Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,821 times

Advertisements

This conversation was started on a previous thread, and has me very curious since we are thinking of relocating to Rochester and both of these suburbs are at the top of our list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Short answer? Yes.

Are most wealthier people snobbish though and have an overwhelming feeling of entitlement? Yes.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Short answer? Yes.

Are most wealthier people snobbish though and have an overwhelming feeling of entitlement? Yes.
Do people in these suburbs actually treat others badly?

It's true that wealthier people can be snobby and entitled, but in some cities you don't see this very much. One example is Austin. You could see someone driving a shabby 1980-something Honda looking completely ordinary and they might be a millionaire. It is just a very laid back, unpretentious, down-to-earth city - generally speaking.

We were mainly interested in Pittsford and Fairport because of the schools, but it would be a struggle to tolerate that kind of atmosphere, and to have our kids growing up in that kind of an atmosphere, if it's really as bad as people are making it sound.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM

11 posts, read 28,581 times
I have lived in Rochester for 14 years. In Pittsford for a short time, in Brighton about 8 years, and now in Fairport for just about four years. There are snobby people everywhere. But certainly don't let that stop you from pursuing these towns. I always think of Pittsford as being more likely to have folks like this because it's probably the wealthiest area. But even there nice people abound.

I can't say enough about Fairport. We are actually going to be leaving the area to relocate to Chicago. I am excited for that opportunity but will miss Fairport and Perinton tremendously. Great schools, a really tight community, good sports, parks, quaint village, easy access to shopping. I haven't had any problem with snobby folks or any air of superiority here. Nor have my kids. It's a great community to raise a family.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood14618 View Post
I have lived in Rochester for 14 years. In Pittsford for a short time, in Brighton about 8 years, and now in Fairport for just about four years. There are snobby people everywhere. But certainly don't let that stop you from pursuing these towns. I always think of Pittsford as being more likely to have folks like this because it's probably the wealthiest area. But even there nice people abound.

I can't say enough about Fairport. We are actually going to be leaving the area to relocate to Chicago. I am excited for that opportunity but will miss Fairport and Perinton tremendously. Great schools, a really tight community, good sports, parks, quaint village, easy access to shopping. I haven't had any problem with snobby folks or any air of superiority here. Nor have my kids. It's a great community to raise a family.
Thanks sherwood! The area is beautiful and has so much to offer, and I was beginning to feel bummed thinking that the people may not be so great. You give me some optimism!!! Best wishes on your new chapter in Chicago .

Old 08-09-2010, 01:14 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
short answer, no. Sure there are some snobs, but they make up the minority but can be very vocal. Most people are relaxed and just want to go about their day.
You'll see soccer moms in BMWs trying to keep up with the Jones, but you'll also see rich people in honda civics driving around.
Keep in mind that the east side suburbs developed later than other areas, and this is what seems to attract transplants with families. Having went to high school in the east side suburbs and having most of my friends from the towns mentioned, a good chunk of these people don't have roots in the Rochester area, so they are less likely to behave snobbish.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
short answer, no. Sure there are some snobs, but they make up the minority but can be very vocal. Most people are relaxed and just want to go about their day.
You'll see soccer moms in BMWs trying to keep up with the Jones, but you'll also see rich people in honda civics driving around.
Keep in mind that the east side suburbs developed later than other areas, and this is what seems to attract transplants with families. Having went to high school in the east side suburbs and having most of my friends from the towns mentioned, a good chunk of these people don't have roots in the Rochester area, so they are less likely to behave snobbish.
What you said makes sense Garmin. There will always be a few who behave unbecomingly and unfortunately that can give an entire population a bad reputation. Thanks for your input .

Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
It also depends on street to street. You'll have a street in a development where the neighbors have block parties.... Then go one street over and everybody keeps to themselves and is suspicious of others.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
It also depends on street to street. You'll have a street in a development where the neighbors have block parties.... Then go one street over and everybody keeps to themselves and is suspicious of others.
Interesting... It's too bad there's not a good way for a newcomer to know what kind of street they're buying a house on ahead of time. I guess if we're lucky our realtor will be extremely familiar with the area!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:45 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Interesting... It's too bad there's not a good way for a newcomer to know what kind of street they're buying a house on ahead of time. I guess if we're lucky our realtor will be extremely familiar with the area!

I agree! we have relocated 5x for my husband's positions for work. It would be nice if we would have known on a few times what the street was like,the neighbors,etc....
In my experience(s), there are people everywhere , no matter the social stature of the area or the finances or lack of, there are snotty, know it-alls everywhere!
I am from Webster,grew up there. I have to say, the neighborhood I grew up in was horrible. We know very few people from there,a few close neighbors and that is all. For some reason, it seemed that one side of the street was "against" the other side, the neighbors barely acknowledged eachother. I have always thought that was terrible. My parents tried and eventually gave up.
I really do think it just depends on certain areas and the people themselves.

Good Luck in your move to the Rochester area though! we have been trying to get back for years and can't find anything as far as job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area