Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:40 PM

41 posts, read 82,860 times

Advertisements

We are an American Indian family with two young children: 3 and 1. I work from home so as long as I have high speed internet the local job market is not critical (though always a plus to have options in this economy ). We pretty much keep to ourselves and are live and let live kind of folks, but mostly because of our kids we are trying to get a feel for how our family will mesh with the other families in the area.

I've done much research and have narrowed down to a few potential matches: Roanoke area (within 1 hr), Asheville area (definitely not in Asheville, but within an hour); and Pike or Wayne Counties, northeast PA. I have eliminated Ithaca and Syracuse area mostly due to high cost of rent (we will rent a house 1-2 years before we buy @ $100-140K range). Also have eliminated Pittsburg, PA, Cleveland & Cincinnati, Fayettesville (ATL), and Tri-cities.

My husband looks Samoan (is in fact a Long Island (NY) Indian), lots of tattoos and long hair (but is a 100% sober stay at home dad), leans libertarian politically, loves to hunt and be outdoors, and is a meat and gun enthusiast who gets along well with most people. He's lived in Brooklyn, Long Island, Orlando, and now Kentucky (my family is in the Cincinnati, OH & Maysville, KY area and we've been here now a year). He has a lot in common with the "redneck" element (minus certain views on race and religion) and gets on well with them. Ideally he would like to be able to have some chickens in the backyard.

I grew up in Northern Cali and have lived in LA, Orange County, Manhattan (Harlem), Suffolk County, Long Island, and now Maysville, KY. I am mixed and look white; despite having lived in a range of socio-economic circumstances I am well educated and come from an upper-middle class background. I lean liberal on most social issues, though I'm more conservative fiscally. Although, I'm no fan of either major party and not trying to change anyone else's views. I love the outdoors and doing things with my kids. I grew up going to church but I'm not into the fundamentalist Christian thing (particularly not the judge-mentality that seems to accompany it) and if I were to go with my kids (hubby would not) it would probably be a non-denominational or similarly "accepting" family and community oriented type. Or I would just not go and teach my kids about religion at home.

Here's whats most important to us: forested land, mountains or hills, land (1 acre at minimum), low cost of living, privacy, outdoor recreation/parks, hispeed internet access, good to excellent public schools, and amenities of at least one "city" (can be smaller city) within 30-45 minutes, within 45 minutes of quality emergency medical care (specifically cardiology).

These would be pluses: Diversity of some degree (meaning international community more so than just the black/white binary), healthy community (less smoking, less obesity), acceptance of difference, a Native community of some sort within 4-5 hours, within an hour of at least one university, activities, museums, and destinations for kids within driving distance, range of "ethnic" dining options and good food in general within an hour (not into the fast food), and schools that are strong in the arts, math, science, technology, and extracurricular offerings as much as it is in sports. Or as much of any of those as we can get.

So, what do you think; is the Roanoke area a match for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Pack your bags, and get up there as fast as you can. Yes, yes and yes.

Actually we are moving there this month from the Houston area. Houston is definitely more internationally diverse than Roanoke, but Houston is one of the most multi-cultural places around - so to us it seems more white/black - but all in all, you will find enough diversity to feel like you are not in some backwater. You will have some definite choices to make as far as specific location. (We are more "in town" folks and less acreage oriented, so spending some time there and getting some good advice from others will help.) Spending some time there in person will help you get a very good feel for the larger area so that you can see where your heart lies.

Yes, I think you would be a great fit! Read some of the old comments from "seanpecor" - he does not live in the area any more but his posts were very detailed and descriptive - he lived in Franklin County south of Roanoke and he knew the city and outlying areas in great detail - his posts are still very helpful!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 AM

Thank you for weighing in, Watchful! I will look up seanpecor's old posts; appreciate the tip.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
This area/region has a lot to offer. Lower cost of living. Diversity. Medical care.

High speed Internet is what I'm dealing with now. DSL is unreliable and too slow so I'm switching back to Cable Internet. As long as you have Cox or Comcast available, then you will do fine.

Excellent schools are in Botetourt, SW County of Roanoke, and Lynchburg. Check out the Great Schools website.

You can find nice homes with acreage, though, further out.

Use Zillow, Homes, or realtor dot com to search for houses.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
Your post sounds like a good match for Floyd County, VA(about 30 minutes from Roanoke). On hunting, the areas north of here in Botetourt County(Buchanan) is full of hunters, "rednecks" as you say, plenty of outdoors stuff in this region. Look at the Roanoke region as the next Asheville, which is very similar but not yet as discovered as "touristy". As a comparison I saw where Asheville gets over 3 million tourists/yearly, Roanoke is now up to about a million visitors and growing. I know in the future this area will change, some say for the better but who knows? Roanoke City is very accepting of diversity in the area of race, cultural, sexual orientation, etc while the outlying areas have not yet experienced these future realities as the people tend to cling to tradition. The metro area is over 85% caucasian, where Roanoke City is only about 45% now. As you get into the more mountainous/remote areas those areas can really be a cultural awakening. In a nutshell, I expect this region of the state to attract more people in the next 10 years just like the rest of VA, hopefully not in great numbers!

Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
I'm from Suffolk county LI myself....your husband Shinnecock? Only one I could think of, though I tihink theres more.

Is there an American Indian presence here in Roanoke?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I'm from Suffolk county LI myself....your husband Shinnecock? Only one I could think of, though I tihink theres more.

Is there an American Indian presence here in Roanoke?
YES the hubby is Shinnecock! Not many have heard of them. I think Virginia has a bad history as far as Natives.....but then that's been true of most state I've lived in. CA = horrible. OH = not good. I guess they all leave something to be desired in that department

I don't expect there is any special NA "presence" in Roanoke more than most places but then again, anywhere you go in the U.S. there is NA history and usually at least a handful of people scattered about. If in NC and/or VA I would count on driving Cherokee and the NMAI in D.C. for my kids to be around other Natives and attend Native events. Imperfect but it is what it is.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Your post sounds like a good match for Floyd County, VA(about 30 minutes from Roanoke). On hunting, the areas north of here in Botetourt County(Buchanan) is full of hunters, "rednecks" as you say, plenty of outdoors stuff in this region. Look at the Roanoke region as the next Asheville, which is very similar but not yet as discovered as "touristy". As a comparison I saw where Asheville gets over 3 million tourists/yearly, Roanoke is now up to about a million visitors and growing. I know in the future this area will change, some say for the better but who knows? Roanoke City is very accepting of diversity in the area of race, cultural, sexual orientation, etc while the outlying areas have not yet experienced these future realities as the people tend to cling to tradition. The metro area is over 85% caucasian, where Roanoke City is only about 45% now. As you get into the more mountainous/remote areas those areas can really be a cultural awakening. In a nutshell, I expect this region of the state to attract more people in the next 10 years just like the rest of VA, hopefully not in great numbers!
I will check out Floyd and Botetourt. I think part of Roanoke's appeal is that it's not become as trendy as Asheville, along with the rising costs and population increases. I don't think I'd want to live in Asheville proper at all.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
The latest issue (perhaps viewable online depending on how things shake out) compares Roanoke and Asheville!
Roanoke Business Magazine

Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
The latest issue (perhaps viewable online depending on how things shake out) compares Roanoke and Asheville!
Roanoke Business Magazine
THanks for the tip on the article, Watchful! I wanted to add that when I posted this query to the NC/Asheville forum, someone suggested Winston-Salem as an alternate, potential "happy medium" with access to both Roanoke and Western NC mountains. I'd not looked at the area before, but on paper it does seem like potentially a better NC choice for us than Asheville outskirts.

So any additional thoughts on Winston-Salem *area* (not specifically city proper) versus Roanoke *area* would be welcome. I'm reading cost of housing and utilities and public universities may tend to be cheaper in NC, but healthcare, groceries, gasoline, other expenses a bit cheaper in Roanoke (I won't say VA for fear of getting into the NoVA tangent; totally different area). For anyone who knows, does that sound about right? Any thoughts on how substantial the cost differential is? I wonder if it comes out more or less the same when all is said and done. (Besides, healthcare costs are in for a world of change next year anyway, almost pointless to speculate at this point).

Also, if anyone reading feels able to speak to first time homebuyer programs VA vs. NC please weigh in. I keep reading that NC is one of the best states for these programs, and I don't see as many programs on the VA side, but it seems like FHA loans with the lower interest rates hold in both areas (?) so perhaps the main difference is just the no-down payment mortgage options in NC....which I think would not be necessary for us and unsure whether there would be benefit to taking advantage of if given the option...

We will definitely be visiting the area to get a better feel for things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area