Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:13 AM

62 posts, read 69,708 times

Advertisements

Based on advice online I'm looking into Glen Allen & Midlothian for suburbs, but my fiancée really only wants to consider something in the city. We'll be visiting the area in the spring, but would be nice to narrow down the particular areas. We don't have any kids.

Based on that I'm looking into the following neighborhoods. Besides costs usually being higher in the I'm weary of any city because there are good & bad neighborhoods & some neighborhoods may be in the downswing, so within 5 years a good neighborhood can turn. Just looking to see based on people's experiences if I should avoid certain neighborhoods or if they can recommend maybe an area very close to the city.

For listings I've been looking at the following:

The Fan
Museum District
Carytown
Oregon Hill
Forest Hill
Woodland Heights
Bellevue
Church Hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 11:08 AM

132 posts, read 191,411 times
I'd be surprised if the fan/museum district/carytown have significant issues regarding upswing/downswing - they're established neighborhoods and weren't all that bad even when Richmond had more crime than it does now. I can't speak for the others as much. I've also heard that some areas of glen allen might not be that great, so you might have some upswing/downswing to deal with in the suburbs too.

by forest hill do you also mean to include westover hills? I think that's a really nice neighborhood and doesn't seem to get as much discussion as some of the others on city data. You might also consider near west end neighborhoods (just west of the museum district south of broad) - they're very nice and a bit more suburban feeling (if you're looking to compromise with your fiancée).

are you looking to be in a driving area or a walking area? the neighborhoods you list are a mix of walking/driving. if you want a big lawn, you're not likely to get that in the dense parts of the city (fan/museum district/carytown/Oregon hill/church hill) unless you spend a lot of money (and even then you won't get much lawn), but if you want to be able to walk to stores/restaurants/etc, you would probably want to stay in one of those neighborhoods.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 PM

51 posts, read 56,656 times
Most of the city is in an upswing. All of the areas you listed are are various stages of gentrification. Since you are not limited by the need for a decent school district, it all boils down to what you want and how much you are can afford. As ny_guy stated, a little further out of the fan / museum district you will get bigger yards. Not acres, but a nice size for a dog / young kids to play in. I would also look West of the Museum district, past Hamilton (23230 / 23226). Bellevue and Ginter park to the north of the city have some nice homes as well (23227 and 23222).

Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_guy View Post
I'd be surprised if the fan/museum district/carytown have significant issues regarding upswing/downswing - they're established neighborhoods and weren't all that bad even when Richmond had more crime than it does now. I can't speak for the others as much. I've also heard that some areas of glen allen might not be that great, so you might have some upswing/downswing to deal with in the suburbs too.

by forest hill do you also mean to include westover hills? I think that's a really nice neighborhood and doesn't seem to get as much discussion as some of the others on city data. You might also consider near west end neighborhoods (just west of the museum district south of broad) - they're very nice and a bit more suburban feeling (if you're looking to compromise with your fiancée).

are you looking to be in a driving area or a walking area? the neighborhoods you list are a mix of walking/driving. if you want a big lawn, you're not likely to get that in the dense parts of the city (fan/museum district/carytown/Oregon hill/church hill) unless you spend a lot of money (and even then you won't get much lawn), but if you want to be able to walk to stores/restaurants/etc, you would probably want to stay in one of those neighborhoods.
Thanks for the replies. I think my fiancée would probably like to walk to places, be in the center. I'm not too concerned about driving. Is Richmond an easy city to drive thru? Boston is a major pain in the butt to drive. In terms of areas I haven't been done there yet, so I'm honestly not sure what these neighborhoods actually entail. For instance I saw something that said to look at "The Neighbors." I don't see anything that says that on my neighborhood search.

Last edited by gdubs31; 05-31-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 10:26 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs31 View Post
I'm not too concerned about driving. Is Richmond an easy city to drive thru? Boston is a major pain in the butt to drive. In terms of areas I haven't been done there yet, so I'm honestly not sure what these neighborhoods actually entail.
I think Richmond is easy to drive in, and I have driven in Boston. I agree with the Near West End suggestion. The main problem with "being in the center" of everything is parking. For example, if you live in the Fan, you will probably have only one parking space. Is that going to work if you have jobs on opposite ends of the city?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I think Richmond is easy to drive in, and I have driven in Boston. I agree with the Near West End suggestion. The main problem with "being in the center" of everything is parking. For example, if you live in the Fan, you will probably have only one parking space. Is that going to work if you have jobs on opposite ends of the city?
If we moved I would be working in Glen Allen & possibly at home a couple of days a week. My fiancée would have to find a job down here, but we both have a car so that would factor into a decision. She might find something in the city might not. Right now she works in-home so she has to commute around.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:55 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs31 View Post
Right now she works in-home so she has to commute around.
It sounds like you need to be in a location where you are guaranteed two parking spaces. Unless you find an apartment building with two spaces, that sounds like you need to be in a more suburban location. Definitely not in The Fan!

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-31-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 06:43 AM

132 posts, read 191,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It sounds like you need to be in a location where you are guaranteed two parking spaces. Unless you find an apartment building with two spaces, that sounds like you need to be in a more suburban location. Definitely not in The Fan!
I disagree, depending on budget. There are plenty of houses in the Fan, Museum District, etc with two parking spaces, but they tend to be bigger houses on bigger lots and so tend to be more expensive. It's just another constraint you need to add to your housing search.

I also agree with others that driving in Richmond is no big deal. You won't be able to easily find parking in hot areas on weekends, but it's nothing like driving in the northeast. If you go to the near west end and want to go out in, say, Carytown, you're probably only talking about a 10 to 15-min drive even with traffic/lights. People in Short Pump like to say they're 15-20 minutes from Fan/downtown too, but they're not - it's probably more like at least 25-30 once you factor in getting to the highway, getting on and off, stoplights, etc. That probably is the case going the other way, too, so if you don't want to commute you actually should probably consider living closer to Short Pump.

One compromise you could consider is something like west broad village. It's in Short Pump and is all new construction but is actually a fairly walkable area.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:52 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
Richmond city is all on the upswing, rather dramatically in fact.

Driving in Richmond is approximately one hundred million bazillion times easier than driving in Boston. And I always kind of enjoyed driving in Boston, as it felt like a competitive contact sport. Worried that I'm losing my edge down here...

Old 06-02-2015, 04:53 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
Fan and museum district are the obvious choices for someone moving into town. Like moving into back bay or south end in Boston. From there you can figure out where to go next. Glen Allen is natick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond