Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times

Advertisements

I think this is a great plan and spot on. A group of us were talking to Jim McIntosh at the public meeting for the inner loop and he was mentioning that Strong Museum is doing a study right now in creating an urban family entertainment jungle behind the Museum. I think many cities are trying to copy the success of the Strong and creating their own play museums now, so if Strong could create yet another attraction and make it even more of a destination, they will stay as a premier destination place for families.

It could fit great with MLK park being right there.And also capitalize on the Jazz Fest success by creating a performance venue.

Quote:
The city plans to formally seek developers in mid-February to build on five separate parcels along the new Union Street. Multiple developers could vie for a piece of the action, if there's sufficient interest.

Baye Muhammad, the city's neighborhood and business development commissioner, said Tuesday that Mayor Lovely Warren's administration wants a mix of retail, offices and homes to be built — as well as recreation and entertainment that complement the nearby Strong National Museum of Play.

"We also want to focus on the element of play," Muhammad said.

Could that include a water park, an idea that Warren previously raised for the area near The Strong? "I think everything is on the plate," Muhammad said.

An afternoon forum drew roughly 60 people, including a handful of developers interested in the area.

The city wants Union Street to be known as a "nationally renowned destination for play and music" and a "new neighborhood center" with a "unique urban shopping experience," the handout said.

Among the developers at Tuesday afternoon's forum was Nelson Leenhouts, chairman and CEO of Home Leasing LLC. He said he sees the potential for mixed-income housing along Union Street.

Home Leasing is building 72 apartments and 14 townhouses in its nearby Charlotte Square project.

Odell Buggs, who runs her own construction company, said she works with a client who wants to bid on property along the Inner Loop. She declined to name the developer.

It's important to be innovative and build attractions that will draw people from outside the region, including music and art — and most importantly, jobs, Buggs said.

"You have to give people a reason to come to this beautiful city," she said.

Muhammad also said Tuesday that Inner Loop development should complement work on nearby Charlotte Street.

The Inner Loop project focuses on the stretch of expressway from The Strong to just south of East Main Street.
City wants entertainment on Inner Loop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:53 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
I don't know. I guess if it is built adjacent to the Strong, then OK. I really like the renderings of buildings with 1st floor retail with offices and apts above. This is downtown after all and somebody needs to pay for all of this. More jobs downtown is very important.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:38 PM

Yes agreed JW. I think the idea is that this entertainment area would be adjacent to the Strong. The parking lot of both the Strong and the next door apartment building could be used for this with a parking structure built off to the side to remove the surface parking. The current "bubble" tennis club that is next to the strong would also be removed to accommodate this and there's another fenced off surface parking area that isn't really used for much would also be used. The Union Street streetscape would be built up similar to the renderings. There would also be a walkway connecting MLK park to Union. This walkway would also be how the entertainment section is accessed.

Take a look at page 22 here:
http://www.cityofrochester.gov/WorkA...bID=8589965436

And you can see here what it looks like today:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/In...3d7308f531ca73

Old 01-16-2016, 07:53 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Yes agreed JW. I think the idea is that this entertainment area would be adjacent to the Strong. The parking lot of both the Strong and the next door apartment building could be used for this with a parking structure built off to the side to remove the surface parking. The current "bubble" tennis club that is next to the strong would also be removed to accommodate this and there's another fenced off surface parking area that isn't really used for much would also be used. The Union Street streetscape would be built up similar to the renderings. There would also be a walkway connecting MLK park to Union. This walkway would also be how the entertainment section is accessed.

Take a look at page 22 here:
http://www.cityofrochester.gov/WorkA...bID=8589965436

And you can see here what it looks like today:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/In...3d7308f531ca73
Unfortunately I couldn't download the link or find anything on the cities website. What I wonder though is how this will affect the rest of the project. For instance it was my understanding that they were going to connect some streets on the east side to downtown. This looks like it would be right where Park Ave could be extended into downtown.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:23 AM

696 posts, read 905,363 times
What downtown needs is a place like Jillians in the late 90's, before they closed that place was awesome. It was 3 or 4 stories and had multiple bars, clubs, pool tables, arcade games and machines and a bowling alley in it. We should at least bring in a Dave and Busters.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:45 AM

We have a Dave and Buster's coming in about 2 weeks.

Dave & Buster's to bring over 200 jobs to the Rochester area | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WHAM

Old 02-20-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
What downtown needs is a place like Jillians in the late 90's, before they closed that place was awesome. It was 3 or 4 stories and had multiple bars, clubs, pool tables, arcade games and machines and a bowling alley in it. We should at least bring in a Dave and Busters.
But also to add to this, I think what you're envisioning (minus the bars) is along the lines of what The Strong is looking to do. They want to turn that parking lot behind them into a large family entertainment complex of some sort. If you've never been to the second floor or the Strong too you have to check it out. It's full of games (arcade, video games, etc) that are all open to be played.

Also check this out. The Strong is opening the museum to adults only where' they'll open the museum and have food and beer and wine. It's Wed. this week. I already have my tickets.

The Happiest Hour | The Strong

Old 02-21-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I think that's going to be great although nothing can match what Jillians used to be, they need to build another place like that.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 AM

384 posts, read 356,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I think that's going to be great although nothing can match what Jillians used to be, they need to build another place like that.
What about Playhouse/Swillburger that just opened up?

Old 02-22-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
What about Playhouse/Swillburger that just opened up?
It doesn't sound like the same type of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: