Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm new to the forums, just trying to find the best route to Baltimore.
I'm planning a trip to the Baltimore Convention Center this summer, and I want to arrive before 10am. So gonna be an early riser on that day. I've read that the parkway can be a nightmare, but Rt 301 can be used to avoid traffic. Just wondering if anyone would know if this is the best way to travel for early morning?
Thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:27 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,479,159 times
From where; and on what day of the week?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:40 AM

Most likely somewhere in the west end - haven't pegged that yet since I'm carpooling with others who live in Williamsburg (I live out in Rockville in Hanover).

It will be on a Thursday morning (August 11th).

Old 04-28-2016, 11:54 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,479,159 times
Not sure what you mean by "west end".

Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM

West End - as in closer to Short Pump outside of RVA

Old 04-28-2016, 05:14 PM

553 posts, read 618,455 times
First off, have fun at Otakon! I attended last year as staff for the arcade games -- I hope to be back again this year.

In your position, I'd leave at 6am (I know that's not entirely up to you), and just follow 95 all the way up and around the Outer Loop of the beltway. Whether to take the B-W Pkwy or 95 from there would depend on the traffic conditions.

I haven't driven all the way to Baltimore on 301, but I have been as far as Bowie, and the stoplights and traffic starting at around La Plata wouldn't really be to my liking for that sort of trip. Google's estimates for RVA to Baltimore in Thursday morning traffic show little difference in estimated time going either way -- just a wide range in the estimated time for both (basically 3 hrs +/- 30 mins based on traffic luck for 95, add 10 minutes for 301).

Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
First off, have fun at Otakon! I attended last year as staff for the arcade games -- I hope to be back again this year.

In your position, I'd leave at 6am (I know that's not entirely up to you), and just follow 95 all the way up and around the Outer Loop of the beltway. Whether to take the B-W Pkwy or 95 from there would depend on the traffic conditions.

I haven't driven all the way to Baltimore on 301, but I have been as far as Bowie, and the stoplights and traffic starting at around La Plata wouldn't really be to my liking for that sort of trip. Google's estimates for RVA to Baltimore in Thursday morning traffic show little difference in estimated time going either way -- just a wide range in the estimated time for both (basically 3 hrs +/- 30 mins based on traffic luck for 95, add 10 minutes for 301).
Thanks! This is my first time driving up, and I'm a volunteer so I need to be there to take the orientation class at 10am. o.o Don't want to start the weekend off late~

Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 PM

19,270 posts, read 17,147,017 times
I've driven 301 before and it may be a good choice to avoid the DC nightmare. It would be best to leave your home around 6:30 and take whatever route works best to get on 95N, take that till you get to the Bowling Green exit then get off for 301. Yes I know you can take it through Hanover but its a 2 lane road and winding. Waldorf in MD will be a challenge most likely traffic will start getting heavy but continue till you hit I97 into the 695 beltway. I really can't give insight to traffic/traffic patterns in the Baltimore metro in the morning.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I've driven 301 before and it may be a good choice to avoid the DC nightmare. It would be best to leave your home around 6:30 and take whatever route works best to get on 95N, take that till you get to the Bowling Green exit then get off for 301. Yes I know you can take it through Hanover but its a 2 lane road and winding. Waldorf in MD will be a challenge most likely traffic will start getting heavy but continue till you hit I97 into the 695 beltway. I really can't give insight to traffic/traffic patterns in the Baltimore metro in the morning.
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely map out this route to compare with the more direct route too. (Some people are saying what you suggested to avoid DC, others are saying even w/ traffic it's the same time, so I have some calculating to do. )

Old 05-02-2016, 07:54 AM

485 posts, read 691,248 times
Leaving Richmond 6am on a weekday - I would probably go the 301 route to avoid I-95 going into DC. Sometimes it won't be bad but you never know. At least going 301 route it may be a little longer but it will be predictable. You can take 301 all the way to 3 to I97 and avoid beltway all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond