Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:40 PM

65 posts, read 66,104 times

Advertisements

I agree on the housing situation in Roanoke. As a retired guy I would like to sell my home and move into a downtown condo.
There are a lot of older buildings which are very nice but I would prefer a mid rise building with mountain views, preferably new construction. I hope some new structures are built in the near future, even patio homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:27 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
The central cores of Roanoke are not slated in anyway for any senior anything according to their development plans (notice Roanoke doesn't even have city senior services anymore). The cores are aimed at younger people to support growing businesses and add vitality to the city. Roanoke wants their downtown to resemble that of E Main in Charlottesville. Just look at the conversion projects and newer projects (like South Sixteen) and you'll see who they are aiming the base to support.

Although older retiring groups have the money to buy into housing, they don't spend as much on community businesses like younger people do. Additionally, Roanoke wants to extend the business flair into the night as it created more forwards progressive feeling; something you can't accomplish with a population that throws a fit if their 90 day supply of Allopurinol goes from $4 copay to $4.50. So, downtown is for the young and the outskirts for the old.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:58 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The central cores of Roanoke are not slated in anyway for any senior anything according to their development plans (notice Roanoke doesn't even have city senior services anymore). The cores are aimed at younger people to support growing businesses and add vitality to the city. Roanoke wants their downtown to resemble that of E Main in Charlottesville. Just look at the conversion projects and newer projects (like South Sixteen) and you'll see who they are aiming the base to support.

Although older retiring groups have the money to buy into housing, they don't spend as much on community businesses like younger people do. Additionally, Roanoke wants to extend the business flair into the night as it created more forwards progressive feeling; something you can't accomplish with a population that throws a fit if their 90 day supply of Allopurinol goes from $4 copay to $4.50. So, downtown is for the young and the outskirts for the old.
The SIZE of the downtown units was the issue for me. If we were SMART we could downscale to fit into them, but we aren't that smart! it's the stuff! The stuff!

The other issue for downtown housing is that the apartments are much more affordable (and numerous) than the condos.

EXAMPLE - there is a 1,770 sq. ft. condo downtown that lists for $434,800. You can get a 1,961 sq. ft. condo on Broadway (not far from Roanoke Memorial Hospital) for $242,750.

One of the big reasons for this price difference between condos and apartments is that the financial model for rehabbing historic buildings includes significant tax credits - BUT those tax credits are dependent upon offering the buildings as rental housing - NOT as units for sale.

The best options for senior living in the city (IMHO) are the condos in the Crystal Spring/Broadway area. I would love to see more options for senior-friendly "single family homes" in some of the walkable neighborhoods. That is a big fail for Roanoke.

The long-range plans for redeveloping Tanglewood could make it happen - but that could take a while.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
something you can't accomplish with a population that throws a fit if their 90 day supply of Allopurinol goes from $4 copay to $4.50.
Now that did make me laugh Rabrrita!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:00 AM

65 posts, read 66,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Now that did make me laugh Rabrrita!
So funny, Rabritta you are a comedian!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:04 AM

6,364 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Rabrrita is correct, the initial planning scheme is to attract younger people to the City area since it will spark growth they will have an income stream from work, spend money locally and use the downtown amenities.

It is only after significant growth (maybe) that you will hear about any plans to construct affordable senior housing or clustered housing in walkable areas. In almost all cities or areas throughout the US, any residential units or home with sidewalks in walking distance to amenities, will be priced at a premium. This sort of housing with in walk to town location would obviously be very expensive and out of reach for most retirees. Supply and demand will always dictate the price.

I have seen housing developments that have reduced taxes since the requirement to purchase is that you must be over 55 years of age and can have one child living with you over the age of 18. ( they have negotiated this with the municipality since it does not add to the school population ) These developments also have regular shuttle services to the nearby town for shopping or medical services. It’s a great concept, but again, it’s only affordable to a small percentage of people.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 AM

Maybe I am off base Rickcin but it seems to me that there are some live options all over the metro area for low-cost senior housing.

Beyond that, most moderate income homeowners could probably do pretty well to relocate to any conventional apartment with elevator service and have a very affordable lifestyle. Most of the ones I am familiar with simply want to stay in their existing house regardless of whether it makes any practical sense or not. And they still think their kids and grandkids will want their stuff one day LOL!

I would think there might be a bigger market for senior-friendly housing for those who in a little better circumstances. The folks I am thinking of are like baby boomers planning for down the road - especially for those who are relocating here from elsewhere. I have always been a very moderate-income person and we have never owned a home due to living in church-provided housing our entire lives - so we have never built any equity at all - however, due to a generous retirement provision, we were easily able to swing a new home purchase for our place to retire.

But I do agree the fixed-income homeowners who currently live here would not be the target market for a more upscale senior friendly area.

(There are some patio homes in developments in Roanoke County that would be fine for those relocating out of their own homes and no longer wanting to keep up with yard work and the like - however they are not in walkable neighborhoods - not at all.)

Old 07-31-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I would love to see more options for senior-friendly "single family homes" in some of the walkable neighborhoods. That is a big fail for Roanoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
It is only after significant growth (maybe) that you will hear about any plans to construct affordable senior housing or clustered housing in walkable areas. In almost all cities or areas throughout the US, any residential units or home with sidewalks in walking distance to amenities, will be priced at a premium. This sort of housing with in walk to town location would obviously be very expensive and out of reach for most retirees.
And that is one of Roanoke's biggest failures. It's a failure not only for the older population, but now more and more younger people are also looking for walkability in their community.

What makes this so sad is if you look back over the years in Community Planning studies and plans, sidewalks is on almost every communities' priority list. There are actually many suitable condominium or patio home communities that are affordable and well suited for an aging population or for those who want to age in place. But, to get from those communities to a store, coffee shop, and even a bus stop takes a feat of courage and agility due to the lack of sidewalks.

You can see this when you look at the current state of Tangelwood Mall and their redevelopment plans. Despite a growing number of residential multi-family communities surrounding that area, getting from where a person lives to where they could shop or otherwise engage activity is problematic as they have to walk in the streets or on grass curbs. This repeats itself all over Roanoke and surrounding area. Residential communities can be located close to a bus stop or shopping but you have to stand or walk through ditches to get to a bus stop or grab a cup of coffee. Sadly, spending massive money to decorate the streetscape roadways in downtown seems more a priority than connecting residential to their nearby business community.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:50 AM

6,364 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
Maybe I am off base Rickcin but it seems to me that there are some live options all over the metro area for low-cost senior housing.

Beyond that, most moderate income homeowners could probably do pretty well to relocate to any conventional apartment with elevator service and have a very affordable lifestyle. Most of the ones I am familiar with simply want to stay in their existing house regardless of whether it makes any practical sense or not. And they still think their kids and grandkids will want their stuff one day LOL!

I would think there might be a bigger market for senior-friendly housing for those who in a little better circumstances. The folks I am thinking of are like baby boomers planning for down the road - especially for those who are relocating here from elsewhere. I have always been a very moderate-income person and we have never owned a home due to living in church-provided housing our entire lives - so we have never built any equity at all - however, due to a generous retirement provision, we were easily able to swing a new home purchase for our place to retire.

But I do agree the fixed-income homeowners who currently live here would not be the target market for a more upscale senior friendly area.

(There are some patio homes in developments in Roanoke County that would be fine for those relocating out of their own homes and no longer wanting to keep up with yard work and the like - however they are not in walkable neighborhoods - not at all.)
You, off base, we know that could never happen!

A building with elevator service in a walk to area would be best for many older folk, but like you’ve mentioned, they have lots of stuff and there are many other reasons as well. A house offers a sense of ownership and equity which they would feel uncomfortable with giving up or changing. Renting would be a scary thought to those who have always owned a home or paying common charges for a condo and losing the tax deduction on a single family home. There are many reasons people want to stay in their home and vent when it becomes very impractical. I’m sure there are many other factors but many people resist change and are comfortable with the routine they know especially if it’s been unchanged for many years.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
A house offers a sense of ownership and equity which they would feel uncomfortable with giving up or changing.
I think more developments like Lake Spring Village in Salem (Main & Maple Streets) would be what is desperately needed especially because of its proximity to downtown Salem and all the amenities. Duplicate this in walkable or a walkable designed new developed areas and you'll have a winner. Since Lake Spring was more an infill, it could be doable in many existing areas. Actually this is what Daleville Town Center is aiming for if they can attract enough viable businesses to support the community. Unfortunately Daleville still is out there with no transportation option but driving oneself. I think the over reliance on private automobiles to get where you want has been pushed aside by younger and older who would rather walk, bike or have transit options without the fear of being squished on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area