Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2020, 04:01 PM

6,505 posts, read 3,188,249 times

Advertisements

First time I've seen this happen. I was in Wegmans Eastway store this morning, around 9:30, or so, to pick up a few things. I grab what I need, and head for the check-out lane. Get there, and all of a sudden, everything comes to a halt. The cash register system goes down...EVERY register in the store, KAPUT!!

It took them about 10 minutes to get the system back up. In the meantime, the lines were growing and growing. Was this isolated to the one store, or did anyone else see this happen?

And just think, if the US ever gets hit with an EMP burst, this is what will happen to EVERYTHING with a computer attached to it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 04:09 PM

214 posts, read 261,989 times
Was this at the Empire Wegmans or were all the stores shutdown ? You know Danny will get this fixed .................Pronto .

Old 11-15-2020, 04:46 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,490,060 times
Was it just the registers, or did the lights go out too? That's pretty creepy if it was just the computer system.

An EMP will fry everything beyond repair, from sea to shining sea. I hope our government is storing "spare parts" somewhere off shore. Way off shore! But who can we trust to bring them back to us?

But to do that would cost us billions of dollars. Maybe trillions.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
Was this at the Empire Wegmans or were all the stores shutdown ?
THAT was my question...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Was it just the registers, or did the lights go out too? That's pretty creepy if it was just the computer system.

An EMP will fry everything beyond repair, from sea to shining sea. I hope our government is storing "spare parts" somewhere off shore. Way off shore! But who can we trust to bring them back to us?

But to do that would cost us billions of dollars. Maybe trillions.
It was just the registers.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:20 PM

5,760 posts, read 4,128,356 times
There was a power glitch in Charlotte, maybe about 5 pm

Old 11-15-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
First time I've seen this happen. I was in Wegmans Eastway store this morning, around 9:30, or so, to pick up a few things. I grab what I need, and head for the check-out lane. Get there, and all of a sudden, everything comes to a halt. The cash register system goes down...EVERY register in the store, KAPUT!!

It took them about 10 minutes to get the system back up. In the meantime, the lines were growing and growing. Was this isolated to the one store, or did anyone else see this happen?

And just think, if the US ever gets hit with an EMP burst, this is what will happen to EVERYTHING with a computer attached to it.....

I would wouldn't bet against there being back up power at every store. If the lights didn't flash, I would think being Sunday morning, they could be doing some software updates.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I wouldn't bet against there being back up power at every store. If the lights didn't flash, I would think being Sunday morning, they could be doing some software updates.
You're probably right, but if so, they didn't pick a good time to do it. 1-2AM would have been far less disruptive, especially in this day and age, where we're being encourages to remain "socially distant", and all of a sudden, you have around 100-125 people all milling around.

I'm still curious if it was just the one store.....

Old 11-16-2020, 06:22 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,490,060 times
Quote:
You're probably right, but if so, they didn't pick a good time to do it. 1-2AM would have been far less disruptive, especially in this day and age, where we're being encourages to remain "socially distant", and all of a sudden, you have around 100-125 people all milling around.

If Wegman's manager decided it was an appropriate time to update the software, he or she should be fired. LOL. Nope. I don't believe anyone would be stupid enough to do that with a store filled with customers.

People laugh at my plush food pantry, but hubby and I both feel it's needed these days. We could go 3/4 months without having to drive to the store if an long-term emergency stuck. We'd miss having fresh produce, but we wouldn't need to worry about anything else.

Both of us lived through the 1991 Ice Storm in Rochester NY. Downed trees ripped out electrical lines... fallen electric poles and trees blocked major roads.... the power was out for several days. Many went weeks before their power was restored. Everything was shut down -- stores, gas stations. If you didn't have it in the cupboard when the storm hit, you certainly wouldn't get it afterwards.

Prior to that storm, hubby and I had nothing extra on hand. No candles. No batteries. No snacks. Very little extra food. We shopped every other day for our needs. We stupidly assumed the stores would always be open for us 24/7.

Nope. We don't live like that anymore. We are prepared well in advance for just about anything! LOL.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I agree, that wouldn't be a good time. I was maybe thinking they were having troubles doing whatever they were doing and it ran late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area