Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 07:18 AM

16 posts, read 18,708 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the Richmond area this year and looking for a home in a country/rural setting. We have visited the area several times and like the counties West/Northwest of the city for access to conveniences plus affordability of homes + land. So far we like Powhatan, Goochland and parts of Hanover county near Rockville/Montpelier.

Each place has it own appeal so I am looking for some help in finding out things you can't learn from quick visits. Like are these places safe and are the people friendly? Any random refugee camps or odd developments? Is the traffic unreasonably bad certain times of day or all the time? Do any of these locations lack adequate police/fire service?

I see the schools are rated in the middle of the pack yet far behind the Short Pump/Midloathian areas. While schools are important enough that they shouldn't be the worst in the state I am not willing to sacrifice quality of life IMO to live in suburbia. The question here is, anything we should know about in the schools for these areas that would scare us away.

Thanks in advance for any help.

p.s- moving from ruckersville near charlottesville if that helps with frame of reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,867,518 times
Powhatan and Goochland are both safe. I can't comment on schools, as kids are already grown up. You can probably get more acreage for the dollar in Powhatan. As I have property in Charlottesville and two in Powhatan. I can give you information about Powhatan. Let's see I've covered two. Powhatan has very few subdivision neighborhoods and from I've seen the ones on 711 have a lot of turnover. So the best thing is to look for property that has at least 5 acres and is zoned as A-1. The sweet spot is East of 522 and North of 60. Crime here is the Walmart and speeders. Home break ins are rare and have usually been near the Chesterfield line South of 60. People wise, they are not unfriendly, but don't consider them too friendly for more than acquaintances that you wave to and that's about it. The main thing for this county is it's extremely conservative and privacy is considered important As to refugee camps or odd developments I'm guessing you mean apartment complexes; AFAIK there are none and each time it's come up in front of the board it's been denied.

As for a comparison, I rarely drive past the airport on 29. I'd probably use Barracks Rd (Garth) for a comparison. The shopping center at 29/250 states what shopping is like in the country (most people in Powhatan shop 15 minutes away on 60 in Midlothian). Once one drives past Barracks West Townhomes on 29, consider that in line with Powhatan. As on that road you'll see a $400k home sitting sometimes next to a Million dollar home, the same is in Powhatan.

So basically, if you want a area where safety is of high importance ( large Sheriff department and numerous fire stations) than Powhatan is the direction to go on. But keep in mind that it leans Right. If shopping is in your short list, then Goochland is the way to go as you would have closer access to the Far West End on route 250 in Henrico and gives you as bad traffic as on 29.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:32 AM

Thank you for the context and info. We did like the area you mentioned in Powhatan and happy to hear that both Goochland and Powhatan are safe.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:33 AM

457 posts, read 696,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Powhatan and Goochland are both safe. I can't comment on schools, as kids are already grown up. You can probably get more acreage for the dollar in Powhatan. As I have property in Charlottesville and two in Powhatan. I can give you information about Powhatan. Let's see I've covered two. Powhatan has very few subdivision neighborhoods and from I've seen the ones on 711 have a lot of turnover. So the best thing is to look for property that has at least 5 acres and is zoned as A-1. The sweet spot is East of 522 and North of 60. Crime here is the Walmart and speeders. Home break ins are rare and have usually been near the Chesterfield line South of 60. People wise, they are not unfriendly, but don't consider them too friendly for more than acquaintances that you wave to and that's about it. The main thing for this county is it's extremely conservative and privacy is considered important As to refugee camps or odd developments I'm guessing you mean apartment complexes; AFAIK there are none and each time it's come up in front of the board it's been denied.

As for a comparison, I rarely drive past the airport on 29. I'd probably use Barracks Rd (Garth) for a comparison. The shopping center at 29/250 states what shopping is like in the country (most people in Powhatan shop 15 minutes away on 60 in Midlothian). Once one drives past Barracks West Townhomes on 29, consider that in line with Powhatan. As on that road you'll see a $400k home sitting sometimes next to a Million dollar home, the same is in Powhatan.

So basically, if you want a area where safety is of high importance ( large Sheriff department and numerous fire stations) than Powhatan is the direction to go on. But keep in mind that it leans Right. If shopping is in your short list, then Goochland is the way to go as you would have closer access to the Far West End on route 250 in Henrico and gives you as bad traffic as on 29.
I'm trying to figure out how the bolded is exactly a bad thing, and why it's even being brought up. Why do they need to keep that in mind? If you know anything about Virginia or really any state then you know most rural areas are conservative outside of the Liberal city bubbles.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:42 PM

27 posts, read 29,466 times
Amelia (Courthouse), you can't get much more rural than that.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:04 PM

I think that they are indicating that cell phones aren't free. Everyone will have to pay for their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond