Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,822 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm looking for your thoughts/advice/knowledge about the North Ginter Park. We are a young family (three boys under 5) moving to Richmond from Kansas City. I'm not worried about schools because we planning to go private but I am curious about safety and general vibe of the area. We loved our neighborhood in KC and want something similarl - kids to play with, safe to take a walk, and friendly neighbors. It seems the Ginter area can be street by street. The house is around Seminary and Westminster. Also what is it like to drive across the bridge in the AM for school and work? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,319 times
I know that Ginter Park is going through a lot of positive transition currently. You can get a lot of home for the money. Richmond real estate is exploding right now, and Ginter Park will soon become one of the next great neighborhoods. Also checkout Bellevue, it's got a little more going on currently, but both are great. Have you looked in Byrd Park or Westover? For the money, those are good neighborhoods as well.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:45 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
I agree with the Bellevue suggestion. The area near Seminary has a lot of the same housing stock as the Bellevue neighborhood but I find the houses in Bellevue to be a little better maintained. I currently live in nearby Battery Park. I love the area. Driving across the bridge to South Side shouldn't be an issue outside of normal morning traffic on Belvidere, through downtown. The area you are looking at is a safe area but can get a little rough on the other side of Chamberlayne Avenue. There doesn't seem to be much spillover into the surrounding areas so you wont really be affected by the crime. There are plenty of children/families in the area so you should not have any problems in that department. People are also really friendly in the area. I once caught a flat tire in Bellevue and three different neighbors came out to check on me, offer me water and even offered to have me inside for dinner! The area is close to downtown so that is also a plus.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 AM

126 posts, read 482,726 times
This has been an "up and coming" area for roughly 20-25 years. There's Section 8 housing right in the middle of the most "desirable" part of Bellvue. It is bordered by some areas of extremely high crime of all types.

I'd recommend that you look elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:36 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
If you see something that looks good for you during the day go by at night/weekend when everyone is home to get a real feel. Also visiting the local 7-11 can give you a good feel on what the area is like.

Good Luck

Old 07-06-2017, 07:37 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
This has been an "up and coming" area for roughly 20-25 years. There's Section 8 housing right in the middle of the most "desirable" part of Bellvue. It is bordered by some areas of extremely high crime of all types.

I'd recommend that you look elsewhere.
There isn't section 8 housing in Bellevue.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 PM

126 posts, read 482,726 times
Actually, there is. It is on MacArthur right across from the former Tastebuds restaurant. I can't remember what restaurant is in there now.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
Actually, there is. It is on MacArthur right across from the former Tastebuds restaurant. I can't remember what restaurant is in there now.
Those apartments are not actually based on income. They are just very old and don't look great from the outside. They run about 750/month and don't have vacancies often because they are mostly inhabited by older individuals who have been living there for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond