Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 PM

9 posts, read 11,098 times

Advertisements

Back again! Need more data! We're finalizing our budget for our Rochester move. We've gotten a good bead on utilities (via RGE), property taxes (~GULP~), mortgage etc. So my question is, what are the non-obvious stuff that we should be budgeting for. I hear there's snow in them parts, is this part of our tax bill or is this an additional service? I saw some apt ads that noted "snow removal included" - which is a little frightening. Any insight is appreciated, we'll be on a pretty serious budget the first two years, so we'd like to avoid anything out of left-field.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 AM

192 posts, read 530,733 times
Are you moving into an apartment or a house? If you’re moving into an apartment complex that has a parking lot you won’t have to worry about anything. If your moving into your own home ( either renting or buying) you’re on your own. This shouldn’t be too big of a deal though most people just shovel their driveways themselves. Or you could hire a snowplow to come and plow out your driveway but this is kind of considered a luxury here; most people just shovel their driveways themselves.

As far as other things I don’t know…the taxes are pretty steep but on the other hand we do get a lot more services here. Also in NY we don't put sales tax on food the way some southern states do. We don’t get any extreme weather either like tornados or hurricanes here nor is the area prone to extreme flooding either. So you won’t have to worry about purchasing flood or storm insurance here (unless you live right on top of the lake). That’s the upside.

Last edited by Corrion14621; 11-02-2012 at 12:30 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
You will need serious winter clothing, and probably snow tires.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 11,098 times
Moving into a house, but with garage, we're one car only so that should work for us.

Good tip on the winter tires and clothing!! It's still > 90F here at the moment, so I'm
sure you can imagine what our winter wardrobe consists of.

Speaking of winter+car, do most people hose their undercarriage down daily/weekly
once the city has salted the roads?

Thanks again!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnnrd View Post
Moving into a house, but with garage, we're one car only so that should work for us.

Good tip on the winter tires and clothing!! It's still > 90F here at the moment, so I'm
sure you can imagine what our winter wardrobe consists of.

Speaking of winter+car, do most people hose their undercarriage down daily/weekly
once the city has salted the roads?

Thanks again!
I wouldn’t worry about that too much it’s a good idea to bring it through the car wash a few times a season but other than that you’re all good.

Snow tires provide for much better traction but they’re not really mandatory…I get by fine with all-season tires. The city and the town highway departments do an exemplary job of clearing away the snow and ice. The main thoroughfares are almost always blacktop even in the dead of winter. It takes them a little longer to get around to all the side streets and they tend to build up a layer of snow which sits on top of the pavement and can’t easily be plowed away. Sometimes it could be around all season, that’s what you have to watch out for.

No worries though you’ll get the hang of winter driving in no time, after a week or two it’s no big deal

Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
If you're living within city limits, and on a side street, get snow tires. The city does an awful job of plowing side streets and a lot of the times will leave literally 1'+ mounds of snow blocking side streets after plowing main roads that the side roads feed off of. If you don't have very good tires you will get stuck, it's only a matter of time.

Also, if you're in the city, garbage is part of your taxes and free. If you're in a suburb, plan on paying 90 or so every 3 months for trash removal. Water is 30-40 every 3 months as well.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
If you're living within city limits, and on a side street, get snow tires. The city does an awful job of plowing side streets and a lot of the times will leave literally 1'+ mounds of snow blocking side streets after plowing main roads that the side roads feed off of. If you don't have very good tires you will get stuck, it's only a matter of time.

Also, if you're in the city, garbage is part of your taxes and free. If you're in a suburb, plan on paying 90 or so every 3 months for trash removal. Water is 30-40 every 3 months as well.
Probably not bad advice, it never hurts to have snow tires.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnnrd View Post
Back again! Need more data! We're finalizing our budget for our Rochester move. We've gotten a good bead on utilities (via RGE), property taxes (~GULP~), mortgage etc. So my question is, what are the non-obvious stuff that we should be budgeting for. I hear there's snow in them parts, is this part of our tax bill or is this an additional service? I saw some apt ads that noted "snow removal included" - which is a little frightening.
NY doesn't have personal property taxes (annual vehicle taxes) like many other states.

Why frightened about snow removal being included in rentals? That's a good thing! Or are you frightened about snow?

If possible, find a fairly empty parking lot and where there aren't any cars, practice driving in the snow. That's how most people I know learned. Go SLOW!!! Don't worry about the moron behind you who wants to go 80 miles an hour. More often than not, you'll pass him awhile later in a ditch. Swear this happens with every bad storm. I just smile and think tortoise and the hare buddy! Oh and my car isn't all beat up and I'm not sitting there freezing in a snow bank waiting for a tow truck. Have a lovely day!

Oh and something to consider. Stock up canned goods and easy to prep food like pasta. Have a non-electric can opener. A small portable gas grill is good to have as well. Make sure you buy the gas! Bread and peanut butter are always good things to have on hand in case of a power outage. They do happen with bad weather occasionally. It's better to be prepared than having to go to Wegman's the day before a storm. Trust me!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
You and any kids will need warm coats, hats, mittens/gloves, scarves, and boots. Also sweaters and warm pajamas.

For snow removal, you'll need shovels for your driveway (or a snow blower if you want to deal with that), snow scrapers for your car (just to scrape ice off your windows). You might want to get a contract with a guy who plows driveways if you don't want to do it yourself.

Snow removal of the streets is included in your astronomical taxes.

Great idea to be prepared for snowstorms and ice storms.

We never had snow tires. Just good tires. Driving in snow is a skill. It can be very dangerous -- even if you know how to drive, it can be very dangerous. No one can drive on a sheet of ice.

Nobody hoses down their cars because it will freeze. You can kick off big ugly gray dirty chunks of ice and snow that will accumulate on your car, sort of attached to your wheel well. That is usually in February or March.

Have fun!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Nobody hoses down their cars because it will freeze. You can kick off big ugly gray dirty chunks of ice and snow that will accumulate on your car, sort of attached to your wheel well.
I'm one of the weirdos who finds an open carwash (usually at a gas station) on warm days. I don't let the salt sit on my car all winter and eat it. Helps keep the salt off your coat and clothes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area