Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,620,600 times

Advertisements

My mom and sister will be visiting me next week for a few days. I am unsure at the moment if my 2 nephews will be comming too (ages 5 and 6). Either way I would like to make the best of their time here since they very rarely get to come visit me. Any ideas of dinner places to take them? I have been here almost 2 years but I know there are still hidden secrets out there. My sister is vegitarian so I was thinking about that indian resturant beside K-mart but a small local place would be great too. Any ideas on where to take them to get a good view of the mountains besides the mill mountain star? Any other suggestions would be great. I really want to show them some of the greatest things my town has to offer. Thanks guys (and gals)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,787,327 times
Well..hmm..lets see:
-Taubman Art Museum (I've actually never been there...but I would like to go). Perhaps depending on your family, actually going TO the museum would not be necessary, but if its a nice warm weekend, a walk around downtown would be nice, around the market area, possibly stop for some coffee or a smoothy somewhere.
-Not sure which indian restaurant you're talking about, but I would try Swagat Indian Cuisine, 303 1st St SW. Never been there but I've heard some pretty positive things about it.
-There's also Tong's Thai Restaurant at 19 Salem Ave SE, and Eden's Way Vegetarian Garden at 106 Church Ave SE. I would assume Eden's Way might not be the best choice, considering the rest of your family is not vegetarian..but always an option.
-As far as viewing the scenery, the Star is, of course, a good point, but if thats not an option maybe a short drive along the BlueRidge Parkway/Skyline Drive would be cool. Haven't been there in a while, but if memory serves me correctly there are little stop-off areas along the drive where you can get a good view of the scenery. I would kind of scout the area a bit before I took the family, though, just so you're not up there driving blindly with no direction when they get here.

Im sure the other members of this forum will be able to help you out a lot better than I could....

Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 PM

567 posts, read 2,142,345 times
for Indian, I like Nawab on Campbell Ave. Some people like Taaza as well (that's the one near KMart).

I was going to suggest The Homeplace, but perhaps not for a vegetarian. One of the better places I know for a vegetarian (and for anybody, really) is Wildflour (4th St. downtown I think). They have yummy stuff and good meatless options too.

Definitely the star. My family enjoyed Fork in the Alley, then we went up to the Star.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM

246 posts, read 782,669 times
I would check out the Happy Belly Deli at the Roanoke Co-op on Grandin for vegetarian options (and real food ), or Local Roots Cafe, also on Grandin.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM

192 posts, read 631,763 times
Have you visited the Peaks of Otter - fantastic drive with UNBELIEVABLE views on the way (this trip is one that will always be remembered)and an amazing -and I mean amazing restaurant. I vegie should be fine with the food they offer, it's PLENTIFUL and delicious and quite a spread!( I agree with Wildflour - wish I could remember the eggplant sandwhich I order - oh well, it's GREAT!!One great thing about Wildfour is the atmosphere, which Happy Belly Deli (unfortunately) lacks. Have fun!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:36 PM

219 posts, read 878,271 times
I'll second Fork in the Alley, best pizza I've had around here so far...mmmm....

Or Wasabi's for some excellent sushi or japanese dishes (some vegi)

Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 PM

696 posts, read 1,430,047 times
Mmmmm, Nawab as others have said. I like it much better than Taaza.

Also downtown, the kebab place in the Market building food court has a great veggie platter with falafel & stuffed grape leaves & all that good stuff. There's pizza & burgers in the food court too, if the kids are there & don't eat good food =)

Alejandro's is my favorite place downtown, all those fresh salsas, an icy cold beer, casual and comfortable. The vegetarian burrito is not on the menu but she can just ask for it, it's sooooooo good! (Good for two meals too, the burritos are huge!)

Wildflour is also at Towers, so if you find yourself there for some reason ... those quirky shops inside are good for a rainy afternoon.

540-804 I wasn't aware of Eden's Way, I will check that out!

If the kids come, definitely go to the science museum.

Have a great visit!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:24 PM

567 posts, read 2,142,345 times
The kebab place is called Zorba's.

Now that I think about it, The Isaacs near the Grandin Theatre is a Mediterranean restaurant and is very good! They would probably have many vegetarian options. They recently expanded, renovated and reopened. I haven't been there to check it out yet!

Old 02-14-2009, 06:58 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,928 times
If you decide to do the Peaks of Otter just make sure the parkway is open. It is closed right now on our end.(lexington) but is nearly always open around the Buchanan area.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 AM

179 posts, read 486,666 times
Teebyrd86:
With young boys along, I can't think of a better place to take them then over in Lexington, VA, to view Virginia Military Institute. Check to see when the parade of cadets is taking place, they'll love it, as will everyone that views it.
There are canons on-ground, cadets in uniform, great little downtown within walking distance with some very good restaurants, and other historical sites surrounding the school. Lexington is a beautiful place to visit and surrounded by Big and Little Top Mountains. Give it a try. (Our son attended VMI and we just fell in love with it). Hope you enjoy whatever you plan ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area