Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM

37 posts, read 63,963 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I are currently looking to relocate from upstate Ny to somewhere warm. We have looked into Fl, although the job market is terrible and rumor is the schooling is even worse.

I was born in Williamsburg, I have visited a few times, but I don't exactly remember much. And I will be honest, I haven't looked into much of anything regarding a move to Va mostly because I had my heart set on Fl.

We would like to move in May....Yes, very soon, but if you lived where I lived you would want out as well!

My questions for all of you, how are the schools in Va, which city would you suggest for a married couple in their mid to late 20's with a 2 yr old and another on the way, or, do you have a better suggestion as far as a warm city to move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,790,844 times
Northern VA schools are some of the best in the nation. Employment opportunities are usually strong with so many gov't related jobs. Cost of Living is pretty high so it would pay to land the job before moving to NOVA, not the other way around...

Richmond is also pretty nice. The better schools are in the counties outside of Richmond city from what I understand, check out Hanover, Henrico and Chesterfield County Schools. Cost of Living is reasonable...job outlook is overall pretty strong...definitely warmer but sometimes that can translate to humid..which can suck in the summer.

I think VA Beach was in the top 10 places to raise a family, so that may be something to consider. I think the cost of living is relatively high and I can't really speak on the job outlook but it is certainly warmer than where you are coming from.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Northern VA schools are some of the best in the nation. Employment opportunities are usually strong with so many gov't related jobs. Cost of Living is pretty high so it would pay to land the job before moving to NOVA, not the other way around...

Richmond is also pretty nice. The better schools are in the counties outside of Richmond city from what I understand, check out Hanover, Henrico and Chesterfield County Schools. Cost of Living is reasonable...job outlook is overall pretty strong...definitely warmer but sometimes that can translate to humid..which can suck in the summer.

I think VA Beach was in the top 10 places to raise a family, so that may be something to consider. I think the cost of living is relatively high and I can't really speak on the job outlook but it is certainly warmer than where you are coming from.

You are telling me everything I want to hear!!! I am not too worried about the cost of living, as NY isn't exactly the cheapest state, but that is something I will have to look into...

Thank you so much!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM

Wow, you aren't kidding about the cost of living. Haha. Looking for a 3 bedroom under $1100 is hard!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,704,798 times
Henrico and Chesterfield counties (suburbs of Richmond) have some of the top elementaries in the state. Cost of living is much cheaper than NoVa, but the job market isn't as strong. Suburban Richmond is very family friendly and child oriented.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Henrico and Chesterfield counties (suburbs of Richmond) have some of the top elementaries in the state. Cost of living is much cheaper than NoVa, but the job market isn't as strong. Suburban Richmond is very family friendly and child oriented.

Thank you thank you!!!! I love hearing that there are great schools!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM

383 posts, read 1,018,043 times
We have many wonderful school and school systems but check out this:

Official Site of the Governor of Virginia

Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickPatrick View Post
We have many wonderful school and school systems but check out this:

Official Site of the Governor of Virginia

Wow, that is incredible! And, an entire list of schools to check out!!! Even better...Lol. Thank you!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM

283 posts, read 653,743 times
My wife and I relocated to Richmond 35 years ago from Kingston NY. I can recommend Richmond as a place to relocate to. We had job interviews in late November and drove from Kingston to Albany airport. It was 20 degrees and the wind was blowing at 40 MPH. When the plane landed and we got off, it was 60 degrees and sunny. For us, the rest is history. The only thing I miss that was in NY was the Ashokan Reservoir which had some great fishing for trout and bass. Summers here are hotter and more humid than in upstate New York, but the winters are much milder. Compared to the Hudson Valley, job opportunities here are just so much better than in upstate. The economy is slow now, and it would be best to find a job before relocating. Good luck to you and your family and I hope things work out.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 28,187 times
I grew up in VA, with a brief stint in NY last year. Richmond is much nicer than northern Va, which is expensive, the traffic is horrible, and the people are not as nice. I've lived in the Richmond area since April and do not miss Nova at all.

I lived near Poughkeepsie between May '08 and Feb '09 and could barely stand the winter, but otherwise I thought it was great- a lot more laid back and country-like compared to northern VA. Wish I could live both in NY and VA! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond