Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM

28 posts, read 54,681 times

Advertisements

We are very excited about the prospect of moving to Richmond (in a little over a year). We loved Church Hill, or even the Fan district as potential neighborhoods to live in: we loved the urban feel, and the walkability to playgrounds, coffee shops, etc. But we will have 3 small kids by then and clearly have to consider their futures. If Richmond's public schools are so awful, can we actually live in the city of Richmond? Or is it completely impossible? Everyone suggests moving to the outer counties or going the private school route. For us, living 20 minutes down the highway in a completely separate suburb defeats the purpose of moving to Richmond, and private school is in no way a financial possibility for us.

It sounds like Chesterfield has great schools. We were considering the Forest Hill Park neighborhood, but it seems (after online research) that although it is Chesterfield county, the schools are not good.

Are there any alternatives to the private schools and awful public high schools, such as charter schools, specialized schools, etc.? I just read about Open high school which utilizes a lottery system (which is a lot of trust to put into for a move when considering 3 kids' education!)... I guess I just feel like it must be crazy that there are no alternatives other than pricey private schools.

Any light that can be shed is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
Do a search and you'll find this pretty well covered - check Mumford, fox, Holton, Maggie walker, Patrick Henry charter

Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Thank you!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Forest Hill Park area is still in the city. As Charlesaf3 indicates, Mary Mumford (west end), Fox (Fan), and Holton (Bellevue/Northside) are the three best elementary schools in the city. They won't be as strong as an affluent, suburban school, but we live in a diverse world. There is also Patrick Henry Charter School. If you look at the Elementary School serving Church Hill (Bellevue Elementary), it gets an 8/10 rating on great schools dot org. How old are your kids? There are a lot of people working hard to find solutions to improve city schools, so there may be better middle and high school options by the time your kids are that age.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 PM

689 posts, read 1,616,142 times
Most of the counties have application-based high schools specialty centers in addition to your districted, so your children may well be able to opt in to a different school by then. That whole arena is changing -- I would not pick your destination based on high school district. You can also apply to send them to Henrico or Chesterfield for middle school and pay tuition, it's usually pretty reasonable. You might look for a compromise with near-in Henrico and Chesterfield Counties. For Henrico, look at Tuckahoe and Crestview, and in Chesterfield look at the Bon Air area. You may decide this is still too suburban, but both areas are an easy drive downtown. If you really want to do the city, look at the VAIS Web site -- VA Association of Independent Schools. There's a huge range of private schools in our area, and some have pretty reasonable tuition rates. There are also quite a few Catholic schools, if those appeal to you. The reality is, Henrico and Chesterfield have really great schools, and many families do choose to move out of the city for that reason. Richmond City does not have a great reputation as a district, and everyone I know who lives in the city does send their children to private school, but that is not a huge sample! Virginia puts report cards for every school on the VDOE Web site; here's the one for Bellevue, for example: https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/report...schoolName=238

I'm not a big fan of GreatSchools b/c it's a ranking based on test scores (we take SOLs here from 3rd grade on, although there is testing in every grade). I'd encourage you to look at some of the school Web sites, so you can see what they emphasize, if it's a title I school, if they're teaching things that are important to you as a parent. It's also a good way to get a feel for schools down here, which may be very different from what you're used to.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Look into Henrico, you could move just over the city line so it would be closer to the city but have access to great public schools.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:37 PM

I really appreciate your thoughtful responses - thank you to you all!
Oh, and to answer your question, Richmondpics, my kids are 3.5, 2 and one on the way. So, plenty of time for them to get through elementary and for us to see what's happening then with middle and high school.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Consider Henrico, even with the schools others mentioned they have a lottery to get selected for them. If selected you the parent gets to transport them to and from school, if not selected the "regular" schools would not be one of your choices. As you continue to research you will notice that Richmond City Schools are not considered a good choice especially at the secondary level.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:25 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
This was just published today and it's a pretty interesting read:

Helping parents reconsider Richmond Public Schools - RVANews

Old 01-20-2014, 01:27 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
No one usually argues about Fox or Mumford; Holman I hear mixed reports. But what about the average person who is considering buying in the city, their options are limited and if a secondary school is needed where should they go? This is why most people with school age children look outside the city. Yes their are private options but the average family can not afford them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: