Group? Is there a link you could post? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouLaLa View Post
I just got a position in Glen Allen and will be moving there from Miami. I'd love to know what to expect and where are the best places to live. My company is in Glen Allen, so I'd like to know if I choose to live in Richmond what the commute is like or if Glen Allen is the better choice. I'm a single female, so I'd be concerned about safety and proximity to amenities like a groceries, shopping, and fitness centers. Thanks!
Whether Richmond or Glen Allen is just the preference between city vs burbs, I live in Glen Allen and work on the other side of downtown and I get to work in around 15min. The Richmond area doesn't have "real" rush hour traffic. Henrico is a very safe, very well put together place. I've been in VA for almost 5yrs now. The first two years in Short Pump the rest here in Glen Allen, it's choose both over the city. I also think your a lot closer to a lot more in Henrico than the city as backwards as that is.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 10,350 times
Thanks to folks' advice here, we found a great townhouse to rent in Twin Hickory Lake on our trip this weekend and were accepted today! We definitely liked the proximity to all the 'burbs has to offer in Short Pump, and the relatively short drive to get to the city for all THAT offers.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Can't beat that location. Western suburbs of Richmond are terrific!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Museum district and the tow houses just west of 195 would work for the above. Very easy commute to short pump etc on highway against traffic

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post

For those who do the "oh, but I don't like cookie cutter!" thing, they're on their own. There is no such thing as non cookie cutter, single-family custom-built everything on acreage, in a safe and affordable neighborhood near shopping, dining, and quaint boutiques with friendly neighbors near ample employment opportunities-

because similarity in construction keeps the price down, and sells. Deal with it. Go find your nonexistent neighborhood yourself.
But there are different kinds of "cookie" homes in Short Pump. For example, you have your McMansion cookies that are brand new on super teeny lots. You have cookie homes (like I'm in) that we're built in the mid-80's and have old growth trees, rooms that have been added, porches redesigned etc. so the homes barely look "cookie" anymore. (I've found myself admiring a home only to realize that it's my exact house design, but because the yard looks so different from mine I didn't immediately see that it was my house design.)

And then you have the 1990's cookies. I could go on, but the decade the cookie homes were built really makes a difference in the overall look of the neighborhood.

Good luck to you and welcome!

Alley

Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Referring to original poster - in Miami terms, Short Pump/Glen Allen is Dadeland and down US 1. The city is more Coconut Grove/Coral Gables. Traffic is a LOT better than Miami though, so you don't need to choose as much on that, though its still much better in the city.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:12 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouLaLa View Post
Thanks Alley! I really appreciate the insight into specific developments to look out for. I was hoping that I would be able to visit the area before I move on work-related training, but I dont think that is going to be the case. However, I should be able to stay in the area for a few weeks before I move, so that should allow me to get more of a feel for the area and help with narrowing down my decision. Based on what I have seen in past threads, it seems that Short Pump and West Broad are the most mentioned - whether or not people like it seems to be up for debate. I guess what it comes own to is personal preference. Ive also seen Midlothian mentioned. Is this area in the same category as Short Pump/West End? Also, I couldnt find anything about the Hunton Group? Is there a link you could post? Many thanks!
I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Here are the apartments I was telling you about. I didn't say the name properly, they are: The Hamptons by the Hunton Group.

Apartments in Glen Allen, VA | The Hamptons at Hunton Park

Good luck!

Alley

Old 10-12-2013, 02:14 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
But there are different kinds of "cookie" homes in Short Pump. For example, you have your McMansion cookies that are brand new on super teeny lots. You have cookie homes (like I'm in) that we're built in the mid-80's and have old growth trees, rooms that have been added, porches redesigned etc. so the homes barely look "cookie" anymore. (I've found myself admiring a home only to realize that it's my exact house design, but because the yard looks so different from mine I didn't immediately see that it was my house design.)

And then you have the 1990's cookies. I could go on, but the decade the cookie homes were built really makes a difference in the overall look of the neighborhood.

Good luck to you and welcome!

Alley
We are 100% in violent agreement. I am in a 'cookie' subdivision with 3-4 basic house styles that, over time, has morphed into a series of very, very different houses. My only complaint is the amount of leaves the oak trees sometimes drop onto my yard.

My neighbor, who went for a more clear-cut style with beautiful flower beds, doesn't have that problem but doesn't have the shade. No issue, he just goes to his backyard where he built a permanent addition with a fire pit.

When he feels like getting away from it all, the guy down the street presumably goes up to the 3rd floor a previous owner added that nobody else has. Etc., etc., etc.

Yet people always default to, 'ewww! Cookie cutter! I could never live THERE! [as if those who do are somehow tasteless, or touched] But I don't have the money for anything else...' Buy in an area without an HOA or a less restrictive HOA, and make it your own.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 AM

7 posts, read 10,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Here are the apartments I was telling you about. I didn't say the name properly, they are: The Hamptons by the Hunton Group.

Apartments in Glen Allen, VA | The Hamptons at Hunton Park

Good luck!

Alley
We looked at apartments here before deciding on a townhouse that was for rent by owner. This apartment community looks great (the unit we looked at was recently redone and the community amenities were great - pool, firepits, etc) and the leasing agents were very nice, but we needed more space and their pet policy did not fit our needs. I would agree with Alley and suggest taking a look here as it may fit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: