Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,323 times

Advertisements

I used to get the Stroh's in bottles in Wytheville at the Food Lion too. The distributor stopped carrying bottles. You can get cans, 30 packs, in Chester VA at the Rite Aid at 2600 Weir Ct.
The bottles are not available in the state. If you want bottles, Red Lion PA at "Cape Horn Beverage", "Beer & Soda Mart". "Cases and Kegs" in Shrewbury PA. I bought a few cases from Cape Beverage a couple of months ago. If you are in Ohio, "Arrow Beer & Wine" carries it. If you travel to Michigan, at least around Detroit, Kroger has the Blue label Stroh's and the old 1895 receipt in a short bottle, made by Brew Detroit for Stroh's, with the Bohemian label on it. Imagine, walking into a store and having an issue of which Stroh's to buy!

I have called and emailed Stroh's and Pabst numerous times to find it and they are not very helpful. The distributors in the Richmond area can get it they just don't. The distributor that supplies the Chester area is located near Hampton or VA beach. I don't understand how you can get a distributorship for a product and not sell it. I don't understand how a manufacturer gives a product to a distributor and does not pull that product from them if they don't sell it and just give it to one who will. I'm getting a headache thinking about, just wanted to update in case anyone is traveling to those areas. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 08:56 AM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Dumb question: Does it still taste like Stroh's, or is a nameplate slapped on a generic cheapish beer? I ask because to my taste, some beers like Schlitz still taste like the real McCoy, while others like Rolling Rock are the same bottle filled with different beer.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,323 times
The Blue Label taste different from the 1960's and 70's but IMO it taste better than most. The Michigan Bohemian Label is supposed to be closer to the original but it is only available in Michigan, I 've not had the opportunity yet...

Old 08-08-2017, 06:26 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
I did a Wikipedia search. Interesting to read about the beers we grew up with. Sad to see Piel's is gone. That was a favorite growing up in southern CT and southern most NJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh_Brewery_Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piels_Beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area