Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 587 times

Advertisements

This is an old thread, but I'm about to start a job in Short Pump, commuting from Newport News once or twice a week (more often to begin with). Anybody interested in carpooling? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 09:05 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times
That's a lot of gas and a pretty decent commute to tackle daily. Is this M-F? Thankfully, there aren't that many choke points along the route. The r/RVA and r/HamptonRoads Reddit forums are going to better for finding carpools as they're just more active.

Have you considered relocating closer to the Richmond area? Even Williamsburg would cut about 30 or so minutes off your commute. New Kent, say Patriot's Landing, would put you at about 35 minutes to either.

Old 11-13-2023, 07:32 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrutch View Post
This is an old thread, but I'm about to start a job in Short Pump, commuting from Newport News once or twice a week (more often to begin with). Anybody interested in carpooling? Any advice?
Only advice. I did the reverse for quite some time (lived in the West End and worked in Newport News). The road is 10 times better than it used to be, with only a couple of choke points remaining. On the Newport News->Richmond leg, check traffic at the 95-64 interchange as you approach it, about mile marker 210.

If it's jammed at the time you look, seriously consider coming around 295 around mile marker 200-more miles, but almost always free flowing and sometimes faster.

Think hard about when you put your car in for maintenance. The miles are doable but stack up quickly, you have to think ahead on maintenance appointments. Don't skip that maintenance, not once, even if you're a bit late based on miles get it done.

Learn to love podcasts.

Have a go-bag packed and in your trunk. If you're seriously zapped at the end of a workday, a hotel is far preferable to a car accident.

Old 11-14-2023, 01:52 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
To us in the Richmond and HR regions it sounds awful.
But the drive is easy (I drove from downtown Richmond to Denbigh a few times a week for about two years). It would take me around 1.25-1.50 hours before the lane additions. That’s just a normal commute time for a huge number of Americans in dozens of metros across the country.

Old 11-15-2023, 05:38 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,096 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that starting in 2024 VDOT will be starting construction on closing the gap (roughly from mile marker 205 to 233), expanding the last two lanes to three from Richmond to Williamsburg. Construction is supposed to last until 2027, but I'm not sure if that's just the first of 3 segments or the whole thing. I'm sure most of the construction will be overnight, but there's sure to be some daytime disruptions.

http://https://www.virginiadot.org/p...a-widening.asp

Old 11-17-2023, 12:32 AM

107 posts, read 121,676 times
Quote:
Yes. Look for another job. Seriously. I used to do that drive daily and I-64 the length of the drive is bad enough, but it's hell on Earth with all the idiots driving slow in the left lane.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 1,882 times
That's a long day when the weather is bad, your car is not the best, or the tunnel is jammed/accident. But with preparation and planning, and your support network in place for the kiddo, it's possible. Best success to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond