Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM

93,362 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

No problem, as those rankings are based off of AP aspects and not overall aspects. Another place to look for school information besides Great Schools or education.com is the NYSED School Report Cards: https://reportcards.nysed.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 PM

79 posts, read 119,347 times
Brighton and Pittsford are both well-established affluent suburban towns. In my opinion, if one would choose either town solely based on their school system, I would choose Brighton and send kids to Harley instead of the Public schools. However, I still think one would get more value to choose living in Victor, saving on the taxes to pay for the private education.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanggz View Post
Brighton and Pittsford are both well-established affluent suburban towns. In my opinion, if one would choose either town solely based on their school system, I would choose Brighton and send kids to Harley instead of the Public schools. However, I still think one would get more value to choose living in Victor, saving on the taxes to pay for the private education.
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you send your children to Brighton public schools given that is highly regarded school district?

Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you send your children to Brighton public schools given that is highly regarded school district?
This is a great question. Brighton public schools are certainly ranked among the national top public schools. There is no question about it. My husband and I both went to public school systems and turned out to be great. However, both of us complained, occasionally, about how we had to take extra efforts and time to get where we want to be, just because we were not in the circle of people who went to the private schools. We decided, based on our personal experience, to send our son to the private school system all the way through and give him the opportunities that we did not have. There are certain things in this society that may not be as black and white as the SAT statistics. This would be a whole different topic on its own. To conclude this reply, I would like to give you an example. You know our President Obama and First Lady Michelle are proponents for the public education. They gave speeches and launched campaigns to help building the public school system. Nevertheless, where are the First Kids going to school? Sidwell Friends School. A quote from the 2008 New York Times article, " Mayor Adrian M. Fenty of Washington strongly lobbied the Obamas to consider a public school, but that was apparently NEVER an option..." Action is louder than words, indeed.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
This is a great question. Brighton public schools are certainly ranked among the national top public schools. There is no question about it. My husband and I both went to public school systems and turned out to be great. However, both of us complained, occasionally, about how we had to take extra efforts and time to get where we want to be, just because we were not in the circle of people who went to the private schools. We decided, based on our personal experience, to send our son to the private school system all the way through and give him the opportunities that we did not have. There are certain unspoken rules in this society that may not be measured by the standardization test statistics. This would be a whole different topic on its own. To conclude this reply, I would like to give you an example. You know our President Obama and First Lady Michelle are proponents for the public education. They gave speeches and launched campaigns to help building the public school system. Nevertheless, where are the First Kids going to school? Sidwell Friends School. A quote from the 2008 New York Times article, " Mayor Adrian M. Fenty of Washington strongly lobbied the Obamas to consider a public school, but that was apparently NEVER an option..." Action is louder than words, indeed.
I see what you are saying and actually, my nieces are in private schools in the area. With that said, I wouldn't discourage anyone from sending their children to schools in either one of those school districts, which are both of high quality.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I see what you are saying and actually, my nieces are in private schools in the area. With that said, I wouldn't discourage anyone from sending their children to schools in either one of those school districts, which are both of high quality.
I think it would be a personal choice. If you could afford it, why would you rob your kids the opportunity he/she can get? I recommend that living in Victor to save the property taxes to invest in your kid's private education...

Again, it is a personal decision that every parent should make wisely.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I think it would be a personal choice. If you could afford it, why would you rob your kids the opportunity he/she can get? I recommend that living in Victor to save the property taxes to invest in your kid's private education...

Again, it is a personal decision that every parent should make wisely.
Exactly or you could even live in a nice city neighborhood if you so desire as well and go private.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly or you could even live in a nice city neighborhood if you so desire as well and go private.
Victor has a very nice neighborhood, where the top executives build their homes, such as the ex-CEO of EarthLink. The Wegmans bought a mansion for one of the daughter as an engagement gift. But they sold it because the wedding was called off. Victor is where the smart money are

Old 08-13-2014, 07:23 AM

Some SE city neighborhoods may appeal to families that want walkability, easy access to amenities/culture and character. Brighton actually has some of this or very close access to these things. So, those things may factor into such a choice.

This isn't to knock Victor, which is nice.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-13-2014 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Some SE city neighborhoods may appeal to families that want walkability, easy access to amenities/culture and character. Brighton actually has some of this or very close access to these things. So, those things may factor into such a choice.

This isn't to knock Victor, which is nice.
I couldn't agree more with you on Brighton's community feel. We have 4 rental properties in Brighton. The tenants love it. All are long-term tenants and we are very happy with the investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area