Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM

150 posts, read 393,233 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be a new graduate RN this summer and she is considering relocating to Rochester, (we have family there.) How is the job market for RN's there, and a new grad at that? We lived in Rochester almost 20 years ago, and I worked as an RN in the ICU at Strong Memorial Hospital, and even then jobs were scarce. I imagine that in this economy it is probably worse? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Actually, Health Care is probably one of the better industries in the area and in Upstate NY in general. This should help in terms of what is available in the area: New York State Hospital Profile

Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 PM

350 posts, read 1,091,305 times
Nursing jobs are, and have always been plentiful in Rochester. You'll have no problem finding a nursing job, although it may be tighter in some of the more desirable nursing specialty areas - you may have to start out in a basic nursing position and transfer when something more desirable opens up.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Do they hire new grads? I think what I remember was the ARNP's had a long wait to get a position in that there are so many schools of nursing in the area. I wonder too if they are doing the magnet thing, like here in Tampa, and are trying to hire only BSN's? She will be an AS. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 PM

You may have to start out doing general floor work and covering nights -typically the lesser desirable positions, so new grads have a better chance - but you'll get great experience and get your foot in the door. When I started out in nursing I did day-night rotations on a general Med-Surg floor. It was tough and not one of my "favorite" jobs, but it got me in the door and the experience provided a good foundation for other opportunities.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Yes, I told her to expect that, but how many positions are available? We have hiring freezes down here, people being offered fulltime benefits if they temporarily go down to part time work, etc. In Florida during the winter, no less. They are using travelers in other parts of the state, but not in Tampa at all, the census is down because people do not have the money to be "snow birds," and basically no money to go to the doctor. I was shocked when she applied for her RN program, (she did the LPN first because we thought it would be easier to get accepted, then did a semester of pre-reqs and applied for the RN transition program.) We assumed the program would be competitive, especially because of the economy, but actually they extended the registration period due to a shortage of applicants?? My guess is that people are working so hard, they do not have the money or time to go to school and do the pre-reqs, etc. Then when they get out of school here, there are not a lot of jobs. The pay is horrible and the benefits have all been cut to bare bones: no major medical, no education budget, forget relocation allowances, they are long gone, etc. Now some of the hospitals are telling the nurses they must have a BSN to get hired, and the current nurses have X amount of time to get one. This is all for the certification de joure called "magnet" as if patients actually know or care what that is...Just wondering what the market and employment packages are like there. Thanks

Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Take a look at the websites for the various hospitals - that will give you an idea. She can also speak to the Nurse Recruiter at those places in an information interview - Just be sure that if you ask for an information interview you don't try to turn it into a job interview. I will be honest about the Associates Degree though - that may hold her back as the first preference will go to persons with a 4 year degree. That is why she'll have to be ready to take the least desirable jobs with the worst hours to get started - nights and weekends - and plan to work on her BS degree as soon as possible.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Yes, the BSN is a reality. I have a BA and was almost finished with my MA in the social sciences when they decided "I didn't need that knowledge to be a bedside nurse," and refused to continue to give me tuition reimbursement. Yeah, I guess cultural and political awareness and activism is irrelevant, except the ANA social position statement calls for exactly that... My manager with an AS in nursing but a BS and MBA had to go back to get her BSN. All this for less money and benefits. It's the new America.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:05 PM

That's not just particular to nursing - a Bachelors is generally considered an "entry-level" degree these days in most professional fields.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:53 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
Yes, the BSN is a reality. I have a BA and was almost finished with my MA in the social sciences when they decided "I didn't need that knowledge to be a bedside nurse," and refused to continue to give me tuition reimbursement. Yeah, I guess cultural and political awareness and activism is irrelevant, except the ANA social position statement calls for exactly that... My manager with an AS in nursing but a BS and MBA had to go back to get her BSN. All this for less money and benefits. It's the new America.
That's why it is important to unionize in the workplace! We are the 99%, remember?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area