Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,268 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Richmond from Florida, the beginning of August. We are in our early and mid thirties, no children. We enjoy great food, going out and also laying low in our home. We are currently looking at the Fan, West End, Downtown and near the James River.

The Fan was initially our first choice, but I am wondering if it's going to be too many young college kids, too loud, and not that safe. Thoughts?

In regards to some of the other areas, I believe some are more suburban. We can't relate to couples with kids yet. So, not looking for a cul de sac life. Young professional environment would be ideal, thats close enough to lively places.

I have been looking at trulia, zillow, craigslist and I found a couple of rental management companies. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Also, I looked at some lofts and condos overlooking the James River. Are there any buildings that any of you have seen in person and are awesome?

We are financially stable, so cost is not a issue. And we would really like to get to know the area before we decide where we would like to buy in a couple of years.

Thank you for your help and advice!

Last edited by AKova; 06-03-2016 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:54 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Very few college kids in the fan anymore. They can't afford it. Unless you are right up on VCU.

Please read the last 200 posts on the subject here... We've beat this one to death.

TL;DR? Rent in the Fan or museum district. Then decide where to live after a year. This is the standard rec for people like you, for good reason.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:55 AM

oh, and safety is just not an issue, who's still spouting that circa 1997 nonsense?

Old 06-05-2016, 11:28 AM

Charlesaf3, thanks for your input on the area and good to know it's safe.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:51 AM

I'm not just saying that, btw, its where I live. And a bunch of other people who post here.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:15 PM

After reading recent posts that described the area as unsafe and advised for women not to walk alone in the evening. Also, that cars get broken into often, it did make me feel better to hear differently, from someone who lives in the area.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:44 PM

79 posts, read 116,263 times
I would feel safe living in the Fan. As for car break-ins, we have them in my district (Museum/Westhampton), but they are almost all thefts from unlocked vehicles. If you lock your car doors, you should be fine! Unfortunately, we have plenty of neighbors who can't seem to remember to lock their cars so the "break-ins" continue -- the thieves just have to stroll down the street and try doors! Drives me crazy, but doesn't affect my sense of security here.

You might also want to check out some of the lofts down by the River in the Bottom -- a lot of the young professionals in my office live down there and love it!

Old 06-05-2016, 09:15 PM

I'm surprised, those posts have become pretty rare of late, and usually one of the city dwellers will call nonsense on that quickly. It was true 20 years ago, but a lot of things were different then.

Its a city, so crime can happen. Just like in the burbs. But you can read how in the paper how many serious crimes happen in the fan/museum - basically none.

Most bad crime in Richmond is in the projects, much like most cities.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettagrl View Post
I would feel safe living in the Fan. As for car break-ins, we have them in my district (Museum/Westhampton), but they are almost all thefts from unlocked vehicles. If you lock your car doors, you should be fine! Unfortunately, we have plenty of neighbors who can't seem to remember to lock their cars so the "break-ins" continue -- the thieves just have to stroll down the street and try doors! Drives me crazy, but doesn't affect my sense of security here.

You might also want to check out some of the lofts down by the River in the Bottom -- a lot of the young professionals in my office live down there and love it!
Thank you! Ive checked out the lofts down by the River as well! I appreciate your insight!

Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 AM

199 posts, read 334,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKova View Post
Thank you! Ive checked out the lofts down by the River as well! I appreciate your insight!
In Shockoe Bottom? For what it's worth I had a friend who lived in the River Lofts and it was a beautiful apartment and he liked living there. IMO, if you're worried about things being too loud or having too many college kids though I'd definitely pick the Fan/Museum District over the Bottom. It's a big party/nightlife area with a bunch of bars and clubs and I'd say the demographic skews towards the college and early-20s crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: