Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the baseball in Richmond issues?
Want new Shockoe Bottom stadium 5 41.67%
Fix up The Diamond 3 25.00%
Rebuild on the Boulevard 0 0%
I'm done with baseball/I don't care. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,064 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, what are your thought's on the baseball situation as (tax paying) Richmonders? Here is a update on the current situation. Do you think they'll ever come to a agreement? How do you feel about them using taxes or the impact on local businesses and the historic areas? I'm not sure if I would be able to tolerate much more traffic downtown.

Last edited by Anders15; 05-21-2009 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,586 times
I'm a tax paying city resident. My understanding is that the taxes diverted to fund the ballpark would only come from within the boundaries of the Shockoe Center development. No existing businesses or residents would be impacted by the special tax district. Currently, the dirt and abandoned buildings generate minimal income to the city.

We definitely need to explore ways of minimizing the city's exposure in guaranteeing bonds issued for construction. For example, I read recently that naming rights on another minor league ballpark fetched $5 million over 20 years. Replicating that here with a "Dominion Park" or "MeadWestvaco Field" doesn't seem too far fetched once the economy improves. Will this stadium have skyboxes? If so, how many. Selling those to corporate users could secure additional compensation.

The less exposure to the city in the event projections aren't met, the more it seems to make sense to me. We have the chance to improve a vacant flood plain (this issue also needs to be addressed in construction) into a mixed-use project anchored by a new ballpark next to a new multi-modal transit center next to a major heritage site exploring Richmond's slave history. The prospect of all of those falling into place simultaneously is exciting. With GRTC's downtown hub next to a stadium, suburban residents could drive to suburban park 'n ride locations, hitch a ride on an express bus, and merely walk across the street to the ballpark. The minivan/SUV would never have to venture downtown to park! City residents could walk to their nearest stop and ride the bus down. This would help reduce the increased traffic from an estimated 6,000 people (keep in mind over 80,000 people work downtown every day - congestion is NOT that bad).

Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM

Yeah I agree with you on the last part. Also VCU is local maybe they would be interested in the events. I have no idea what they would do with the flooding though.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:19 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,307 times
WOW @ the results...dead even (albeit only 2 votes for each)

I, personally, would LOVE to see downtown baseball...however, I'll be done at VCU in 1-2 years so I doubt I'll see it before I leave (unless I stay in the area for a few years after graduation..which is highly likely)

I wasn't raised in Richmond so I don't have any kind of history with or sentimental attachment to the Diamond or Boulevard area, so maybe my opinion is somehow less valid.

From what I've heard, some of the opposition with the downtown location has something to do with a slave trail or something? Any info on that? As an African American, and a lover of history, I recognize how important it is to preserve those types of landmarks. BUT if we were to attempt to preserve ever relic from history and refuse to develop any area with any kind of historical background, we would never progress....How about just build a monument or something? A museum..i dunno...

Also, about crime in the area...I've heard that used as an issue. However, I've been downtown many times and I've never encountered any such problems. Am I just lucky or is the whole "dont-build-downtown-because-theres-crime" thing overblown?

Lastly, I noticed quite a few downtown businesses are opposed to the downtown stadium...
What is there basis of opposition? Wouldn't bringing a stadium downtown (and the people that would come with it) bring more customers to the area? Opposing the stadium seems counterintuitive.

Again, I would like to see the downtown stadium built, but at the same time I don't know all of the details of why people oppose it (as evident from my above statements). I would have to research that a bit further to come up with a definite answer...anyone..feel free to answer any of the questions I asked above...

Old 05-23-2009, 11:20 AM

[UPDATE]

Black history was and is all throughout the city. Spots like the Hippodrome was once Richmond's equal to Apollo but it just sits there. Most of the slave jails are now expensive modern condos. Heck there are still slave graveyards are burred under parking lots. Carrytown was once mostly black also. The only way you will ever know about African American history here is if you ask someone old enough. Trust me. Most black parts of the city are usually "avoided" now days. Oh but there is a tiny "African American Museum" that is itself barely meeting ends to stay open.

Maybe you should visit them and ask about places like Jackson Ward. Every black person here should know about the old Jackson Ward. There is the 2 Street Festival but it is nothing like it once was, rather depressing now. There is one or two African (as in from Africa) festivals but it does not have anything to do with Richmond's history really. You can still buy art and stuff at them. There is usually a fair amount of people there.

There is a lot of history all within the city just laying there. Jamestown is still digging theirs up we should be too. And like I said if people felt so strongly about African American history they would have tried to preserve it long before now. The local residents are just using it as a excuse. I bet no one downtown could tell you where the slave trail is to begin with.

It does suck yes, but we have to move on. If we explored a lot more I bet we could find a whole new wealth but no one wants to do that.. Remember the train in the tunnel? We don't take the city's history for granted imo. I'm willing to bet if they do not build it downtown, those very things I mentioned and the slave trail will just remain in the same condition for the next 15 years.

Last edited by Anders15; 05-23-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,784,307 times
I agree.

I have a question about the stadium tho. Its slated to cost $60million right? For just the stadium with another three hundred million in related development.
My question is, what makes this stadium so expensive?

Below is a list of recently built ball parks with their year built capacity and costs:
Isotopes Park/2003/12,215/$25Million:

Fresno Grizzlies Stadium/2002/12,500/$24Million
http://www.fresnohotelsuites.com/images/cmsimg_1212698498.jpg (broken link)
http://www.fresnohotelsuites.com/images/apg_1213066797.jpg (broken link)

Fifth Third Field (Downtown Toledo)2002/7,250/$32.9M

^^^^(Notice the similarities...except price of course)

[SIZE=-1]Louisville Slugger Field/2000/13,131/$27.8M

(Another urban, downtown park)

Montgomery Riverwalk stadium/2004/7,000/$26M
http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/ph/mgmrvr1.jpg (broken link)
http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/ph/mgmrvr2.jpg (broken link)

So my question is why are construction costs for the stadium expected to be so high?
The above stadiums were all built between 2000 and 2004....
I know costs have increased, but with the current economic climate it seems like bids would be lower...
My dad works in an industry highly tied to construction materials and such and he's been talking about how material costs are down...soo...any idea why it would cost $60mil instead of...10-25million less...

I think if they could trim down the costs, maybe more people would jump on board....oh well..maybe one day I'll get to see baseball downtown. LOL

[/SIZE]

Old 05-24-2009, 10:34 AM

283 posts, read 652,694 times
I love baseball, but to spend this kind of money to bring a AA team to Richmond is crazy. If you travel to AA parks all over the country, most are in much worse condition that the present day diamond. Folks lets get real here. With all of the problems Richmond has, it is unbelievable that anyone would even consider this. If professional baseball is really serious about wanting a new stadium here, let them at least commit to a AAA franchise. It would be an even better idea if a AAA team was affiliated with the Washington Nationals or Baltimore Orioles. For the money they want us to spend, we should also expect an occasional major league game to be played at the new facility. I think that we are being played for a bunch of suckers, by professional baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: