Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 AM

86 posts, read 247,359 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to the Richmond area within the next 6 months, with my significant other, from Queens NY. We're in our 40s and 50s, I'm originally from Ohio and he's from NC. We're tired of NYC and are looking for a slower paced, easier way of life. I would be commuting to DC at the most 2 days per week and SO is self employed. Our annual income would be about $110,000. We like the outdoors (tennis, fishing, biking, golf) and are looking for a 1 or 2 bdrm apt for no more than $1250 per month, less if possible. We don't have kids and aren't looking to buy a house at the moment. I've been looking online at different areas and Glen Allen seems like the best. Do you think this would be a good area for us? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 05:14 PM

457 posts, read 693,885 times
Look somewhere in MD or closer to NoVA. It's going to suit you better.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:23 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
Look somewhere in MD or closer to NoVA. It's going to suit you better.
Wow, that was really helpful.

Henrico, Chesterfield, Tuckahoe, Forest Hill....lots of options. The Richmond area is a beautiful, well rounded community and it just keeps getting better. You've made a good choice and the more research you undertake will obviously lead to a more satisfying outcome.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:59 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Richmond can be a schlep to DC even at 2 days a week, with this in mind consider looking at Fredericksburg which has the Virginia Rail System (VRS) this will allow you to take a commuter rail line into the city. Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania county has much of the same stuff as the Glen Allen / Short Pump area and you shouldn't have any problem finding what you like.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:46 AM

485 posts, read 690,136 times
You could always look in the Ashland area - that is right on I-95 heading right to DC.

Other then that yes Glen Allen area or Mechanicsville are probably your next closest options. Fairly quiet areas / less urban unless you get down to Short Pump area.

As far as river and nature go I like Westover hills area - but you will have some tolls and a little more time headed north from center of city.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:01 AM

457 posts, read 693,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Richmond can be a schlep to DC even at 2 days a week, with this in mind consider looking at Fredericksburg which has the Virginia Rail System (VRS) this will allow you to take a commuter rail line into the city. Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania county has much of the same stuff as the Glen Allen / Short Pump area and you shouldn't have any problem finding what you like.
I forgot about Fredericksburg!

Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 AM

485 posts, read 690,136 times
The Richmond to Fredericksburg part is easy .... its that Fredericksburg to DC leg that is the problem.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:15 AM

86 posts, read 247,359 times
Thanks So much for all the great responses! I forgot to mention that I plan on driving to the VRE and taking the train into DC. I don't want to deal with the traffic all the way to DC. Which VRE station is best for this? Is parking ever an issue?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:54 AM

419 posts, read 902,637 times
I used Amtrak from the staples mill station in Richmond when I was working in DC doing some contract work. If you don't have kids there are some great neighborhoods in Richmond for people whose kids have left the picture or don't have them. Most of the neighborhoods I would look at for that would be light on apartments but I would look at the area near stony point, Forest Hill or in the fan/museum district.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:09 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
For the record I'm biased as I live in Glen Allen. Moved to the area 7 years ago from Boston. The whole area is awesome, has everything. Originally lived in Short pump which is awesome by itself and regardless of what you hear traffic slows down but overall is fine. Not as pricey as you'll hear but not cheap either. Glen Allen is an awesome neighborhood which can be close to everything depending on where you are.

As it's been said from Ric to Fredericksburg is easy, from that point forward is pretty bad. I'm a truck driver and do it a couple times a week. I can typically get through Manhattan and the Bronx on 95 doing a total cut through faster that I can make it up 95 in Northern VA. Remember, when lists always show that "DC" has some of the worst traffic in the country, "DC" is really Northern VA and Southern MD. It's bad, But the commuter rail makes it easy.

In your case with the income of $110k I'm for the commute twice a week, over $100k in Richmond is equivalent of $250k in NYC, whether you drive, train or a combo of both your on the upside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond