Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,097,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyway2home View Post
Ok, so million dollar question; Why is Rush-Henrietta, which borders Pittsford and Brighton school districts, got crappy ratings and scores in its high-school when its district elementary and middle school score are high, its location in the city is relatively ideal for commuting just about anywhere, and its racial demographics are actually more diverse? What is this school doing wrong when it could be doing so much better?
I wonder if it has to do with the state school of industry which is / was located in Rush, which is basically a prison for youth offenders. Don't know why this would be combined with the Rush school district, but it's the only thing that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:49 PM

93,376 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I wonder if it has to do with the state school of industry which is / was located in Rush, which is basically a prison for youth offenders. Don't know why this would be combined with the Rush school district, but it's the only thing that comes to mind.
Rush-Henrietta has been one of the most diverse suburban SD's in the area since the 1970's. A good place to check that out is to look at old yearbooks on classmates.com.

In regards to school rankings, this may give an idea of where R-H stands: 2014 Upstate New York school district rankings - Buffalo - Buffalo Business First

2014 Rochester Area school district rankings - Buffalo - Buffalo Business First

Old 03-24-2015, 11:35 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
We've been through this: just because the population doesn't decrease doesn't mean it isnt dying...
Roughly the same number of people are working in the Rochester metro now, as there were in 1990. Population has increased some, since then, so what does that tell you?

Population went up, but the number of people in the workforce is stagnant.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:19 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
I love Rochester, but the city itself - beyond Thunderdome.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 AM

384 posts, read 356,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
When's the last time you've been downtown? Maybe they aren't all out in the open and in everyone's face like brand new buildings and cranes dotting the skyline, but there are plenty of projects in the works downtown and I see it making a decent comeback as the population jumps in the coming years.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,057 times
Quote:
Sure Rochester has its bad pockets like any other city its size, but to classify the entire city as "beyond Thunderdome" is pretty ridiculous.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
When's the last time you've been downtown? Maybe they aren't all out in the open and in everyone's face like brand new buildings and cranes dotting the skyline, but there are plenty of projects in the works downtown and I see it making a decent comeback as the population jumps in the coming years.
Good to see and hear it. Although I am concerned about this thread being bumped back to the top, because that rory troll might be encouraged to return.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:24 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Quote:
I think the problem is that Rochester has absolutely amazing suburbs. I've lived in other cities and their suburbs and quite frankly, Rochester's suburbs are truly difficult to equal. And because of how successful and how fantastic the suburbs are, the city gets compared to them in an unfair way I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Good to see and hear it. Although I am concerned about this thread being bumped back to the top, because that rory troll might be encouraged to return.
haha good point

Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Sure Rochester has its bad pockets like any other city its size, but to classify the entire city as "beyond Thunderdome" is pretty ridiculous.
I think sometimes if people don't venture downtown often, they sometimes forget the great things the city offers.

In the suburbs, there's no Geva, no Frontier Field, no Park Ave, no East Ave, no Jazz Fest, no Highland Park, no Lilac Festival.

I have lived in the city, but currently do live in the suburbs, and will probably always have my permanent home in the suburbs, but I travel into the city pretty much every week for entertainment. And at some point longer term in the future I plan on owning a second home or condo in the city.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:12 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I think sometimes if people don't venture downtown often, they sometimes forget the great things the city offers.

In the suburbs, there's no Geva, no Frontier Field, no Park Ave, no East Ave, no Jazz Fest, no Highland Park, no Lilac Festival.

I have lived in the city, but currently do live in the suburbs, and will probably always have my permanent home in the suburbs, but I travel into the city pretty much every week for entertainment. And at some point longer term in the future I plan on owning a second home or condo in the city.
I agree 100%

It's seems to me like the majority of people who talk so negatively about the city never even go into the city. I've taken my wife and kids into the city a ton of times. We've gone to Redwings games, Americans games, Highland park, downtown parades, high falls/browns race, city parks, museums, and many other places and have never felt uncomfortable walking around.

The only time I've ever felt uncomfortable was when we left the zoo and I decided to take the "side streets", but even then nothing bad happened, just wouldn't go that way again.

I think people just listen to the news (all bad news for ratings of course) and base there judgement on something they know nothing about, and never care to see for themselves, which is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area