Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,586 times

Advertisements

Richmond's Old South Roots are Never Far Away

Nice article touching on many areas of the city as well as sites to see when visiting. I recommend checking out the photo gallery section as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 PM

53 posts, read 371,338 times
Wow. That was a great article. You are really quite the source on Richmond, not surprising given your forum name. Thanks for pointing this out. :-)

Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,949 times
Richmond is a unique city that is often misunderstood by many visitors and potential residents. What makes Richmond unique is its history. I think this City should be approached slowly and not let the neighboring counties of Henrico and Chesterfield(with all of their Malls, strip centers, fast food restaurants, office parks) identify this area. It is very similar to Charleston SC in my opinion, which embraces its past and builds on it. In Richmond it seems the "suburbanites" despise the City in favor of the 'burbs. I think if more development is started down Broad Street like streetcars, light rail, downtown housing, etc the City will attract the money to keep it attractive.
Look at Pennsylvania Avenue in DC, none thought people would return to the City and I feel Richmond could do the same. Of course to see a renaissance our entire state/city/county governments must come into the 21st century like every other state and let cities annex land to keep it alive.
It really saddened me recently on a visit to the Science Museum downtown to see what they had turned that beautiful neo-classical building into.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 AM

111 posts, read 428,814 times
Just curious, what did you not like about the Science Museum?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 10,523 times
Default Great NYT Article

What a great article about our wonderful city! Most definitely will do some good in bringing more attention to companies and individuals considering relocating their business and/or families. Funny - I find I don't take advantage of the many things this city has to offer. Not suprising, though - considering I grew up just outside DC and have never been to the top of the Washington Monument!

Old 09-05-2007, 04:32 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,949 times
Default The Science Museum

When I first arrived at the museum, I was impressed by the architecture of the old train station. I understood it was designed by the same architect that built the Union Station in D.C. Funny, when I walked in the lobby I saw
a science museum that seemed not to fit in that beautiful structure. I toured the museum and really didn't see much at all but a bunch of boring exhibits. I did think the streetcar in back was interesting and it actually took people on a short ride. Wouldn't that be great if streetcars were running again down Broad Street and the train station was for trains again? Maybe one day that will happen.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
The funny thing is that I did a ton of research before my wife and I moved here. I actually came across that article! From an out-out-towner perspective, this city is fantastic. The culture, size, economy, history, activities and exciting landmarks make it a great place. Those that hate Richmond either had a specific and isolated incident that turned them sour or they'll never be happy anywhere they go. Regardless of which one it is, Richmond is on the rise!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:40 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,689 times
It was a nice article and captures the feel of Richmond. Although... Richmond isn't that close to the North.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
It was a nice article and captures the feel of Richmond. Although... Richmond isn't that close to the North.
Boy, I don't know! DC is just a short drive away, and I've never heard anyone call DC the south

Nothing wrong with that...it's the best of both worlds!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:44 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Boy, I don't know! DC is just a short drive away, and I've never heard anyone call DC the south

Nothing wrong with that...it's the best of both worlds!
Well, D.C. is not the North, IMO. Its a southern city in many ways. But my point really is, Richmond is well into Virginia, its not like its right on the Mason Dixon line or something.

Last edited by vasinger; 09-06-2007 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: