Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 04:50 PM

157 posts, read 569,314 times

Advertisements

We're new to Richmond and have some friends coming into town this weekend who'd like to go into DC to visit- see the Smithsonian, Museum of Natural History, a few other places. From my brief time driving around DC, I know the traffic is horrific. Is there a place in VA we can park and get on the MetroRail (or another form of public transportation) so we don't have to drive in DC and attempt to park? I'm looking on the MetroRail's website and you can get a day pass for only $7.80 (unlimited for that one day) but I'm really confused as to where I can get on, that's closest to Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,744 times
several options.....take the train to DC union station and get the metro there.. or drive north on 95 to outside of DC and you will see signs for metro. I used to park at the Pentagon and get the metro there but since 911, I am not sure if that is still feasible

Old 09-01-2009, 06:17 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,137 times
You could also consider parking in Fredericksburg VA and taking the VRE to Union Station in DC.
That would let you miss a lot of traffic on 95 in NoVA

Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,859 times
You'll probably be best taking I-95 north to the Springfield Metro station. (The one furthest south)

Go up 95 and take Exit 169 A-B (there should be signs for the metro station)
At the fork in the exit, stay RIGHT. This will put you out on Spring Mall Rd. (The mall will be on your left as you pass it)
Take that road until it dead-ends at Frontier Dr, and make a RIGHT.
Frontier Dr will take you straight into the Metro Parking lot, after you go under Franconia Springfield Parkway. (just keep driving straight until you get to the parking garage)

Since you are going on the weekend, I'm pretty sure parking is free. If you DO have to pay for parking, make sure you pay INSIDE the station... there is NO way to pay for parking as you exit the garage, and if you try, then you're just stuck at the gate with a line of cars behind you, and it's a real mess.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM

157 posts, read 569,314 times
Thank you so much for the help, everyone!! Especially EricD- that's what we're going to do!! It's only $7.80 to travel on the MetroRail all day and with 7 kids, 4 adults, it'll be the easiest thing!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 AM

283 posts, read 652,829 times
EricD is exactly correct. You can also purchase an all day metro card which will allow you unlimited trips on trains for the entire day. Other places to visit in DC are the Zoo, Pentagon city, and China town. You can also take in a Washington Nationals baseball game (also on metro line). Have a great time.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:22 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
You'll probably be best taking I-95 north to the Springfield Metro station. (The one furthest south)

Go up 95 and take Exit 169 A-B (there should be signs for the metro station)
At the fork in the exit, stay RIGHT. This will put you out on Spring Mall Rd. (The mall will be on your left as you pass it)
Take that road until it dead-ends at Frontier Dr, and make a RIGHT.
Frontier Dr will take you straight into the Metro Parking lot, after you go under Franconia Springfield Parkway. (just keep driving straight until you get to the parking garage)

Since you are going on the weekend, I'm pretty sure parking is free. If you DO have to pay for parking, make sure you pay INSIDE the station... there is NO way to pay for parking as you exit the garage, and if you try, then you're just stuck at the gate with a line of cars behind you, and it's a real mess.
Glad you surfaced Eric! Hadn't seen any posts in a while. And I second what you said!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,859 times
Hey.

Yeah, I guess I haven't been posting much... not much to post in response to lately really.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:43 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
For future reference, some other transit options that don't involve driving outside the Richmond area include using Amtrak from the Staples Mill Road station a few miles north of downtown and Greyhound from the Greyhound station across the street from The Diamond baseball park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond