Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:52 PM

31 posts, read 67,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archaeofreak View Post
I grew up in chester, a small town in chesterfield county. Its not really separate from chesterfield or Richmond itself, for that matter. Over the last 15 years development has blended these areas together into 1 mass of homogeneous urbanization. If you are working in chesterfield county at a hospital, I would recommend whynot?'s suggestions with the addition that it really depends on your lifestyle. If you have kids, his options are good. If you are younger (mid 20's to mid 30's) with no kids I would suggest buying a renovated house in church hill (south of broad) or Oregon hill, or renting in the fan (500-1600/month to rent or 500k average to buy) depending on exact location and condition etc...if you are wealthy, you could check out the tobacco warehouses that have been renovated into high end apartments/townhouses along the river.

Church hill, Oregon hill Are you trying to get her killed! I think this was a set-up post! Why in the hell would she go there? I hope she didn't follow your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
A murder in Oregon Hill would be pretty rare...

Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 AM

31 posts, read 67,692 times
Has O-hill got better? I grew up in Richmond and my Family is still there. My dad says Richmond has gotten worse I remember both places being very bad. Has it changed that much?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
You should look into it... Richmond's crime rate has plummeted considerably since around 2005. Homicides are at their lowest levels since at least 1971. Last year Richmond recorded 35 homicides... The last time there were less than 51 in 1 year was 1971... I'd say that's some progress, particularly since murders peaked at 160 in 1994. Every single violent crime category has been dropping by double digits almost every year since 2005. Oregon Hill is a mix of VCU students, young families, long time working class residents, and young professionals. Could be better, but definitely not a terrible place by any means.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 AM

27 posts, read 96,650 times
There is also Chesterfield, the town, in Chesterfield County, which is a little bit northwest of Chester just bordering Midlothian. We live in Chesterfield, the town, and love it here too. We are within 20 minutes of Stony Point Mall and 30 min to Short Pump. I would definitely come look at both Chester and Chesterfield, and even Midlothian, see which area suits you best in Chesterfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond