Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 PM
jm5 jm5 started this thread

6 posts, read 10,544 times

Advertisements

Hi again,
Everyone has been so helpful and knowledgable anytime I have had a question. So, thanks so much for that!!!

Another question....
We are moving from the suburbs of Minneapolis to Rocky Mount at the end of this month. We are sooooo excited! I called and talked to someone at the school where my son will be attending next year. The man said that Franklin County schools are in the top 5 in the state of VA - very reassuring. He also said that they (in Rocky Mount) are about 30 years behind the times, but as far as medical and education, they are cutting edge. That's great for us because our lives revolve around our kids and I will be working at Carilion in Roanoke. But....we have tatoos and piercings...will we stick out like a sore thumb cuz Rocky Mount is about "30 years behind the times" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm5 View Post
Hi again,
Everyone has been so helpful and knowledgable anytime I have had a question. So, thanks so much for that!!!

Another question....
We are moving from the suburbs of Minneapolis to Rocky Mount at the end of this month. We are sooooo excited! I called and talked to someone at the school where my son will be attending next year. The man said that Franklin County schools are in the top 5 in the state of VA - very reassuring. He also said that they (in Rocky Mount) are about 30 years behind the times, but as far as medical and education, they are cutting edge. That's great for us because our lives revolve around our kids and I will be working at Carilion in Roanoke. But....we have tatoos and piercings...will we stick out like a sore thumb cuz Rocky Mount is about "30 years behind the times" ?
why Rocky Mount? If it's a school thing, I'd say save yourself what will likely soon become an oppressive daily drive and just move to Roanoke. If you are closely involved with your kids' lives and education, they will do just as well in Roanoke as in Rocky Mount. Roanoke schools are generally good. And every other person in Roanoke seems to be tattooed and pierced!
Rocky Mount is waaaaaay behind the times with a huge redneck factor. We moved out of there after renting for a little over a year, and bought in Roanoke. The cost difference is negligible. The Roanoke schools are just fine. Roanoke has a lot more going for it...especially as far as convenient activities. All kinds of family-friendly events and festivals, etc.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,301 times
I agree with J1n.. save yourself the daily drive and move closer to Roanoke. I think you would fit in much better here and overall enjoy the way of life here much better. Rocky Mount is nice but I definatly couldnt see myself living there. The guy at the school was right they are way behind times.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM

246 posts, read 782,472 times
Given that the best schools in the state are in northern Virginia, how do Franklin County schools rate a "top 5"? And what does that mean--SOL scores, graduation rate...

Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blood-suwoop View Post
rocky mount schools are all filled with gangs, thugs, and etc.! if you dont want your child involved with violence and other things dont send them to rocky mount high, nash central high, parker middle, nash central middle, or edwards middle. the best schools in the district are northern nash high, red oak middle, southern high, and southern middle. these schools have least violence and are NOT filled with inner-city kids.
Inner-city kids in Franklin County!!??

Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Quote:
rocky mount schools are all filled with gangs, thugs, and etc.! if you dont want your child involved with violence and other things dont send them to rocky mount high, nash central high, parker middle, nash central middle, or edwards middle. the best schools in the district are northern nash high, red oak middle, southern high, and southern middle. these schools have least violence and are NOT filled with inner-city kids.
I think you are referring to Rocky Mount NC - original poster was inquiring about Rocky Mount VA!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,032 times
LOL!

And you know what is most ironic about that post? The poster complains of gangs,thugs, and inner-city kids yet his screen name references a widely-known gang (the Bloods) and one of their gang 'calls' ("suwoop"). Simply incredible. LOL

Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,523 times
Quote:
kuz i am a original gangsta. An i believe things have jus got out of hand. Especially in rocky mount nc. But yea thats me an if u got a problem with it 540_804 come see me *****
:d

Old 08-01-2009, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 15,190 times
Im laughing so hard lol

Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 AM

29 posts, read 82,991 times
Well, gang-related stuff aside.... if you are looking for a small town that you won't stick out in, check out Floyd, VA. Close to Roanoke and Blacksburg, so not far from large-city stores, but small enough that it's still "small town". Floyd is quickly gaining popularity as an artist's community as well, so being without a tattoo and/or piercing may be the way to go against the norm before too long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area