Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,103,276 times

Advertisements

Rochester, home of Wegman's will be getting the first Trader Joe's market in upstate, to be located near Wegman's flagship store in Pittsford Plaza according to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

Trader Joe's to open in Pittsford Plaza | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,593 times
Boy this will make it tough. I'm about 90 miles from Rochester but I do go to Fairport from time to time.

TJ's is the best!!!! When ever I travel I hit TJ's and stock up. Even like the story said packing my suitcases when flying.

Now Rochester has two stores I can't live without, TJ's and Woodcraft. Better start saving my pennies for Thruway tolls.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:46 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,103,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Boy this will make it tough. I'm about 90 miles from Rochester but I do go to Fairport from time to time.

TJ's is the best!!!! When ever I travel I hit TJ's and stock up. Even like the story said packing my suitcases when flying.

Now Rochester has two stores I can't live without, TJ's and Woodcraft. Better start saving my pennies for Thruway tolls.

Sean, you're welcome to visit Rochester as often as you like. Reading the thread on this story, someone who used to work there predict's 5 Rochester area stores in the next few years. Fairport seams like TJ's ideal demographics. I believe 5 stores could easily be supported in Rochester. I would think they might expand to Buffalo and Syracuse by then.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,327,364 times
Still can't compete with Wegmans. That's both my opinion and a fact.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:05 AM

205 posts, read 456,697 times
I don't know. I LOVE Trader Joes from my 15 years in DC... They have a certain style that Wegmans does not.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
I don't know. I LOVE Trader Joes from my 15 years in DC... They have a certain style that Wegmans does not.
Which is? If this is the case, I'm expecting a TJ's in the Eastern suburbs of Syracuse, in the Amherst/Williamsville/Clarence area of Buffalo and in either Niskayuna or in the North Colonie area(Latham, Loudonville, etc.) of Albany-Schenectady-Troy pretty soon. All of those areas are similar in demographics economically. Perhaps even Ithaca, New Hartford or Vestal too.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 AM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Still can't compete with Wegmans. That's both my opinion and a fact.
Have you ever been inside of a Trader Joe's? TJ's is a totally different store. You can get SO much at Trader Joe's that you can't at Wegmans. I don't even think there is a comparison.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 AM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Which is? If this is the case, I'm expecting a TJ's in the Eastern suburbs of Syracuse, in the Amherst/Williamsville/Clarence area of Buffalo and in either Niskayuna or in the North Colonie area(Latham, Loudonville, etc.) of Albany-Schenectady-Troy pretty soon. All of those areas are similar in demographics economically. Perhaps even Ithaca, New Hartford or Vestal too.
Rochester opens the door for the upstate...I could see one near Chipotle on 5 in Dewitt. Could definitely see one in Albany eventually. Don't think Ithaca is a big enough market for this // doesn't have a high enough concentration of wealth.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,593 times
Wegmans and TJ's I don't really see as direct competitors. Wegmans direct competition would be Walmart and Price Chopper and so on. Trader Joe's doesn't really have any competition on a national level I have ever heard of.

Wegmans is a roll of crapper paper, some Hot Pockets, a tube of toofpaste and a pound of hamburger place.

TJ's sells more high end type stuff at great prices. Its for people who like good stuff but aren't snobs about brand name. If I had a TJ's handy I would do most of my shopping there but would still need to stop at Wegmans or Walmart every so often. A perfect match would be a Sams Club and a TJ's close to each other.

One area that could heat up is Madd Dog 20/20 is made in Rochester. If NYS lets grocery stores sell wine Wegmans could pit MD against Two-Buck Chuck!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Wegmans and TJ's I don't really see as direct competitors. Wegmans direct competition would be Walmart and Price Chopper and so on. Trader Joe's doesn't really have any competition on a national level I have ever heard of.

Wegmans is a roll of crapper paper, some Hot Pockets, a tube of toofpaste and a pound of hamburger place.

TJ's sells more high end type stuff at great prices. Its for people who like good stuff but aren't snobs about brand name. If I had a TJ's handy I would do most of my shopping there but would still need to stop at Wegmans or Walmart every so often. A perfect match would be a Sams Club and a TJ's close to each other.

One area that could heat up is Madd Dog 20/20 is made in Rochester. If NYS lets grocery stores sell wine Wegmans could pit MD against Two-Buck Chuck!!!
Yea, I don't really see Trader Joes as competition for Wegmans. There is room for both and they will do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area