Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times

Advertisements

I think its a sign the economy is improving, but the last few times I've had occasion to go west towards short pump at rush hour, it's actually been somewhat congested. That's new for me in Richmond - the only real traffic I've experienced previously in Richmond has been in Short Pump (usual shopping mall and lights hell) and Midlothian Turnpike (Same).

Anyone else been caught in it?

Don't get me wrong, Richmond still has no traffic by the standards of most cities. But I wonder if the Short Pump commute might actually qualify for real traffic if it keeps going this way. I've actually been stop and go on the 195 exit to 64 a number of times now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
I have commuted into the city from Short Pump for three years and my sister does the reverse commute. There hasn't been any change in traffic IMO. The exit to 64 has always backed up on occasion--often without a visible reason. Traffic was very light during the holidays with people taking time off and now we are back to normal school year traffic in both directions. It will lighten up at spring break and in the summer.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
the construction doesn't help.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
The westbound traffic from Cox to Pouncey Tract on West Broad has been congested for at least 15 years. Usually take Three Chopt to bypass it.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The westbound traffic from Cox to Pouncey Tract on West Broad has been congested for at least 15 years. Usually take Three Chopt to bypass it.
You have a very low threshold for the term "congested" Short Pump can get busy and slow down, but I'd hardly call it congested.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
You have a very low threshold for the term "congested" Short Pump can get busy and slow down, but I'd hardly call it congested.
When it comes to a dead stop without an accident in sight and frequent light changes until one actually makes it through an intersection (or two) is what in your terminology??

How about Henrico finally put in another off ramp of off 64 near Short Pump instead of a couple 100 more homes to add to the congestion. We nearly had one coming off of 295 onto West Broad and instead they put in a shopping center in its way.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM

457 posts, read 693,563 times
I avoid Broad Street at all cost, everyday from 7am to around 10pm.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
When it comes to a dead stop without an accident in sight and frequent light changes until one actually makes it through an intersection (or two) is what in your terminology??

How about Henrico finally put in another off ramp of off 64 near Short Pump instead of a couple 100 more homes to add to the congestion. We nearly had one coming off of 295 onto West Broad and instead they put in a shopping center in its way.
I'm with you. Four lanes of stop and go traffic is a nightmare, and I definitely put it into the congestion category. Trying to find a place you've never been to in one of the strip malls (not knowing exactly which one it is) can be extremely stressful with the traffic.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:22 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
I live in Northern Virginia but a friend of mine just moved to the Short Pump area and every time I've come down it's never been congested but then again we all have different opinions of what congestion is. The whole Short Pump area seems pretty relaxed compared to what I'm used to.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I live in Northern Virginia but a friend of mine just moved to the Short Pump area and every time I've come down it's never been congested but then again we all have different opinions of what congestion is. The whole Short Pump area seems pretty relaxed compared to what I'm used to.
You're not comparing the same types of congestion. In NOVA a simple 10 minute trip can be turned into an hour. In the short distance I've listed in a previous post, a 2 minute drive gets turned into a 15-20 minute drive. Its simply a volume problem where people want to stay on the highway as much as possible. Thus the volume from three highways get funneled into one.

Another road that gets heavily congested is Parham. Its worst congestion is between 64 and Patterson.

Here's a link of where the highways were supposed to end up.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Rich...an_1968_XL.jpg

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/VA28...ernates_XL.jpg

Last edited by Pruzhany; 01-28-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: