Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,854 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving our family to the Syracuse, NY or Rochester, NY area. I am finishing up college here in CA and will have my teaching credential in Elementary Education. What is the teaching environment like for jobs in your area? Any clues or hints where to start networking? I can not find a salary schedule for any of the school districts. Where can I find the pay scale in your area for teachers? How is your budget shortfall doing? Our economy is really bad here in CA. I need somewhere to start new with our family with the hope and prospect for jobs. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,752 times
It's pretty hard to get a teaching job in Upstate NY... good luck!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacheratheart View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving our family to the Syracuse, NY or Rochester, NY area. I am finishing up college here in CA and will have my teaching credential in Elementary Education. What is the teaching environment like for jobs in your area? Any clues or hints where to start networking? I can not find a salary schedule for any of the school districts. Where can I find the pay scale in your area for teachers? How is your budget shortfall doing? Our economy is really bad here in CA. I need somewhere to start new with our family with the hope and prospect for jobs. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!
I agree that it is very difficult to get a job teaching in Rochester...especially if you are not from around here. There are a lot of teaching colleges around here that produce a surplus of students, many of whom end up moving to growing places like the Carolinas and Arizona.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:39 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
I have a teaching cert and most of teaching friends who are going back after having kids are finding it tough. My cousin just graduated a year ago with amazing grades, super rec. from principals and coop teachers.... top of her class!!!!! she could only find a job as a TA!!!! Don't think you can come here to teach and jump right into a job. It isn't going to happen. Those baby boomers are holding onto their positions pretty tight right now as their spouses are losing their 40lk's and the stock market is taking a beating.... nobody is retiring and school districts are cutting back and not hiring.... it is a bad time to be a teacher..... Colleges are farming out new teachers wide eyed with the idea they are going to get a teaching job ASAP.... they are all moving south or out to Las Vegas.... it isn't happening here. Sorry to be so blunt and most people who know me on here know I am the one with the rose colored glasses.... but on this topic.... it is pretty bad....

Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 PM

16 posts, read 69,628 times
I am from Roch, subbed for three years and finally moved to Las Vegas and now teach sp ed. Go to www.teachers.net At this site you can chat with teachers from every state. You should be able to get info on the job market from each state. If you have sp ed, come to Vegas, you will get hired. Good Luck.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM

14 posts, read 36,000 times
In Upstate New York it is not uncommon to have hundreds of applicantsa for each position, and many of these jobs are already spioken for when they're posted. They interview for show. I applied for a social studies position and there were 300 people vying for a 7th grade postion in a rural county south of Albany. That's what you're up against.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 AM

51 posts, read 171,573 times
I have heard it's easy to get work as a substitute teacher. I know 4 people who sub (or used to), including one of my tenants who just got a job as a sub. It's not steady work and you never know what you're going to teach, but it's teaching...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area