Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been offered a position at Bon Secours Richmond and I was wondering what the best place was to relocate to in the area. My family and I currently live in Northern NJ, where nothing is really far away. We would like to move to an area that is within convenient driving distance to shopping, dining, supermarkets, etc. The two most important things to us though are low crime and quality public schools. I have looked at many posts about the Mechanicsville area and have read some good things. Would anyone recommend this area? Are there areas that would be better than Mechanicsville?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
So does that mean you will be at Richmond Community? Just want to make sure we have that correct as Bon Secours has several hospitals in the Richmond area.

If so, give us an idea of what is important to you and your family. Are schools coming in to the equation? HOA or no HOA? How long of a commute distance are you willing to handle? Come back to us with just a bit more info! :-)

Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 AM

Default Relocation to Richmond area

Yes, Richmond Community. Quality public schools are very important to us, we are coming from an area in NJ that has a fantastic public school system. HOAs are not really issue, doesn't matter either way. We would like to have some property though, close to 0.5 acre would be nice. Commute wise, I would be willing to drive up to 30 minutes one way.

Thank you for your help!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
I think you'll find most on this forum will recommend either Henrico or Chesterfield counties, and to some extent Hanover/Mechanicsville (PickPatrick will probably chime in there).

I can't comment too much on Henrico, but with Chesterfield county you would have a lot of options; specifically staying towards the eastern part of the county so you could hop on I95N to head to Richmond. Then you have the western part of the county (Midlothian) that would give you some options also. That may be a little past the 30 minute range though, depending how far out you go. Regardless which end of the county, there are tons of neighborhoods that could give you the lot size you are looking for.

If you head to Henrico you might be interested in the Short Pump area. There is a large outdoor shopping center (Welcome to Short Pump Town Center) there with tons of restaurants, which you mentioned wanting in your first post.

Hope this helps just a bit and let us know if you need more information!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Richmond Community is to the east of town, perhaps places in the East End or mechanicsville would be good to look into?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM

Thank you for your advice!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Unlike northern NJ (I'm from NY Burbs) driving here is not a day unto itself. Most communities that people recommend are within 30 minutes to your employment. Heck you can be in farm country in that time. As onvthoki stated Henrico/Chesterfield will probably be the biggest recomendations, Hanover is also an excellant choice with great schools and may offer more options with the acreage you mentioned. It would also be an easier commute to the east side of Richmond. Look around when you see a home/community that interests you and looks great at 1:00pm go back around dinner time and see how it looks when everyone is home.

There are many options and communities with/without hoa's exist. All the counties have one school district each so it's not like Bergen where there are 10+ school districts in 1 county. Best of luck in finding what you want! In no time you'll appreciate the lower cost of living and less hectic enviroment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond