Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 02:57 PM

111 posts, read 98,661 times

Advertisements

Thanks TNLily, mine wouldn’t be a service animal going to public places with me. They would be an emotional support animal, I have 3 medical issues so I’m not too worried about them being considered fraudulent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 PM

TNLily, I read that document you sent me and have saved it for future use. Thank you very much!!!!

Old 05-21-2018, 03:59 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,221,585 times
You are welcome. I hope everything goes smoothly for you in your search and move.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
I'll add a bit more. I wanted to move to Bristol, VA or Abingdon. Children objected about us being so far away. And our youngest attends a college about an hour north of Roanoke. Our cost of living would have been less in Abingdon/Bristol. Our real estate taxes would be about half, personal property taxes on vehicles would be less, Abingdon has a lovely gym/rec center that would be a lot less than our YMCA monthly dues that my husband insists on having despite him rarely going there. What we spent on a house in Roanoke would have gotten us a nicer home there.
Abingdon is a pricey small town. There is quite a bit of money sloshing around there. I have a hard time believing Roanoke would be more expensive than Abingdon.

The city of Bristol is having fiscal issues stemming from putting taxpayers on the hook for a retail development that essentially failed.

OP, if dog friendliness is the biggest driver, I'd look into places that would be the least restrictive regarding the dogs, then adjust other priorities to meet that.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:09 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,221,585 times
The Realtor we dealt with briefly still sends me listings. Not every home in Abingdon is paid for with coal money. She has sent us some homes lately that cost w/$10K of what we paid that are newer, larger and based on photos much nicer than the house we bought. The real estate taxes shown are about 2/3 of what we are paying.

I realize photos are not fool proof. My experience has been that a good photographer can make a house look better than it is in person. That was true of all the homes we looked at. But there's no doubt in my mind but that we would have gotten a better home in Bristol VA or Abingdon with our meager house budget.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:26 AM

SC, thank you! Yes, that has been my main focus: areas that are least restrictive for our dogs and have my husbands employment available. My work goes with me anywhere, so I’m lucky in that aspect. I’ve recently been told given my medical situation that my dogs would qualify to be my ESA dogs, which may help given my situation. I’m trying very hard to network or find out additional information on his employment/ pay rate in different areas, but it is proving very difficult even going through his HR department ☹️☹️☹️

Old 05-24-2018, 11:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Just note that SC 31-21 (same as feds) does not apply to single family housing. This means that owners/landlords are not required to provide a reasonable accommodation under the FHA or SC 31-21 for an Assistance Animal. If looking at single family or duplexes, make sure they will accept the animal as they may not be required to do so.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:25 AM

RA, thank you for this information, I was not aware!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:29 AM

19 posts, read 37,358 times
You were misinformed when someone told you that outside of Lebanon in Russell County, VA they have no municipal water, sewer, or cable. My in-laws have lived in Castlewood and Russell County for the last 80 years and they had cable in the 1970's, plus municipal water and sewer. The same is true for many of the little towns that dot that county. Mainly because back then coal miners made very good wages for the area, so lots of things that bigger cities had moved to the area because the population could and did pay for it. Cell service can be spotty in areas. Not because they don't have it, but because the terrain is hilly, so if you dip down in a valley, the hill prevents good signal. You will find that anywhere around the area, outside of the more populated areas. It is getting better. If you are looking for a home with a little more property, Russell County has it, and with a smaller price than neighboring Washington County. Abingdon will be more expensive than the rest of the county for housing. If you want to live closer to town, there are nice houses in Bristol, VA for $150k.

The city of Bristol, VA is rebuilding from poor financial decisions made by a previous city council. All of these people are now gone and a new city manager is moving forward. We have a thriving downtown, where businesses are doing well and expanding. A new hotel will be open soon. We have lots of music downtown, plus one of the largest music festivals in the country, Rhythm & Roots. Nightlife...well, that depends on what you consider nightlife. Most of the clubs are in Johnson City, on the TN side. Couple of bars in downtown Bristol.

Bristol, VA has a sales tax of 5.3%. Bristol, TN sales tax is 9.5% (I think, it may be 9.75% now). Meals tax is higher on the VA side, at 12.3%, which is sales tax plus a 7% city tax on prepared food.

Here is the kicker for you: We do not have BSL in this part of VA...yet. TN has some towns that are enacting these laws, especially against pit bulls or pit bull mixes. You will find a hard time renting in the Bristol/Abingdon, VA area with any dog. Landlords here are usually not pet friendly. Many people have a hard time finding decent rentals that allow any pet. The area is pet friendly, but the rental housing market is not.

Last edited by bmatda; 07-23-2018 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area